[REMOVE ADS]

Pharrell, robin thicke & t-i appeal ruling for gaye family

It must be a principal thing because eventually they may spend more money in court costs than the amount of the settlement but they are still fighting the judge's ruling. I would say "give it up" no pun, well maybe a little.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/pharrell...013931718.html

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    It must be a principal thing because eventually they may spend more money in court costs than the amount of the settlement but they are still fighting the judge's ruling. I would say "give it up" no pun, well maybe a little.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/pharrell...013931718.html
    All I can say to them is uh, good luck with that! In light of the most recent plagiarism case involving Marvin Gaye's work, they are going to have a very hard time.

They need to just man up and pay up.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    All I can say to them is uh, good luck with that! In light of the most recent plagiarism case involving Marvin Gaye's work, they are going to have a very hard time.
    I agree totally

This appeal will be laughed out of court. Now that there's a new plagiarism case against another artist for ripping off Marvin's work, they won't take this seriously. I think this is also their second appeal [[the first was dropped and I think the payment was dropped somewhat from what it was originally). You think having to pay less than $10 million would be chump change. Everyone is probably yawning at Robin and Pharrell now.

I don't have a problem with people sampling other artists work, as long as they pay for it, but to deliberately make a song that sounds like another track, but making enough differences so that the original artist doesn't get any money for it, is cynical, and, in my opinion, verging on outright theft.
    I admit I know nothing about the music business, but in my layman's opinion, they come across as a couple of complete counts, and I hope they end up having to pay out even more money.

I'll say again what I said at the very beginning of this situation. When I heard "Blurred Lines" the first thing I thought of was "Got to Give it Up" by Marvin Gaye.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I'll say again what I said at the very beginning of this situation. When I heard "Blurred Lines" the first thing I thought of was "Got to Give it Up" by Marvin Gaye.
    My sentiments exactly the moment I heard it and was nowhere near a favorite Marvin composition of mine. Thicke had already crossed the line on a previous album, but, Pharrell? I was stumped because I am an N.E.R.D. fan, as well as, a lot of his and Chad's work. I was at a loss for words and tried hard not to judge prematurely. Pharrell seemed to walk away unscathed while Thicke's problems have threatened to ruin his career. Yet on his very first single he rips off "Fifth of Beethoven". Was that a sign of what was to come though I really liked "When I Get You Alone".

Same beat for sure
    Vocal uses same rhythm not melody repeated over and over....Its not sampled. Should this constitute a theft? No. Was it a conscious effort to retain that groove? Yes, it had to be....But how do you copywrite a groove? Hell everyone would be out of business in the pop world.
    It's not as blatant as "Super Freak" and "Can't Touch This" at all. It's just jury sympathy for the dead guy's family. WHF! Well done prosecution and plaintiffs!