[REMOVE ADS]

huntergettingcaptured Guest

Smokey Robinson And The Miracles- "I Can't Stand To See You Cry" memories

I've been playing a lot of Smokey Robinson and The Miracles music this past week and every time I get to this song, "I Can't Stand To See You Cry," I put it on everlasting "Repeat." It's such a beautiful, lush song. Even though I don't recall it, the vibe of it really brings those days back to memory in a strong way. I've always wondered about this song and some of the other '70's records from the Miracles.

I was 5 when this came out and don't remember hearing it on radio. My question is for anyone who remembers when this came out. Did it receive a lot of airplay, especially on black radio stations? Was it a hit or a miss? Do you have any recollections of the Miracles' records being release just before the group did its farewell?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Pbxn_XMhhe8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anything sung by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles was a bit more than a ripple on a pond with the R&B charts at this point in their career. The record received respectable air play in the SF Bay area, but hey didn't go out at the top of the pop charts like the Supremes.

I had more of a preference for We've Come Too Far to End it Now. I was working on a project in the California desert at the time. Wolfman Jack's XPRS pirate radio station beamed the song from off shore every night.

It was towards the end of smokey's brilliant career with the miracles when this gem was released,which might explain why it didn't sell as well,but still one of thier best.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    It was towards the end of smokey's brilliant career with the miracles when this gem was released,which might explain why it didn't sell as well,but still one of thier best.
    To refresh my memory on this song, I broke out my 35th Anniversary Collection to listen to it. I then do as I periodically do when looking at CDs that I haven't played for some time; reread the booklet accompanying the collection.

Something interesting that I had forgotten. Claudette was the co-producer of the 35th Anniversary Collection and in her comments, she states "I am now a volunteer teacher, singing in the church choir and WRITING MY BIOGRAPHY."

Has anyone heard anything further on this biography she was writing. Hopefully it is still in the works. This would be colossal.

I loved it
    Loved the album
    The end of an era
    However, I felt like noone loved it as much as me.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Hi arr&bee- I'm glad to know you too felt this was one of their best. I think it happens to every artist who has been around for some time- inevitably, no matter how good the music, the public starts looking to newer groups and overlooks some fine classics.

Quote Originally Posted by nabob View Post
    The record received respectable air play in the SF Bay area, but hey didn't go out at the top of the pop charts like the Supremes.

I had more of a preference for We've Come Too Far to End it Now. I was working on a project in the California desert at the time. Wolfman Jack's XPRS pirate radio station beamed the song from off shore every night.
    nabob, great to hear about your memories of these two songs. It just kind of puts the music into a sort of perspective for me. I love both- "We've Come Too Far to End it Now" was another one great tune where the Miracles had moved to the sound of the 70's with great ease. I'm glad to hear both were played on radio fairly well.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    To refresh my memory on this song, I broke out my 35th Anniversary Collection to listen to it. I then do as I periodically do when looking at CDs that I haven't played for some time; reread the booklet accompanying the collection.

Something interesting that I had forgotten. Claudette was the co-producer of the 35th Anniversary Collection and in her comments, she states "I am now a volunteer teacher, singing in the church choir and WRITING MY BIOGRAPHY."

Has anyone heard anything further on this biography she was writing. Hopefully it is still in the works. This would be colossal.
    I remember getting the "35th Anniversary Collection" when it first came in out in early 1994 and I recall Claudette's saying that her Biography was in the works. I haven't heard anything more about that over twenty years later. Maybe she couldn't find a publisher for her book. Too bad since I'm sure it would be a great read.

Quote Originally Posted by huntergettingcaptured View Post
    I've been playing a lot of Smokey Robinson and The Miracles music this past week and every time I get to this song, "I Can't Stand To See You Cry," I put it on everlasting "Repeat." It's such a beautiful, lush song. Even though I don't recall it, the vibe of it really brings those days back to memory in a strong way. I've always wondered about this song and some of the other '70's records from the Miracles.

I was 5 when this came out and don't remember hearing it on radio. My question is for anyone who remembers when this came out. Did it receive a lot of airplay, especially on black radio stations? Was it a hit or a miss? Do you have any recollections of the Miracles' records being release just before the group did its farewell?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Pbxn_XMhhe8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    I only heard Smokey & the Miracles' "I Can't Stand To See You Cry" a few times on the radio [[WBLS in New York City). While it's a good song, I think that "We've Come To Far To End It Now" was better. It's too bad that Smokey Robinson & the Miracles didn't go out with a huge smash [[like DRATS did with "Someday We'll Be Together") for their last record together.