Robb K's Detroit R&B/Soul Quiz # 11

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  21.1 KB
    1) Who was Dino Courray
    . For whom did he work, and when?
    2) What was Johnny West's birth name?
    3) Who owned Exit Records?
    4) What major labels picked up Solid Hitbound Productions?
    5) Who recorded for Oncore, SVR and Hanna Barbera
    Last edited by robb_k; 08-08-2016 at 02:37 AM.

This is a very difficult one Robb, but I have not given up yet!

Views: 161
    Yes, ALL my quizzes are quite difficult. In the old days [[2002-2007), we had Ron Murphy, Carl Pelagrino, Davie Gordon, Graham Finch, The Count, Joe Moorhouse, Sis Detroit, and several other long-time Detroiters and Detroit experts to answer my questions. On one of my quizzes with 25 or 30 questions, like the 45 question quiz I just gave last week, MOST of my questions were answered by other posters. Usually, I'd only have to reveal one or two that no one could get. Now, MOST of my questions go unanswered. It's a shame. I posted the quiz to bring some of those posters who still look in here now and then, to slightly more posting.

I guess most of them have moved on in their lives, and have no time to post here. Some, in addition to Ron Murphy, may be deceased.

4) I'm pretty sure Atlantic or Atco picked up on something, but I'm hanged if I can remember what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    4) I'm pretty sure Atlantic or Atco picked up on something, but I'm hanged if I can remember what it was.
    It was Atlantic Records.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It was Atlantic Records.
Views: 158
    What Solid Hitbound Production was on Atlantic?

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 158
    What Solid Hitbound Production was on Atlantic?
    Was it Darrell Banks "Open the Door to Your Heart"?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Was it Darrell Banks "Open the Door to Your Heart"?
Views: 167
    Not as a 45. But ATCO picked up Revilot's Darrell Banks product for his ATCO LP, and "Open The Door To Your Heart" was one of the songs. He also Had 3 ATCO singles issued.

So, YES, you have provided one correct portion of the answer to Question #4. Actually, they picked up more than just Darrell Banks, as they also picked up The Parliaments' later Revilot [[Solid Hitbound) cuts and put out 2 ATCO 45s. Also, Atlantic, through their Stax/Volt distribution deal, released the "Rare Stamps" album, of J.J. Barnes and Steve Mancha's Groovesville cuts [[Don Davis's label, which, at that time was distributed by Solid Hitbound Productions and half-owned by each of Lebaron Taylor and Don Davis).

BUT, there were several more instances of major Soul and major national labels who picked up Solid Hitbound product for release. I hope some of you will list them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 167
    Not as a 45. But ATCO picked up Revilot's Darrell Banks product for his ATCO LP, and "Open The Door To Your Heart" was one of the songs. He also Had 3 ATCO singles issued.

So, YES, you have provided one correct portion of the answer to Question #4. Actually, they picked up more than just Darrell Banks, as they also picked up The Parliaments' later Revilot [[Solid Hitbound) cuts and put out 2 ATCO 45s. Also, Atlantic, through their Stax/Volt distribution deal, released the "Rare Stamps" album, of J.J. Barnes and Steve Mancha's Groovesville cuts [[Don Davis's label, which, at that time was distributed by Solid Hitbound Productions and half-owned by each of Lebaron Taylor and Don Davis).

BUT, there were several more instances of major Soul and major national labels who picked up Solid Hitbound product for release. I hope some of you will list them as well.
    Thank you Robb! I am learning new things from your quizzes.

Views: 146
    Mercury, Verve, and Imperial also picked up individual Solid Hitbound productions.
    Last edited by robb_k; 08-14-2016 at 03:00 AM.

I'm adding a question:
    6) What labels leased Correc-Tone productions, and which individual ones?

6. Ric Tic reissued Gino Washington's Gino Is A Coward/ Puppet On A String.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    6. Ric Tic reissued Gino Washington's Gino Is A Coward/ Puppet On A String.
Views: 136
    Yes, Ric-Tic leased the same "Gino Is A Coward" which was originally released on Correc-Tone's subsidiary, SonBert Records. This was NOT the original form of the song, titled "I'm A Coward", which was released on Correc-Tone 503.

Views: 130
    Looks like there's no one around to answer these questions. I guess they are too difficult for the few that are left. Ron Murphy [[deceased), David Meikle, Carl Pelagrino, Davie Gordon, Graham Finch, Joe Moorehouse & Co. could have answered these.

The remaining pick-up labels for Solid Hitbound Productions - Question #4, were:
    Liberty Records' subsidiary, Imperial Records - 3 O'Jays records, including "I'll Never Forge You" and "I'll Never Let You Go" and MGM subsidiary, Verve Records, who picked up Terry Bryant's "Geni"/"When I'm In Your Arms".

Question #1: Dino Courreay was the second A&R man and main producer for Carmen Murphy's HOB, Starmaker, and Soul Records from late 1962 through early 1963, after Mike Hanks quit to go out on his own.

Question #2: Johnny West was an alias for Buddy Lamp.

Question #3: Mike Hanks owned Exit Records, which had releases by The Paragons [[Dee Edwards lead), and Duke Browner.

Question #5: The Four Gents recorded for Oncore, SVR and Hanna Barbera Records.

Question #6: The following records were leased from Correc-Tone Records in 1962 and 1963 [[or, originally recorded for Correc-Tone, but when Robert Bateman broke away from Wilbur Golden for non-payment, he leased them himself):

MGM's Cub Records, spring 1962:
    Cub 9111 - James Velvet - "Bouquet of Flowers" [[Correc-Tone 502)
    Cub 9112 - The Pyramids - "I'm The Playboy" [[Son Bert No #)
    Cub 9113 - Wilson Pickett - "Let Me Be Your Boy" [[Correc-Tone 501)

Bob Shad's Brent/Time Records, fall 1962:
    Brent 7033 - The Donays - "Devil In His Heart"/"Bad Boy"
    Brent 7035 - Laura Johnson - "I Know How It Feels"
    Time 1055 - Marva Josie - "You Lied"/"Later For You Baby"

Herman Griffin's Hit/Hit Productions Records:
    Hit 101 - The Moments - "Happiest Man In The Land"/"Don't Take Your Love From Me"
    Hit Productions 3588 - Ruby Yates & Swinging Rocks - "It's Been A Long Time"

VJ 489 - The Pyramids - "What Is Love" [[spring 1962)
    Versatile 111 - Fred Bridges - "Baby Don't You Weep" [[spring 1962)
    Checker 1041 Timiko [[Jones) - "Is It A Sin" [[spring 1962)
    Sahara 5501 - Marva Josie - "I Don't Care" [[summer 1962)
    Prince-Adams 447 - Roosevelt Fountain & Pens of Rhythm [[Rudy Robinson) - "Red Pepper [[ I & II) [[summer 1962)

Lloyd Price and Herbert Logan's Double-L Records spring/summer 1963:
    Double-L 713 - Wilson Pickett - "If You Need Me"/"Baby Call On Me"
    Double-L 716 - Buddy Lamp - "Thank You Love"
    Double-L 717 - Wilson Pickett - "It's Too Late"/I'm Gonna Love You"
    Double-L 718 - Herman Griffin - "Mr. Heartbreak"
    Double-L 724 - Wilson Pickett - "I Can't Stop"