[REMOVE ADS]

Carly Simon Lyric Question

Yes I know that Carly is not "soul" but you guys know everything, so someone will have an answer or at least some opinions. My question is about the song "You Belong to Me."

Throughout that song, she is begging her lover to tell his other woman about her so that they can be together. Constantly during the song she wails "Tell Her, Tell Her."

Finally, toward the end of the song, there is an exact lyric that goes "Don't Leave Me To Go to Her." So here is my question, trivial though it may seem. Does she mean [[most likely) "don't leave me and go be with her instead" or could she possibly mean "don't leave it up to me to go and tell this other woman about us?"

What do you guys think?

She meant for the guy to not leave her and go to his other woman.

David, check out our thread on Carly Simon from last year here:

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...ht=carly+simon

Thanks for the link. I guess I missed all of that. One of my favorite songs by her was a lesser hit "Vengeance."

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Yes I know that Carly is not "soul" but you guys know everything, so someone will have an answer or at least some opinions. My question is about the song "You Belong to Me."

Throughout that song, she is begging her lover to tell his other woman about her so that they can be together. Constantly during the song she wails "Tell Her, Tell Her."

Finally, toward the end of the song, there is an exact lyric that goes "Don't Leave Me To Go to Her." So here is my question, trivial though it may seem. Does she mean [[most likely) "don't leave me and go be with her instead" or could she possibly mean "don't leave it up to me to go and tell this other woman about us?"

What do you guys think?
    I think she means what most people think: don't leave her for the other woman.