[REMOVE ADS]

Five masterpieces-your personal alltime best...!

HEY GANG,YEP I'M AT IT AGAIN[HEHE]OH LET'S HAVE SOME FUN,BUT YOU GOTTA PICK YOUR MUSICAL BRAIN TOO..LET'S NAME YOUR TOP FIVE BEST WRITTEN SONGS[only five no cheating]OK I'LL GIVE IT A SHOT...WHEN A MAN LOVES A WOMAN-PERCY SLEDGE...WHAT'S GOIN ON-MARVIN GAYE...BALL OF CONFUSION-THE TEMPTATIONS...FAMILY REUNION-THE O'JAYS...HOLLY-SMOKEY,NOW AS YOU CAN SEE BY MY CHOICES I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT A REAL PRETTY SONG BUT A WELL CRAFTED ONE...[I'lll be over here by the water cooler].

Sorry! No can do! Too many to name.

Come on soulster,don't leave me hangin...just need five!!

This will be hard, but here goes.......

Baby I Need Your Loving - Four Tops [[loved it since I was a very young kid and has been my favorite every since).

Always and Forever - Heatwave [[A lot of strong memories tied up in this one.)

These Eyes - The Guess Who [[ Never tire of hearing this one)

I Who Have Nothing - Ben E. King [[ Short and sweet)

Please Return Your Love to Me - The Temptations [[ fugittaboutitt! LOL!)

This list would change every day for me. At 1:00 PM on August 23, 2016, the last five songs I want to hear before they lead me to the gas chamber would be:
    1. Sueno by Spyro Gyra
    2. Brighton By The Sea by Bob James
    3. Angels by The BoDeans
    4. Sunless Saturday by Fishbone
    5. Thembi by Pharaoh Sanders

I could promise you that this list will change along with my mood. I don't have five favorite songs. I don't have five favorite artists. Heck, I don't have five favorite genres of music.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    This list would change every day for me. At 1:00 PM on August 23, 2016, the last five songs I want to hear before they lead me to the gas chamber would be:
    1. Sueno by Spyro Gyra
    3. Angels by The BoDeans

I could promise you that this list will change along with my mood. I don't have five favorite songs. I don't have five favorite artists. Heck, I don't have five favorite genres of music.
    I could probably do 100 Top 5 lists myself LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Come on soulster,don't leave me hangin...just need five!!
    Five isn't enough. Try 100! Check it out: I have over 80,000 songs in my collection. No way can I pick just five out of all those.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Five isn't enough. Try 100! Check it out: I have over 80,000 songs in my collection. No way can I pick just five out of all those.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  21.1 KB
    Exactly the same for me. I have over 300,000. I have a top 1,000 of all PERFECT songs. They couldn't have been written, played or performed better. It would be doing all the reast an injustice to choose only 5.

LOOK GUYS I HEAR YOU,BUT WHO'S GONNA ACTUALLY MAKE A LIST OF A HUNDRED SONGS [heck I wouldn't even do that]SO THAT'S WHY I SAID FIVE, NEXT TIME I'M GONNA ASK FOR FIFTY!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    LOOK GUYS I HEAR YOU,BUT WHO'S GONNA ACTUALLY MAKE A LIST OF A HUNDRED SONGS [heck I wouldn't even do that]SO THAT'S WHY I SAID FIVE, NEXT TIME I'M GONNA ASK FOR FIFTY!!
    Ask for 42. hehehehehehehehehehehe!

1. Sueno by Spyro Gyra
    3. Angels by The BoDeans

Views: 186
    Man am I behind the times. I've never heard any of those songs, nor even the artists. I've read the name Spyro Gyra, but never even seen a photo of them. nor heard any of their songs.

Views: 185
    Off the top of my head:
    1) Red Sails In The Sunset - The Five Keys
    2) I'm Yours - The Flamingos
    3) Grand Spanish Lady - The Royal Ravens
    4) Young Boy - Barbara Green
    5) Up On The Roof - The Drifters

Every day they could change for the next year, and they'd all still be PERFECT songs.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 186
    Man am I behind the times. I've never heard any of those songs, nor even the artists. I've read the name Spyro Gyra, but never even seen a photo of them. nor heard any of their songs.
    You and me, both, Robb. The most recent of those songs came out around 1993. And curiously, although my favorite genre is soul/R&B, those songs are all contemporary jazz and rock records. If we to redo the list right now, it'd be completely different. That's the problem with only five songs.

1. Sueno by Spyro Gyra
    3. Angels by The BoDeans

This got me thinking...I myself can't do the five favorite song thing because like most my
    list would change every day, hell every hour...Said, I think you threw a curveball at robb k,
    because he doesn't know Thembi is not technically a song per se but an instrumental [[not
    to mention one I've been crazy about since it's release). Then again part of that is due to
    his own listening habits... his cut off year thing...Anyway, though I'm like you in that I find
    it hard to list favorite anythings , I just realized today that I do indeed have 5 favorite genres...
    Jazz
    Classic Soul
    Funk
    Blues
    and so called "world" music...Everything else follows. Huh...Never thought of that before...

In no particular order, my favorite genres are soul/R&B, jazz, gospel, funk, and blues, although I love reggae and like a lot of rock and country, as well. To complicate things, I prefer my soul/R&B in order of the 70s, 60s, and then 50s. Very close between the last two, by the way and I don't really consider urban music since the late 70s to fit into the genre. I have a hard time with considering the music of different eras the same regardless of the label on the genre.

Then, I love classic jazz as well as the stuff produced by the likes of Grover, Bob James, David Sanborn and company in the 70s and 80s. I also dig fusion jazz. I like throwback guitar rock by groups like the BoDeans and REM. George Clinton is my musical hero followed by John Williams. I guess I'm just a music fan and I know what I like when I hear it.

Imagine a confused soul like mine picking five songs that I like the most...

Views: 156
    I had known that Pharaoh Sanders was a musician. So, I assumed it was an instrumental. And, I remembered [[in the back of my mind) that SpyroGyra was a Jazz "band". The only "relatively recent" music [[1970-2016) I like is Jazz [[mostly instrumentals). So, I may well like all 5 of those songs referred to by Jerry.

My favourite genres are R&B and Soul music. I can't choose between them. Blues, Jazz, and Gospel follow closely behind.

My favourite years in R&B are in this order:

In Soul:

I like 1960s Jazz best, then 1950s, then 1970s, then 1940s.

I like 1950s and 1940s Blues best, then 1930s, then 1960s.

I like 1950s and 1940s Gospel best, then 1960s, then 1930s, then 1970s.

I like some "easy listening Pop", like Nat King Cole, Billy Eckstine, Sarah Vaughn, Dinah Washington, etc. But, they'd probably be considered Jazz singers.

I also like The "Girls Group sound" [[even those more "Poppish" cuts, that wouldn't be considered marginal Soul. And I like the better "Surf Music" [[1962-66) [[Beach Boys, Jan & Dean, Rip Chords, Bruce & Terry, Fantastic Baggies, Four Kings, Deltas, Dick Dale & Deltones, etc. and the best singers among "Twee Pop"[[The Four Seasons, Four Evers, Van Dyke Fine, Del Shannon, Lou Christie, etc).

You're a lot like me, Robb, although your choice of music tends to run a couple of decades before mine. I'd guess that you're a fan of analog recording. I like jazz that goes back to the 30s, including big band, but I love the remastered, cleaned up restorations over many of the original recordings. Especially some of the cuts that have been reissued by John Coltrane and Miles Davis. I have not heard many blues records from the 30s, 40s, and 50s that have been digitally cleaned up.

Good stuff guys,i too can go back some with folks like the mills brothers-billie holiday-duke ellington.

Makin Time - Frankie & the Spindels
    The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game - Marvelettes
    Tender Love - Force MDs
    Heartaches I Can Surely Heal - Temps
    Fire & Desire - RJ & Lady T