[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I like Bill but I think an edited/shortened version of Loving Country should have been the follow up. Then Stone Love, then Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music, then Time To Break Down. Perhaps Shine On Me could have been an A side too.

Then onto Nathan Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    I like Bill but I think an edited/shortened version of Loving Country should have been the follow up. Then Stone Love, then Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music, then Time To Break Down. Perhaps Shine On Me could have been an A side too.

Then onto Nathan Jones.
    I have always said that Loving Country was a missed opportunity. Motown UK considered it as the follow up to Ladder but eventually went with EGTRTL, and why Stoned Love was the only single from NWBLS is another mystery. It;s time to break down was crying out to be a single.

Why Motown went with EGTRTL is a mystery to me especially over TLC. And to me TWCMSSM had hit written all over as did ITTBD!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Why Motown went with EGTRTL is a mystery to me especially over TLC. And to me TWCMSSM had hit written all over as did ITTBD!
    "It's Time to Breakdown" was the hit after "Stoned Love". Missed opportunity on Motown's part.

Great production on the song.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Sadly Mary and Jean did not get along right from the start but initially personal feelings were put aside due to the success the girls had with the first few releases but as the internal stride intensified the powers that be did not give the group the priority status they had previously enjoyed. I am not going into who was at fault here but you can draw your own conclusions
    is that really so though?? - Mary seems to have stopped Berry Gordy from getting rid of her, and re-reading vol 2 of her book she comes up with some very complementary pen-portraits;
    'at five feet six she was taller than both Cindy and I. In her conservative outfit, medium length afro and minimal make up, Jean was anything but a kittenish glamour girl. Instead she projected strength and confidence. Although not beautiful in the classic senses he had undeniable presence. Everything about her, the way she spoke and carried herself seemed to say; 'I am proud to be a black woman'.'
    and..
    'Like Flo, Jean was incapable of pretending to believe in something she didn't. She felt very strongly that entertainers should address political and social issues.'

Quote Originally Posted by waynesville View Post
    is that really so though?? - Mary seems to have stopped Berry Gordy from getting rid of her, and re-reading vol 2 of her book she comes up with some very complementary pen-portraits;
    'at five feet six she was taller than both Cindy and I. In her conservative outfit, medium length afro and minimal make up, Jean was anything but a kittenish glamour girl. Instead she projected strength and confidence. Although not beautiful in the classic senses he had undeniable presence. Everything about her, the way she spoke and carried herself seemed to say; 'I am proud to be a black woman'.'
    and..
    'Like Flo, Jean was incapable of pretending to believe in something she didn't. She felt very strongly that entertainers should address political and social issues.'
    You can admire someone without actually liking them. Mary told me that Jean "could control her voice like a violin". She fully admired her musical gift. I have worked with people whom i greatly admire for their talent, but on a personal level i have found many such people to be anything but my cup of tea for varying reasons. I think we can leave it at that to avoid another meltdown on this forum.

I would have to choose the following album tracks [[no preferential order, one from each album):

The Loving Country
    Baby You've Got What It Takes [[with the Four Tops)
    Thank Him For Today
    I'll Try Not To Try [[with the Four Tops)
    Here Comes The Sunrise
    The Wisdom of Time
    When Can Brown Begin
    Colour My World Blue
    Only You Can Love Me [[tied with You Keep Me Moving On)
    Love, I Never Knew You Could Feel So Good

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    You can admire someone without actually liking them. Mary told me that Jean "could control her voice like a violin". She fully admired her musical gift. I have worked with people whom i greatly admire for their talent, but on a personal level i have found many such people to be anything but my cup of tea for varying reasons. I think we can leave it at that to avoid another meltdown on this forum.
    yeah - I guess that's a fair observation and distinction...and great respect to Mary then for saying what she did about Jean when she personally didn't like her
    Last edited by waynesville; 08-17-2016 at 08:58 AM.

yeah - I guess that's a fair observation and distinction...and great respect to Mary then for saying what she did about Jean when she personally didn't like her
    Absolutely waynesville. She didnt have to say that . She also said that Diana was "virtually unsurpassable " on stage. She didn't have to say that either

I will add that , MW has certainly grown as a singer and performer and also has great stage presence, I have seen her live many times and she is very warm and engaging. for being back ground singer, she has certainly proven herself

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I will add that , MW has certainly grown as a singer and performer and also has great stage presence, I have seen her live many times and she is very warm and engaging. for being back ground singer, she has certainly proven herself
    She is probably better now than she has ever been. I never really rated her as a vocalist. Her voice lacked character and tone, but as she grew in confidence she found her niche , and has done a commendable job since, and for that she deserves respect.

I've wondered if the 'berry trying to kick jean out' story hasn't been embellished some over the years. As it goes in Mary's book, it seems like Berry called up out of the blue after the Farewell concert and said, get rid of her. She alludes to the idea that Berry was having a harder time getting Jean to follow his instructions to the T. I wonder if there were actually some previous discussions about the idea and it came to a culmination after the Farewell show.

Also if Mary was having some conflicts with her from the start, seems odd that she wouldn't have thought "hmmmm great singer but maybe this isn't the right decision"

I've wondered if the 'berry trying to kick jean out' story hasn't been embellished some over the years. As it goes in Mary's book, it seems like Berry called up out of the blue after the Farewell concert and said, get rid of her. She alludes to the idea that Berry was having a harder time getting Jean to follow his instructions to the T. I wonder if there were actually some previous discussions about the idea and it came to a culmination after the Farewell show.

Also if Mary was having some conflicts with her from the start, seems odd that she wouldn't have thought "hmmmm great singer but maybe this isn't the right decision"
    It wasn't Mary's decision to make. Berry still held the purse strings and what he said went. He could be a very ruthless guy could our Berry, and despite his uncertainty over Jean it was he who ultimately allowed her to stay. Syreeta did not want to join the Supremes. She knew she was on a hiding to nothing and wisely decided she prefered being a solo singer/songwriter which allowed her more creative freedom. Don't believe everything you read sup fan. Books are designed to sell and little titbits like that do no harm whatsoever when coming to promote a tawdry kiss and tell autobiography.

I would question Syreeta's decision to not join the Sups. I would hardly classify her as a major artist, based on public awareness and sales. Yes she collaborated with Stevie on things and had a few albums. but I would gather that the Sups 70's stuff still outsold Syreeta's. even with the decreasing Motown promotion

but I agree with you about not believing everything in a tell-all. that's why I wonder if there isn't more going on there. What I was saying was that, in Mary's book, it appears and though Berry's phone call was the first she'd ever heard of it and practically came out of the blue. seems far fetched to me. Also what I was thinking was that if supposedly Berry was having issues with Jean and Mary was having some conflicts with her, then why didn't mary see the writing on the wall. if this was all building up prior to the Farewell, maybe she should have worked with Berry and tried to find another girl

just thinking aloud

and to be honest, I think the 70s Sup's fate was sealed regardless of the singers. they would never have been allowed to surpass the 60s Sups or Diana solo. their internal strife only exacerbating things.

now here's an interesting idea - what if Diana's career had faltered?

"Now the Bitter, Now the Sweet" from 1972 is one of their best including their 60s output.

and..
    What he is saying about Jean Terrell and Mary Wilson is not true all. They got along great even after they were no longer singing partners.

lets face some things, when Motown closed Detroit, moved everything to LA, it ended a lot of talented artists career.
    I don't understand why BG didn't leave both Detroit and La locations open for both. LA for tv specials and movies and Detroit for those who wanted to stay. there was talent there in the 60s so there had to be talent there in the 70s.
    but ,imo, BG was consumed with making movies and turned his back on many,
    if you look at the Motown history, almost every year one group or artists left Motown to go elsewhere......GK and PIPs, Spinners, Jacksons, Four Tops, Temptations etc all left
    .only the Supremes stayed. even Diana struggled at Motown and seemed not happy with albums such as Everything Is Everything and Last Time I saw Him.
    the Supremes struggled like everyone else. there was no plan to kill the group.but I am sure with problems that did occur such as group members coming and going, perhaps Motown was unsure of keeping things going. but as along as MW was willing to keep it going...

didn't MW write in her book that she and Jean were having trouble. ? seems to me that MW handed her a note and said we need to talk and Jean threw it on the floor. but ....Jean was at the recent Hall Of Fame exhibit

didn't MW write in her book that she and Jean were having trouble. ? seems to me that MW handed her a note and said we need to talk and Jean threw it on the floor. but ....Jean was at the recent Hall Of Fame exhibit
    That was also one or two situations 43 years ago. They have been friends for over 46 years. That guy does not know what he is talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That was also one or two situations 43 years ago. They have been friends for over 46 years. That guy does not know what he is talking about.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............

David - you are entitled to believe whoever you like on this situation. I do not have the slightest desire to enter into conversation with that certain individual on this forum. No-one is perfect. Everyone has their faults including shock, horror - Mary Wilson, though you could be forgiven for thinking otherwise when reading some posts on here. I try to give an unbiased account of certain events, but some people are only willing to hear one side of a story. I have been critical of Diana on certain occasions despite prefering to focus on the positives, but to give a balanced account one has to accept that our heroes are not always 100% perfect. I have better things to do in my wonderful life than engage in petty squabbles with people with whom i have no respect whatsoever. I am not going to dig deeper with the dirt, but believe me i could if i so desired, but in the words of a wonderful lady - it's time to move on.
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 08-20-2016 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Not finished my post

Bluebrock - your insight and stories have been much appreciated. yes we know there are some on here that are very devoted to one girl or another. so be it. i personally love all of the girls and all of the lineups. i appreciate their faults and celebrate their successes. Please don't abandon the forum like some others. it's been great reading your posts

So onto another 70s Sups topic

New Ways But Love Stays

mary said this lp was to be named Stoned Love after the single but when the single was released and all of the controversy erupted, motown chickened out and revised the title and cover art. how could this be? the album and single were both released in Oct 70. if they did change the design, it would have taken considerable time to redo the covers. this was a VERY expensive lp to produce given the gatefold cover and the die cuts on the flap revealing the inner pics. This was no throw-away lp [[like Dynamite). and so i venture that it was never to be named Stoned Love and that's a legend that has come out over the years

Bluebrock - your insight and stories have been much appreciated. yes we know there are some on here that are very devoted to one girl or another. so be it. i personally love all of the girls and all of the lineups. i appreciate their faults and celebrate their successes. Please don't abandon the forum like some others. it's been great reading your posts

New Ways But Love Stays

mary said this lp was to be named Stoned Love after the single but when the single was released and all of the controversy erupted, motown chickened out and revised the title and cover art. how could this be? the album and single were both released in Oct 70. if they did change the design, it would have taken considerable time to redo the covers. this was a VERY expensive lp to produce given the gatefold cover and the die cuts on the flap revealing the inner pics. This was no throw-away lp [[like Dynamite). and so i venture that it was never to be named Stoned Love and that's a legend that has come out over the years
    When people write books or give interviews, I'm sure they look at some past events from their current vantage point. I don't recall Mary [[in her book) going into detail about album covers being redone and such. Perhaps she said that in a different interview. Or maybe when the group recorded STONED LOVE, it might have stuck out to Mary and the girls as a track with hit potential and as such, they thought it would have made a nice title for the album.

But the release dates don't tie into any controversy as the reason for Motown not doing so.
    I think the group released too much product in a short period. THE MAGNIFICENT 7 album was released in September, then the STONED LOVE single and the NEW WAYS... album were both released in October, followed by the RIVER DEEP single in November. The singles did well, but the albums' sales suffered. Perhaps both albums might have done better if a second single was released from each, but they weren't.

Re the title, NEW WAYS BUT LOVE STAYS. I think it is fine. To me, it meant "Yes, the group has some new members. But we're still the Supremes." It is certainly a more descriptive title than RIGHT ON.

New Ways But Love Stays

When i said it is time to move on i didn't mean that i was leaving the forum. I just want to avoid the petty squabbling that has threatened to destroy this forum in the past, but i shall stand my ground for sure, but i would prefer to have this forum as a happy site to visit rather than one where you know there will be tantrums and tiaras just because someone has the audacity to not 100% agree with another members opinions. We must not allow this forum to be destroyed by any negative presence. I just want to share my opinions and memories with fellow Motown lovers.
    To quote the great Lamont Dozier "i ain't going nowhere". Thank you for support past and present. It is a pleasure and an honour to converse with you.

In Supreme Faith Mary talks about New Ways and how it didn't sell well. especially given the powerful single that was released. She also complained about the cover art and random photos used. Completely agree that history sometimes clouds the specifics. But Mary seems rather specific in her book about this. The many, many albums use a lead or hit single as the title. not always of course. The girls had recently done Cream of the Crop and then Right On. New Ways was a catchy title but i think the lp should have been named Stoned Love

In Supreme Faith Mary talks about New Ways and how it didn't sell well. especially given the powerful single that was released. She also complained about the cover art and random photos used. Completely agree that history sometimes clouds the specifics. But Mary seems rather specific in her book about this. The many, many albums use a lead or hit single as the title. not always of course. The girls had recently done Cream of the Crop and then Right On. New Ways was a catchy title but i think the lp should have been named Stoned Love
    It was a lavishly presented album that had a couple more potential hits on it. I love the title of the album but maybe it should have been called Stoned Love. Who knows.

I liked the title and the album, except the track Come Together ,which I would have left off and replaced. perhaps a different lp cover . I do think that to much product being released and one time and no follow up single hurt the album.

Blue Brock, you are correct. this has been a joyous thread and I enjoy you being here. I am grateful for your insight.

I liked the title and the album, except the track Come Together ,which I would have left off and replaced. perhaps a different lp cover . I do think that to much product being released and one time and no follow up single hurt the album.

Blue Brock, you are correct. this has been a joyous thread and I enjoy you being here. I am grateful for your insight.
    Thank you David. I greatly appreciate your kind words.