[REMOVE ADS]

Sing A Long Culminates Diana Ross Movie Marathon

The Castro Theater periodically runs a double bill sing-a-long, "The Wiz" w/"Xanadu". Hopefully, they use the Blu-Ray version that is noticeably brighter in color and tone.

It runs about twice a year so I guess its successful.

Amazing after all these years that things like this still happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Amazing after all these years that things like this still happen.
    Though she only made 3 feature films, they all have endured and left a mark on our culture.

Particularly The Wiz!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Particularly The Wiz!
    j

i own the 3 different versions released on DVD. I am not always able to distinguish any marked improvements on titles that were released before Blu-ray.
    "The Wiz" on Blu-ray from a couple of years ago seems vastly improved. It is brighter and somehow much more uplifting. Even though I like "Is this What Feeling Gets?", I understand why it was cut. Yet another ballad, as she's sitting on the bed with the other co-stars, would have weighed down an already challenging viewing experience especially theatrical. A home DVD is more in our control to skip or repeat something.

In the "Wizard of Oz", when Dorothy and the gang arrive at Oz, Dorothy is further dolled up....though she wears the same dress. How could Diana not be filmed in a dream sequence during the Twin Towers fashion show? Or better still, my dearest Diana, accepting the role of Glinda, the Good would have been a great "Supporting Actress" role possibly eligible for an acting nod.
    That would have been a perfect bridge role before "The Josephine Baker Story". Alas, her Werner Earhard training wrongly convinced her that the role could be played as a young lady seriously confused about adulthood. Sigh. It is my singular vision that unfortunately never came to be.

We will probably never see it. But the original 3-4 hour version of "Lady Sings the Blues" would be of interest to me. There are a few pix of Billie & Louis leaving a courtroom. "My Man" assuredly was filmed in its entirety, but, in the theatrical version we only get a couple of minutes.