[REMOVE ADS]

Netflix series "the get down"

There's a new series on Netflix called "The Get Down" that is based on the beginning of hip hop and also touches on the disco era and the music industry. I believe that it's about the beginnings of Grand Master Flash. The story line and acting is good and the music is awesome. Jaiden Smith is one of the starts of the show. I watched a few episodes last night back to back and enjoyed it.

Thanks for the link marv2. Between the title of the post and it being in the Motown thread I would have NEVER seen this. Just finished watching the first season though.

They used Devil's Gun by C.J. and Company is the first episode. It was produced by Mike Theodore and me and mixed by Tom Moulton.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis_coffey View Post
    They used Devil's Gun by C.J. and Company is the first episode. It was produced by Mike Theodore and me and mixed by Tom Moulton.
    Dennis I never knew you were involved with that record. That was one of favorites back then.

Dennis,

Looking at the credits, I assume the album was produced and then a group called C.J. & Co was put together to promote it? Regards Mike

Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 09-18-2016 at 09:31 AM.

C.J. and Co. was originally a group called The Strides recorded by me and Mike Theodore. Later they added two girls to the group when one of the guys left and changed their name to C.J. and Co. They were a vocal group but probably put together a road band for touring when the record became a hit.

C.J. and Co. was originally a group called The Strides recorded by me and Mike Theodore. Later they added two girls to the group when one of the guys left and changed their name to C.J. and Co. They were a vocal group but probably put together a road band for touring when the record became a hit.
    We were having a discussion similar to this in the Motown Forum. That it was a pretty common practice during that era to put together a touring/performance group once a record became very popular.

Dennis did you get to catch the tribute radio station CKWW Windsor 580AM did to you on your last birthday?

I did not. I know Charlie O'Brian a DJ over there but he retired.

I did not. I know Charlie O'Brian a DJ over there but he retired.
    I am sorry you missed it because they did great job on it. Gave your bio and played lots of your music over the hour of the tribute. Yeah Charlie O'Brian is great. Wasn't he one of the CKLW Jocks?

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Dennis,

Looking at the credits, I assume the album was produced and then a group called C.J. & Co was put together to promote it? Regards Mike

Mike, this clip is from local Detroit show called "The Scene" that aired every afternoon from 5pm -6pm on WGPR Channel 62. I watched it just about everyday when I was in high school. The producer, Nat Morris is a friend of my brother. Love this. Thank you.

Great clip! Brings back a lot of memories. Great Show too.

Everyone that has not seen this in my opinion great series, here is the trailer: