[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross & The Supremes/Love Child

Was this album released in mono?

I have the Love Child LP in mono from the UK - it has a different version/mix/vocal take of "I'll Set You Free"...

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    I have the Love Child LP in mono from the UK - it has a different version/mix/vocal take of "I'll Set You Free"...
    I thought a white label mono pressing was issued to AM radio stations but I could never find it. If it were it was likely the stereo mix simply channeled into mono. Surpisingly the Reflections mono lp, the last on issued commercially had some real surprises on it

It might very well be a stereo fold down to mono mix that I have, too - I'm not sure but I'm glad I have it!
    This is the edition I have;
    https://www.discogs.com/Diana-Ross-A...elease/2381796

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I thought a white label mono pressing was issued to AM radio stations but I could never find it. If it were it was likely the stereo mix simply channeled into mono. Surpisingly the Reflections mono lp, the last on issued commercially had some real surprises on it
    BayouMotownMan, You are very correct that a mono pressing only as a dj copy was done. I have seen it, if i don't already have it in my collection. Not sure at the moment if it is in my vinyl collection as it is in storage and i haven't had the opportunity to start going through my nearly 7,000 lps. That will probably happen in the next year or 2.

Now, I did ask this very question of Andy & George in last December's NightFlight. Andy did confirm that the mono dj releases of Love Child, Live At Talk Of The Town and Funny Girl were all just fold down of the stereo for those dj releases. If the UK had an alternate mono of I'll Set You Free, it would be nice to hear. I love hearing all the alternates!

Ejluther, I'm not at all surprised that Love Child had a different mono mixing for the UK release. Mono was still used more in the UK until, I believe, closer to 1970. Motown probably did alternate master tapes for their needs and forwarded them on. Hopefully Andy & George can ferret more info out on these when they get to the Expanded Edition for those releases.

Quote Originally Posted by greg jones View Post
    BayouMotownMan, ..... If the UK had an alternate mono of I'll Set You Free, it would be nice to hear. I love hearing all the alternates! ....
    Wasn't that included on Hip-O-Select's Diana Ross & the Supremes- Let the Music Play-Supreme Rareties? [[1960-1969)

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Wasn't that included on Hip-O-Select's Diana Ross & the Supremes- Let the Music Play-Supreme Rareties? [[1960-1969)
    Carole, I believe the alternate on LTMP was in Stereo.