[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Supremes A Go-Go by end of the year

This was posted in another thread by Jobetrob, but deserves its own entry:

And for all you fans out there who have been patiently waiting, the Expanded Edition will be out before the end of this year!
    I just can't thank Andy and George enough for this. You make our wishes come true. You are AWESOME!
    Last edited by thanxal; 08-25-2016 at 12:38 PM.

RossHolloway Guest
    I hope you're right!

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    I hope you're right!
    Its from their Facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/Diana-Ross-...=page_internal

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Just curious -- Is this Facebook site maintained by Motown Universal officials?

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Just curious -- Is this Facebook site maintained by Motown Universal officials?
    Under "about" on that page, it says this:
    Expanded editions of the Supremes and Diana Ross catalogs released by Universal Music Group. Produced by Andrew Skurow and George Solomon.
    Andy and/or George may not be allowed to use their own names on the page, though. That's common in industry and government.

Dear Andy, Dear George,
    I'm ready. Any time you are.
    Yours,
    Thanxal
    Name:  waiting.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  75.2 KB

Best news of the year! A million thanks to Andy & George!

...aaaand this just happened:
    Name:  agogo.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  97.3 KB
    Can it really be? Can it be true that I will actually hold a beautifully pink 2-cd set of The Supremes A Go Go Expanded Edition in my eager hands?

Dear Andy, Dear George,
    I'm ready. Any time you are.
    Yours,
    Thanxal
    Name:  waiting.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  75.2 KB
    I'm not sure that I understand what this is. Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure that I understand what this is. Thanks in advance!
    It's an iTunes playlist in anticipation of A Go-Go's release.

...aaaand this just happened:
    Name:  agogo.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  97.3 KB
    Can it really be? Can it be true that I will actually hold a beautifully pink 2-cd set of The Supremes A Go Go Expanded Edition in my eager hands?
    Not to burst your bubble, but Merry Christmas was also a double ... and so was Funny Girl. Also notice how Andy replied "Double" but not "Double CD" ...

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    Not to burst your bubble, but Merry Christmas was also a double ... and so was Funny Girl. Also notice how Andy replied "Double" but not "Double CD" ...
    You certainly could be correct, but in another post they wrote they were hoping for both formats. Let's dream a little!

Andy is usually the guy who responds on FB xpanded page even if it's not his name.

hope it has the longest version of Love is an Itching in my heart..only 4 months left in this year so I will to bet November

If it is a CD release then I am beyond thrilled! If not, file this under yet another wasted opportunity. I was incredible disappointed with the digital-only "releases" of Baby It's Me, Funny Girl, Merry Christmas and Sings Songs From Oz. I bought none of them and will only buy this if it is in fact coming out on CD. As for the previous digital things it should be very easy to license them to another company. There is a 2CD compilation set coming out today in Europe with The Supremes and a 3CD set next month. There is nothing standing in the way of getting these albums out there on CDs for those who want to own their music that way.

I know there is another version or [[earlier version) of Love Is Like a zheatwave that was found.with all the out takes and bonus tracks, I would think this would be a double cd

This is great news. I'll look forward to getting this expanded edition of "Supremes A Go-Go" by years end. Now can we look forward to an expanded edition of "Supremes Sing HDH" for next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    This is great news. I'll look forward to getting this expanded edition of "Supremes A Go-Go" by years end. Now can we look forward to an expanded edition of "Supremes Sing HDH" for next year?
    Absolutely. Our requests keep Andy and George busy! Now, if we could only get a verified email address for Universal to send our wish lists.

I was extremely pleased with the digitally "releases" of Baby It's Me, Funny Girl, Merry Christmas, and Diana Ross Sings Songs From Oz. Any format is welcomed by me, and I am pretty fortunate that if I want a cd of a digital format, I can make one. The music is more important to me than a cd still in its plastic wrapping sitting on a shelf in my closet. But then again, to each his own. Thanks for those providing this new project.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    The music is more important to me than a cd still in its plastic wrapping sitting on a shelf in my closet.
    Jobucats, you are perfectly entitled to your opinion. But for me, I absolutely love reading the booklets of the expanded editions, and the non jewel case, gatefold double cd cases are beautifully designed and lovely just to look at.

I enjoy them without even playing the cd's.

So for me it is definitely NOT all about the music.

That is why fans like myself are so keen on physical format.

I am much more inclined to buy the CD version than a download as unless it's hi-rez, the quality is lacking

Given Universal's recent penchant toward vinyl, I would love to see a 3LP version of Supremes A Go-Go. Disc 1 original mono; disc 2 original stereo; disc 3 - all the goodies.

However, I am medium agnostic: give me a download OR a CD or LP. Don't care*. Want the music.

*except 8-track. Hate those.

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    Jobucats, you are perfectly entitled to your opinion. But for me, I absolutely love reading the booklets of the expanded editions, and the non jewel case, gatefold double cd cases are beautifully designed and lovely just to look at.

I enjoy them without even playing the cd's.

So for me it is definitely NOT all about the music.

That is why fans like myself are so keen on physical format.
    Lakedistrictlad1, you make some excellent points, and I have also been a collector since the 60s. A physical would be ideal, however, I don't want the 'powers that be' to feel that the majority of us must have a cd or we won't buy anything at all. I agree that those booklets are a nice bonus!

Lakedistrictlad1, you make some excellent points, and I have also been a collector since the 60s. A physical would be ideal, however, I don't want the 'powers that be' to feel that the majority of us must have a cd or we won't buy anything at all. I agree that those booklets are a nice bonus!
    You make an excellent point that I completely agree with. We really are at a point where "beggars can't be choosers". The 60s are over, Motown no longer rules the charts [[and hasn't forever) and even the reissue market has collapsed. Streaming is now consolidating between Apple, Amazon, and Google Music. Spotify and Pandora will probably be dead within a year.

When I last went to a "local" record store over 50 miles away [[none exist closer), they were selling DVDs and RECORDS!!! No CDs even in the "bargain bin". I am so happy that I saved my pennies in 1992 and bought every single one of those Motown reissue CDs that were circulated about 1989-92. Of course that includes the original CD release of "A Go-Go" [[plus a still sealed copy I found in S.E. DC in the early 2000s).

Quote Originally Posted by djessie View Post
    If it is a CD release then I am beyond thrilled! If not, file this under yet another wasted opportunity. I was incredible disappointed with the digital-only "releases" of Baby It's Me, Funny Girl, Merry Christmas and Sings Songs From Oz. I bought none of them and will only buy this if it is in fact coming out on CD. As for the previous digital things it should be very easy to license them to another company. There is a 2CD compilation set coming out today in Europe with The Supremes and a 3CD set next month. There is nothing standing in the way of getting these albums out there on CDs for those who want to own their music that way.
    I am aware of The Supremes 3CD set coming next month. Can you tell us more about the 2CD set that came out today? I cannot locate it. Thanks!!!!

I too bought none of the other digital only releases. However, if it has to be a non physical a go go please make a booklet available digitally too. One other thing, why not sell all the booklets from past releases [[CD or otherwise) or make available somehow on line?

and you ALL better buy this immediately and then share the news on line [[Facebook, twitter, whatever) or forever hold your peace!

I don't want the 'powers that be' to feel that the majority of us must have a cd or we won't buy anything at all.
    That's exactly what I do want.

Its no different than politics. If enough people shout loud enough for something they believe in - then things can go in their favour. Don't just take it lying down!

If AGoGo is digital only - I shall not buy. I shall be sorry not to hear it, but I stand firm. Physical or not at all.

So far the digital-only releases have been handled with the same love, care, and detail as the physical releases so I'm happy either way! The best thing about the digital booklets is the way I can zoom in on them via my iPad and make the as big as I want. I really don't understand the complete resistance - the files sound great so just burn them on a disc. And if you're posting on this forum you know how to use a computer so use that to read/print what you want from the digital cover/booklet...or make your own! If you prefer to simply hold your breath until you turn blue over it than I'm sorry you'll be missing out...

Ejluther, I'm a graphic designer. I spend my life looking at graphics in a screen. That's why I prefer not to when I'm at home, relaxing, listening to music.

Ejluther, I'm a graphic designer. I spend my life looking at graphics in a screen. That's why I prefer not to when I'm at home, relaxing, listening to music.
    I'm not a graphics designer but since I know someone who is, I'm in the camp of I want a cd too! lol

Then you understand all about computers and printing, etc. Regardless, I, too, would love a physical CD release but my love for The Supremes and the work Andy & George do with their releases far outweighs any hesitation I have. In fact, I wouldn't miss any of these releases even if they were only released via smoke signals! But to each their own...the problem is that every time someone posts about their refusal to buy digital-only, I [[and others, I imagine) feel the need to respond that they will and vice versa. I think some are upset they may not get what they want exactly the way they want it, while others are afraid they won't get what they want at all...
    Last edited by ejluther; 08-27-2016 at 04:42 PM.

One of the things I am hoping will be on this expanded edition is the mono version of "Baby, I Need Your Lovin'." I recall back in the 60s, as a typical school aged fan, I was given the opportunity by a classmate, who couldn't care less about mono vs. stereo, to trade UP my mono version of the album for his stereo version. Yea, it sounded so fresh until I got to towards the end of "Baby, I Need Your Lovin'?" I thought to myself, "What happened to that sparse instrumental emphasized by the bass where Diana is singing "In the midnight hours......." at 2:21 with Mary and Florence in the background singing, "Baby, I need your loving'?" At that time, I wanted my mono version back and have not been able to find that mix of it since. Yes, the section was on the stereo version, however, it was just too different. Also I recall that "You Can't Hurry Love" had way too much reverb and "aliveness" for my taste. I didn't remember that on what I was hearing on the radio at the time. Just a "Reflection" here, everyone!

One of the things I am hoping will be on this expanded edition is the mono version of "Baby, I Need Your Lovin'." I recall back in the 60s, as a typical school aged fan, I was given the opportunity by a classmate, who couldn't care less about mono vs. stereo, to trade UP my mono version of the album for his stereo version. Yea, it sounded so fresh until I got to towards the end of "Baby, I Need Your Lovin'?" I thought to myself, "What happened to that sparse instrumental emphasized by the bass where Diana is singing "In the midnight hours......." at 2:21 with Mary and Florence in the background singing, "Baby, I need your loving'?" At that time, I wanted my mono version back and have not been able to find that mix of it since. Yes, the section was on the stereo version, however, it was just too different. Also I recall that "You Can't Hurry Love" had way too much reverb and "aliveness" for my taste. I didn't remember that on what I was hearing on the radio at the time. Just a "Reflection" here, everyone!
    I, too, am excited about the whole LP in mono and have a very special place in my heart for that very section of "Baby, I Need Your Lovin'" so bring it on! Dare we hope for a live concert version of "Love Is Like An Itchin' In My Heart"? The only one from that time period I've heard was from The Ed Sullivan Show [[a smashing version in itself)...what else is on fans' wish-lists?

Hmmmm .... Are you saying tha the track with the sparse instrumental emphasized by the bass where Diana is singing "In the midnight hours......." at 2:21 with Mary and Florence in the background singing, "Baby, I Need Your Loving'?" is not on any CD that has been released, i.e., that it's only on the original mono LP? You may be right, but I'd swear that I have heard it in the recent past and I surely no longer play the LP. :-) Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    Then you understand all about computers and printing, etc. Regardless, I, too, would love a physical CD release but my love for The Supremes and the work Andy & George do with their releases far outweighs any hesitation I have. In fact, I wouldn't miss any of these releases even if they were only released via smoke signals! But to each their own...the problem is that every time someone posts about their refusal to buy digital-only, I [[and others, I imagine) feel the need to respond that they will and vice versa. I think some are upset they may not get what they want exactly the way they want it, while others are afraid they won't get what they want at all...
    ejluther. Don't get worried about us CD preferers.........look what happened when cd's first came out.....as in Never Before Released Masters was ONLY on cd....so we HAD to get it eventually

I am hoping that the digital download only for Funny Girl, Merry Christmas, and Songs From The Wiz were because those albums have limited appeal.

I am hoping that A' Go-Go and HDH will be viewed as having greater appeal and would surely be worthy of a CD release similar to More Hits and WDOLG.

Hmmmm .... Are you saying tha the track with the sparse instrumental emphasized by the bass where Diana is singing "In the midnight hours......." at 2:21 with Mary and Florence in the background singing, "Baby, I Need Your Loving'?" is not on any CD that has been released, i.e., that it's only on the original mono LP? You may be right, but I'd swear that I have heard it in the recent past and I surely no longer play the LP. :-) Thanks.
    If I may, that lovely section is on the stereo mix that's been released on CD, it's just that the mono mix of that section has a different feel/mix/punch to it...

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    I am hoping that the digital download only for Funny Girl, Merry Christmas, and Songs From The Wiz were because those albums have limited appeal.

I am hoping that A' Go-Go and HDH will be viewed as having greater appeal and would surely be worthy of a CD release similar to More Hits and WDOLG.
    That makes perfect sense to me...

the very biggest titles should have been released first , establishing a sales record..but they choose to start with "Meet The Supremes" [[after the 'sold out' success of 'Where Did Our love Go, which may have over-emboldened them)a bold but not wise move.. hopefully A Go Go will re set the wheel..

If I may, that lovely section is on the stereo mix that's been released on CD, it's just that the mono mix of that section has a different feel/mix/punch to it...
    I can't find any other reissue CD, LP or cassette of Baby I Need Your Lovin' in mono. I checked every CD I have [[which is almost everything ever released). I can't play the cassette version since I lack a working tape deck. Baby I Need Your Lovin' by the Supremes is only on one CD that I have and that's the 1993 stereo reissue. Unless its on a Motown general compilation, I don't think the Mono version exists on CD. A quick iTunes/Amazon/Google music search turns up nothing.
    Last edited by thanxal; 08-27-2016 at 07:12 PM.

As far as I know, the mono mix of "Baby..." isn't on CD/digital yet - I have a mono LP of A Go-Go and that's the only way I've heard it.

I am aware of The Supremes 3CD set coming next month. Can you tell us more about the 2CD set that came out today? I cannot locate it. Thanks!!!!
    The 2 CD set is called Ultimate Supremes. It is listed on Amazon.de and amazon.co.uk. The title of the CD is mislabeled on the German site but it has the cover artwork and the tracklist. Just type in the The Supremes and sort the titles by release date. I bought my copy on amazon uk and I'm just waiting for them to ship it. I also saw a copy on e-bay a couple of days ago. Hope this helps.

That's exactly what I do want.

Its no different than politics. If enough people shout loud enough for something they believe in - then things can go in their favour. Don't just take it lying down!

If AGoGo is digital only - I shall not buy. I shall be sorry not to hear it, but I stand firm. Physical or not at all.
    I absolutely agree. While I do understand that the market may not be big for these titles on CD there is an even smaller one for digital releases of 50 year old records. There are loads of old titles coming out on CD's in the UK as deluxe editions, some by artists people barely even know. These are stocked in stores like HMV and Fopp in the UK and many of these titles sell quite well. If albums by La Toya Jackson [[for example) can be released in the US as expanded deluxe editions then surely the same can be done for Diana Ross/The Supremes. If Universal don't want to to it themselves they can license the albums to one of the several companies that are releasing all these expanded/deluxe CD's [[many of them are in the UK).

Until then I am not going to spend money on something I don't really want when a much better product could easily be made available. And as for the "get with the times" comments: yes, people have been through 8trks, vinyl, CD's etc - but all of those were physical products. The vinyl has been making a big comeback because a lot of people are starting to miss having actual products in their hands. I even know several teenagers that have bought a record player recently and are buying their favorite albums on vinyl to own and cherish, both new and used.

Bottom line: there are still loads of CD's being released all over the world. Every year we get new compilations with previously available material. In Japan they keep re-releasing the old albums on CDs. There is clearly still some money being made from CD's and just because the record companies can make more money by throwing something online and charge people for it does not mean that everyone should run like a flock of sheeps to buy it [[no offense to those who do buy digital). But if those of us who want the physical products keep our mouths shut the "powers" are just going to look at low sales numbers of digital releases and think that there is very little interest in these albums. I want them to know that in addition to the people who bought the digital releases there are also many people out there that would buy these titles on CD's. Just do limited editions on CDs and make everyone happy. It really is not that difficult.
    Last edited by djessie; 08-28-2016 at 01:05 PM.

The 2 CD set is called Ultimate Supremes. It is listed on Amazon.de and amazon.co.uk. The title of the CD is mislabeled on the German site but it has the cover artwork and the tracklist. Just type in the The Supremes and sort the titles by release date. I bought my copy on amazon uk and I'm just waiting for them to ship it. I also saw a copy on e-bay a couple of days ago. Hope this helps.
    I didn't know about either of these, I guess...what's the 3CD one all about?

ETA: so this is the 2CD one?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Co...imate+supremes

I can't find it at the German Amazon site you mentioned - can you post the link, please?

and this is the 3CD one?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-Love-E...words=supremes

Any more info to be had about them? Are they repackages of earlier compilations?
    Last edited by ejluther; 08-28-2016 at 03:02 PM. Reason: updated info

THANKS so much. I found these sets on the UK, French and German sites. Of course, we know and expect that these are compilations. But for collectors, they are something new! :-)

I appreciate your help!

Disc 1
    1. Love Train - The Supremes
    2. Everybody's Got The Right To Love [[Album Version) - The Supremes
    3. You're My Driving Wheel [[Promo Single Version) - The Supremes
    4. Up The Ladder To The Roof [[Single Version / Mono) - The Supremes
    5. The Sha-La Bandit - The Supremes
    6. Floy Joy [[Single Version) - The Supremes
    7. I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking - The Supremes
    8. Stoned Love [[Single Version) - The Supremes
    9. The Composer [[Single Version [[Mono)) - Diana Ross & The Supremes
    10. No Matter What Sign You Are [[Album Version / Stereo) - Diana Ross & The Supremes
    11. I'm Livin' In Shame [[Juke Box Single Version / Stereo) - Diana Ross & The Supremes
    12. In And Out Of Love [[Single Version / Stereo) - Diana Ross & The Supremes
    13. Forever Came Today [[Single Version) - Diana Ross & The Supremes
    14. Some Things You Never Get Used To [[Single Version / Stereo) - Diana Ross & The Supremes
    15. Love Child [[Album Version / Stereo) - Diana Ross & The Supremes
    16. Reflections [[Album Version / Stereo) - Diana Ross & The Supremes

Disc 2
    1. There's No Stopping Us Now [[Album Version) - The Supremes
    2. Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart - The Supremes
    3. Standing At The Crossroads Of Love [[Single Version) - Diana Ross & The Supremes
    4. You Can't Hurry Love - The Supremes
    5. The Happening [[Album Version [[Stereo)) - The Supremes
    6. Whisper You Love Me Boy [[Album Version / Stereo) - Diana Ross & The Supremes
    7. My World Is Empty Without You [[Stereo) - The Supremes
    8. Love Is Here And Now You're Gone [[Album Version) - The Supremes
    9. I Hear A Symphony [[Album Version) - The Supremes
    10. Everything Is Good About You - The Supremes
    11. Nothing But Heartaches [[Juke Box Single Version / Stereo) - The Supremes
    12. Run, Run, Run [[Single Version / Mono) - The Supremes
    13. Ask Any Girl [[Album Version [[Mono)) - The Supremes
    14. When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes [[Album Version) - Diana Ross & The Supremes
    15. Stop! In The Name Of Love [[Single Version / Mono) - The Supremes
    16. I'm Gonna Make You Love Me [[Album Version/Stereo) - Diana Ross & The Supremes, The Temptations
    Last edited by longtimefan; 08-28-2016 at 12:50 PM.

I didn't know about either of these, I guess...what's the 3CD one all about?

ETA: so this is the 2CD one?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Co...imate+supremes

I can't find it at the German Amazon site you mentioned - can you post the link, please?

and this is the 3CD one?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-Love-E...words=supremes

Any more info to be had about them? Are they repackages of earlier compilations? The Ultimate Supremes one clearly is [[if that's the right link above)...
    Yes, those are the ones. I haven't found a track list yet for Baby Love. Here is the link to Ultimate Collection:

https://www.amazon.de/%C3%963-Greate...s=the+supremes

For some reason the title is all messed up, that's why it doesn´t come up in search.

Many thanks for the info!

I can't find any other reissue CD, LP or cassette of Baby I Need Your Lovin' in mono. I checked every CD I have [[which is almost everything ever released). I can't play the cassette version since I lack a working tape deck. Baby I Need Your Lovin' by the Supremes is only on one CD that I have and that's the 1993 stereo reissue. Unless its on a Motown general compilation, I don't think the Mono version exists on CD. A quick iTunes/Amazon/Google music search turns up nothing.
    Can anyone confirm whether the version by Diana Ross & The Supremes on the 24 track bootleg CD "Sing Motown" is in mono or stereo [[presumably the latter)?
    Attachment 11663

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Can anyone confirm whether the version by Diana Ross & The Supremes on the 24 track bootleg CD "Sing Motown" is in mono or stereo [[presumably the latter)?
    Attachment 11663
    I can't confirm, Mysterysinger, but I sure need a copy! If I'm not mistaken, this is the only time that Diana's solo version of "For Once in My Life" has ever appeared on CD, bootleg or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Attachment 11663
    Mysterysinger,

I own this CD, but I really don't have the "skill" to tell if the track is stereo or mono. Sorry.