[REMOVE ADS]

Skip and Flip - death of Gary S. Paxton [[Monster Mash)

An excellent article from today's Washington Post regarding Gary S. Paxton.
    Worth your reading if you recall It Was I, Alley-Oop, and Monster Mash.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...c39_story.html

Oh how we loved the record "Monster Mash" as kids. Rest in peace Gary and thanks man!

Marv

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Oh how we loved the record "Monsterh Mash" as kids. Rest in peace Gary and thanks man!

Marv
    Same here, Marv! "Monster Mash" had a girl-group vibe with a melody reminiscent of The Marvelettes' "Please Mr. Postman" and Dee Dee Sharp's "Mashed Potato Time". Combined with the Halloween theme and constant radio airplay, it shot to #1 effortlessly! I remember I bought my "Monster Mash" 45 on the same day that I bought The Crystals' "He's A Rebel" 45 back in October 1962 when I was 11. What great memories!

Sorry to hear that Gary Paxton has passed away. R.I.P, Gary.

honest man Guest
    HA i Bought it at our Old market with my lovely missed mum 1972-73 it was top 10 in UK then,lovely memories,thanks for them Gary.

Never really cared for Monster Mash [[to me it became tedious after a few plays[[

But I loved Skip and Flip and as a kid, I bought both their hit 45's and played them constantly. Just listened to them and they still sound good.

Of course, when I was a kid, I was not exposed to any soul music and did not even know that Cherry Pie was a remake of Marvin and Johnny''s hit. After I grew up and was in the real world, I discovered that there were different and often better versions of songs that I loved. For the most part, I considered the white cover and the original versions as different songs and enjoyed them both. But I could never listen to a Pat Boone cover version again after hearing the original versions. His covers were just so bad.

Here us the original version of Cherry Pie

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Same here, Marv! "Monster Mash" had a girl-group vibe with a melody reminiscent of The Marvelettes' "Please Mr. Postman" and Dee Dee Sharp's "Mashed Potato Time". Combined with the Halloween theme and constant radio airplay, it shot to #1 effortlessly! I remember I bought my "Monster Mash" 45 on the same day that I bought The Crystals' "He's A Rebel" 45 back in October 1962 when I was 11. What great memories!

Sorry to hear that Gary Paxton has passed away. R.I.P, Gary.
    I remember it was re-released here in America in 1973-74 and it became a hit all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I remember it was re-released here in America in 1973-74 and it became a hit all over again.
    Yeah, Marv, and, as far as I know, Bobby "Boris" Pickett's "Monster Mash" is still available on most [[if not all) of the Various-Artists Halloween-themed CD's. Cool, Ghoul!