[REMOVE ADS]

MOMENTS OF MOTOWN Album PR-122 released 1983 - 30 Questions

I have an unusual PR album in my collection that I purchased many years ago for a mere $5. It is entitled MOMENTS OF MOTOWN - A Historical Moments of Motown History. Issued in 1983 in conjunction with M25.

On the back of the album cover it has a total of 30 Motown Questions with the answers below upside down. I will type the 30 questions to see how many other fans can answer.

01. What Motown supergroup that now has eleven gold and platinum albums, used to be the opening act on Jackson 5 Tours?

02. What three major television stars of the 60's also recorded for Motown?

03. Name two artists, once distributed by Motown, that went on to become major country/pop stars.

04. Who was the first artist produced by Smokey Robinson?

05. What was Stevie Wonder's first #1 album on the Billboard charts?

06. What Motown artist was nomined for an Academy Award?

07. Which Motown artist has played with Little Richard, Ray Charles, and the Beatles?

08. What Motown superstar is also a vice president of Motown?

09. What is the original name of the Supremes?

10. Eddie Kendricks began his career as a member of which legendary Motown group?

11. When David Ruffin left the Temptations, who replaced him?

12. Before Motown founder Berry Gordy decided to become a songwriter, what was his career?

13. What was Motown's first #1 record?

14. What was the first million-selling single on Tamla/Motown Records?

15. What was the Temptations first gold million-selling single?

16. In the 60's the Beatles named their "favorite girl singer" who was also invited to tour with the Beatles. Who was she?

17. Marvin Gaye has recorded duets with four Motown ladies--can you name them? FACTUALLY INCORRECT. THERE WERE FIVE MOTOWN LADIES.

18. The Contours, who hit with Do You Love Me in 1961, were signed to Motown because one band member had a famous cousin. Who was that cousin?

19. What did Marvin Gaye first do for Motown when he was signed to the Motown family?

20. Starting with Where Did Our Love Go, the Supremes began a string of five consecutive #1 hits. What were the next four?

21. In August 1966, the Supremes had their second string of consecutive #1 hits, this time a four record series. What were the records?

22. What was Motown's first platinum two-million selling single?

23. What were Martha Reeves' first duties at Motown Records?

24. What current Motown superstar was first hired as a staff songwriter and wrote songs for the Spinners, Marvelettes, and Bobby Taylor?

25. What was the first album by an American artists to debut at #1 on the Billboard charts?

26. When Florence Ballard left the Supremes, who was her replacement and from what group?

27. The most successful songwriting team in history, who wrote more #1 hits than any other songwriters, wrote Where Did Our Love Go, You Keep Me Hanging On, Heatwave, Mickey's Monkey, and many others. What was this team?

28. In Detroit, the Primettes were the sister group to the Primes. The Primettes changed their name to the Supremes, what group did the Primes become?

29. In 1968, Dennis Edwards replaced David Ruffin in the Temptations. What was the first Temptations single with Dennis?

30. As a sax player, he was a member of the first successful male group in Motown history. He went on to record his first solo album which won him a Grammy Award, became the #1 album in the United States, and went double-platinum. Who is he?

Quite the list; not an easy task for the "average" fan!

So, off the top of my head [[including some guesses) I'll take the first punt.....

01. What Motown supergroup that now has eleven gold and platinum albums, used to be the opening act on Jackson 5 Tours?
    A Commodores

A Paul Petersen, Barbara McNair, Diahann Carroll

03. Name two artists, once distributed by Motown, that went on to become major country/pop stars.
    [B]A Meatloaf, Michael Jackson/B]

A Mary Wells

A Fulfillingness First Finale

A Diana Ross

07. Which Motown artist has played with Little Richard, Ray Charles, and the Beatles?
    A Billy Preston

A Smokey Robinson

A Primettes

10. Eddie Kendricks began his career as a member of which legendary Motown group?
    A Temptations

A Dennis Edwards

12. Before Motown founder Berry Gordy decided to become a songwriter, what was his career?
    A Boxer [[or record shop owner)

A Please Mr Postman

A My Guy [[?)

A My Girl

16. In the 60's the Beatles named their "favorite girl singer" who was also invited to tour with the Beatles. Who was she?
    A Mary Wells

17. Marvin Gaye has recorded duets with four Motown ladies--can you name them? FACTUALLY INCORRECT. THERE WERE FIVE MOTOWN LADIES.
    A Mary Wells, Kim Weston, Tammi Terrell, Diana Ross [[and Oma Heard or Page I can't remember)

18. The Contours, who hit with Do You Love Me in 1961, were signed to Motown because one band member had a famous cousin. Who was that cousin?
    A Smokey Robinson [[?)

19. What did Marvin Gaye first do for Motown when he was signed to the Motown family?
    A Drummer

20. Starting with Where Did Our Love Go, the Supremes began a string of five consecutive #1 hits. What were the next four?
    A Baby Love, Come See About Me, Stop! In The Name Of Love, Back in My Arms Again

21. In August 1966, the Supremes had their second string of consecutive #1 hits, this time a four record series. What were the records?
    A I Hear A Symphony, You Can't Hurry Love, You Keep Me Hangin On, Love IS Here & Now You're Gone.

A Reach Out, I'll Be There

A secretary

24. What current Motown superstar was first hired as a staff songwriter and wrote songs for the Spinners, Marvelettes, and Bobby Taylor?
    A Rick James

25. What was the first album by an American artists to debut at #1 on the Billboard charts?
    A Songs In The Key Of Life

26. When Florence Ballard left the Supremes, who was her replacement and from what group?
    A Cindy Birdsong, Patti Labelle & The Bluebelles

27. The most successful songwriting team in history, who wrote more #1 hits than any other songwriters, wrote Where Did Our Love Go, You Keep Me Hanging On, Heatwave, Mickey's Monkey, and many others. What was this team?
    A Holland Dozier Holland

28. In Detroit, the Primettes were the sister group to the Primes. The Primettes changed their name to the Supremes, what group did the Primes become?
    A Temptations

29. In 1968, Dennis Edwards replaced David Ruffin in the Temptations. What was the first Temptations single with Dennis?
    A Cloud 9

30. As a sax player, he was a member of the first successful male group in Motown history. He went on to record his first solo album which won him a Grammy Award, became the #1 album in the United States, and went double-platinum. Who is he?[/QUOTE]
    A Lionel Richie [[is the question right?)

2) Irene Ryan and Soupy Sales could qualify as well
    18) Jackie Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    So, off the top of my head [[including some guesses) I'll take the first punt.....

A Commodores

A Paul Petersen, Barbara McNair, Diahann Carroll

[B]A Meatloaf, Michael Jackson/B]

A Mary Wells

A Fulfillingness First Finale

A Diana Ross

A Billy Preston

A Smokey Robinson

A Primettes

A Temptations

A Dennis Edwards

A Boxer [[or record shop owner)

A Please Mr Postman

A My Guy [[?)

A My Girl

A Mary Wells

A Mary Wells, Kim Weston, Tammi Terrell, Diana Ross [[and Oma Heard or Page I can't remember)

A Smokey Robinson [[?)

A Drummer

A Baby Love, Come See About Me, Stop! In The Name Of Love, Back in My Arms Again

A I Hear A Symphony, You Can't Hurry Love, You Keep Me Hangin On, Love IS Here & Now You're Gone.

A Reach Out, I'll Be There

A secretary

A Rick James

A Songs In The Key Of Life

A Cindy Birdsong, Patti Labelle & The Bluebelles

A Holland Dozier Holland

A Temptations

A Cloud 9

30. As a sax player, he was a member of the first successful male group in Motown history. He went on to record his first solo album which won him a Grammy Award, became the #1 album in the United States, and went double-platinum. Who is he?
    A Lionel Richie [[is the question right?)[/QUOTE]

You did a great job in my opinion. You had 21 that were 100% correct from the 30 or a grade of 70%. Remember this is what the "Motown Experts" gave as their answers.

Do you want to rethink the following:

02. They indicate Paul Peterson [[which you named) but they also named Soupy Sales and Irene Ryan. I can't say you are incorrect though.

03 - 05 - 14 - 18 - 19 - 21 [[Not IHAS) - 22 - 25

You are on the right track. See what you can do with these 9 I outlined above.

3. TG Sheppard and Meatloaf

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    A Lionel Richie [[is the question right?)

You did a great job in my opinion. You had 21 that were 100% correct from the 30 or a grade of 70%. Remember this is what the "Motown Experts" gave as their answers.

Do you want to rethink the following:

02. They indicate Paul Peterson [[which you named) but they also named Soupy Sales and Irene Ryan. I can't say you are incorrect though.

03 - 05 - 14 - 18 - 19 - 21 [[Not IHAS) - 22 - 25

You are on the right track. See what you can do with these 9 I outlined above.[/QUOTE]

Thanks - actually I think I prefer my answer to number 2 lol. There's no doubt that Irene Ryan was a TV star but I don't know enough about Soupy Sales to say any more [[being from the UK I don't think we "had" him lol).

I'll let others have a shot at the answers to 03 - 05 - 14 - 18 - 19 - 21 [[Not IHAS) - 22 - 25 - if I have to look anything up that's cheating innit. I could make guess after guess but more knowledgeable sorts will know them off hand.

I seem to remember at least some of these questions appearing on the inner sleeves of the 80's reissue albums.
    Last edited by lockhartgary; 07-26-2016 at 06:28 PM.

05: Recorded Live 12 year old Genius

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    2) Irene Ryan and Soupy Sales could qualify as well
    18) Jackie Wilson
    These two you mentioned were the other two that the album said were the answers that they wanted. Good for you.

TG Sheppard is the one the album said was correct. Meatloaf not mentioned.

Bingo. You are correct.