[REMOVE ADS]

DJ Kool Herc's Bronx Party Kick-Starts Hip-Hop Music Today in 1973!

Clive 'Kool Herc' Campbell is throwing a party in the rec room of his South Bronx, New York, apartment building and he plays dance music on the 'Merry Go Round,' two manually-controlled turntables. It's a great success, and DJ Kool Herc will be hailed by many as the father of hip-hop.

So goes the story. Oft repeated still, I always find it hard to believe any genre of music can be
    credited to any single individual. But then again Herc's innovations to the very complex
    sound system tradition can't be denied. What I find hard to digest is how a style at birth
    black underground music and in infancy viewed as pure novelty, a passing fad, many
    wishfully thought has become not only mainstream but global while the day to day lives
    of the descendants of it's originators is still mired in the violence, drugs and for many
    poverty that the first generation was trying to escape. All while many of the newer
    voices get wealthy glorifying the degradation. i can't even listen to 90 percent of hip
    hop today. Not only is most of literally vapid there's almost no musicality left in it. I'd
    rather listen to just about anything else even genres I used to avoid...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    So goes the story. Oft repeated still, I always find it hard to believe any genre of music can be
    credited to any single individual. But then again Herc's innovations to the very complex
    sound system tradition can't be denied. What I find hard to digest is how a style at birth
    black underground music and in infancy viewed as pure novelty, a passing fad, many
    wishfully thought has become not only mainstream but global while the day to day lives
    of the descendants of it's originators is still mired in the violence, drugs and for many
    poverty that the first generation was trying to escape. All while many of the newer
    voices get wealthy glorifying the degradation. i can't even listen to 90 percent of hip
    hop today. Not only is most of literally vapid there's almost no musicality left in it. I'd
    rather listen to just about anything else even genres I used to avoid...
    Amen Splanky!

Splanky please check out "The Get Down" on Netflix.

One of the first records Kool Herc used to create a break, to create his art:

Yea, marv, I remember that. Don't mean to throw shade at you but I don't do netflix. As
    bad as I want to see several recent films such as the Miles Davis movie, Nina Simone film
    and the action flick London Has Fallen I avoid netflix like the plague. Unless something shows
    up unflagged on youtube I generally leave it alone....I've seen the The Get Down trailer
    but rather than revisiting the history of genres I pretty much have lost the use for I rather
    see more Unsungs that cater to the music of my generation . 70's music, when real singing
    and real musical instrument playing was the standard....

Yea, marv, I remember that. Don't mean to throw shade at you but I don't do netflix. As
    bad as I want to see several recent films such as the Miles Davis movie, Nina Simone film
    and the action flick London Has Fallen I avoid netflix like the plague. Unless something shows
    up unflagged on youtube I generally leave it alone....I've seen the The Get Down trailer
    but rather than revisiting the history of genres I pretty much have lost the use for I rather
    see more Unsungs that cater to the music of my generation . 70's music, when real singing
    Splanky if there were some way I could convince you. This series "The Get Down" is so much more than just about the music. It mirrors coming of age for particular black and latinos in harder areas of this country during [[I'm guessing) our generation the late 60's- 70s. The story lines are spot on as they say.

I've had people calling and texting me from all over to see if I watched it. They have the first 6 episodes up. I promise if you started watching the first one, you'll binge watch them all. I have Netfilix and Hulu because no longer watch cable/commercial television. I am thinking of dropping Hulu.

BTW, the Nina Simone film/documentary was the sheet! LOL!