[REMOVE ADS]

Multiple Dionne Warwick Projects on the Way!

If you are a rabid Dionne fan like me, you could probably fill an entire room in your house with her recordings, but apparently, we all may soon need to add another wing!!! I received a Google alert today about one release and the more I checked into it, the more I found out about others that are on the way between now and September. Here are the highlights and I will leave it to you smarter-than-I-am types to provide the links if you can find them:

1) The Essential Dionne Warwick: This may already be out since the date I saw was July 15th. However, it may be download only. It is not to be confused with an "Essential" collection that was released in 2011. This one is a 2 CD set with 31 tracks and it is part of that series that many other artists have received. [[Too many to mention and the cover art will be quite familiar to you.) It appears to be mainly Arista material.

2) Original Album Classics: She has already been honored in the past with a set of five Scepter albums in this budget-priced digipak series that has been around for years. But this package, due out September 2nd, will contain the first five Arista albums, not including Hot, Live and Otherwise. Although you won't get any new liner notes or photos, I would think this package would be ideal for someone who has not yet purchased any of her CD re-issues or someone who just wants to have the occasional Dionne fix by having FIVE CDs at your fingertips in the same amount of space that one CD normally occupies. According to the track listings, the NNSL included in this package will be an expanded version, but it appears that the others are all the original albums.

3) The Warner Brothers Years: Not sure of the date on this and I believe it is a Reel Gone Music release. Anyway, it is going to be a re-packaging of the two WB re-issues from a couple of years ago, combining both albums into one package. So if you didn't buy "The Complete Warner Brothers Singles" or "We Need to Go Back", the collection of never before released songs from that era, here is your chance to get them all at once.

4) Dionne Warwick The Album: Last week I posted a thread about a 2 CD collection by my other fave Dame Shirley with the same title and we have been having a lively discussion about that project and about her. So imagine my surprise when I discovered that there is also a Dionne collection as part of the same series. The track listing seems to be mainly 60s material and it does not particularly appeal to me [[The Shirley collection sounds better) but some of you might feel differently.

So there you have it. Hopefully there will be something in there for some of you that will make the adrenaline rise and the wallet shrink! Please all you great "linkers" out there, be kind enough to do so, but if no one does, I will get my smart assistant to help me with it later. Happy shopping!

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    If you are a rabid Dionne fan like me, you could probably fill an entire room in your house with her recordings, but apparently, we all may soon need to add another wing!!! I received a Google alert today about one release and the more I checked into it, the more I found out about others that are on the way between now and September. Here are the highlights and I will leave it to you smarter-than-I-am types to provide the links if you can find them:

1) The Essential Dionne Warwick: This may already be out since the date I saw was July 15th. However, it may be download only. It is not to be confused with an "Essential" collection that was released in 2011. This one is a 2 CD set with 31 tracks and it is part of that series that many other artists have received. [[Too many to mention and the cover art will be quite familiar to you.) It appears to be mainly Arista material.

2) Original Album Classics: She has already been honored in the past with a set of five Scepter albums in this budget-priced digipak series that has been around for years. But this package, due out September 2nd, will contain the first five Arista albums, not including Hot, Live and Otherwise. Although you won't get any new liner notes or photos, I would think this package would be ideal for someone who has not yet purchased any of her CD re-issues or someone who just wants to have the occasional Dionne fix by having FIVE CDs at your fingertips in the same amount of space that one CD normally occupies. According to the track listings, the NNSL included in this package will be an expanded version, but it appears that the others are all the original albums.

3) The Warner Brothers Years: Not sure of the date on this and I believe it is a Reel Gone Music release. Anyway, it is going to be a re-packaging of the two WB re-issues from a couple of years ago, combining both albums into one package. So if you didn't buy "The Complete Warner Brothers Singles" or "We Need to Go Back", the collection of never before released songs from that era, here is your chance to get them all at once.

4) Dionne Warwick The Album: Last week I posted a thread about a 2 CD collection by my other fave Dame Shirley with the same title and we have been having a lively discussion about that project and about her. So imagine my surprise when I discovered that there is also a Dionne collection as part of the same series. The track listing seems to be mainly 60s material and it does not particularly appeal to me [[The Shirley collection sounds better) but some of you might feel differently.

So there you have it. Hopefully there will be something in there for some of you that will make the adrenaline rise and the wallet shrink! Please all you great "linkers" out there, be kind enough to do so, but if no one does, I will get my smart assistant to help me with it later. Happy shopping!
    Thank you for the heads up David. I think i have got all the material there but the Warners double cd is great for anyone who didn't pick up the original single cd's. I just wish we could get the handful of Warners tracks that still remain in the vault and of course we need the promised Arista expanded "Heartbreaker" "friends in love" and "friends" that we were promised back in 2014.

I'm surprised all of these Dionne cds are still coming out. In her book, she mentioned that at one point, she went to Rhino/ Warners and asked them to hold back a little because too many were being released. I guess things have changed.

For me, I now have many of these several times over. There's no incentive for me to buy. I wish Rhino Handmade had completed their Dionne project. They were supposed to be doing a collection of live recordings from her Scepter years. A lot of these ended up on her THE DIONNE WARWICKE STORY album, but none were complete performances.

Thanks for the updates, David!

Too bad I hadn't known about the upcoming Arista Original Album Classics set last month...as I had already pre-ordered the "Friends In Love" CD reissue coming out in Japan at the end of the month. It is the only one I am still missing on CD. Maybe I will get this set eventually anyway. Can't help but love the convenient mini sleeves. Lol.

I too will probably buy that package although I already have everything on CD and one way or another, I probably have 10 or more copies of some of the songs!!! But as you said, those packages are so convenient and such a great bargain. I think I have at least half a dozen in the series...Dionne's first, Margie Joseph, Shirley Bassey, Sister Sledge, Sheena Easton immediately come to mind.

Here is a link to the message I had received about "The Essential Dionne Warwick." You can see what I mean about the familiarity of the cover concept. I also saw a similar collection for Melba Moore recently that had a REALLY good track listing. But it appears that these are downloads only.

https://www.beatport.com/release/the...-years/1807350

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I too will probably buy that package although I already have everything on CD and one way or another, I probably have 10 or more copies of some of the songs!!! But as you said, those packages are so convenient and such a great bargain. I think I have at least half a dozen in the series...Dionne's first, Margie Joseph, Shirley Bassey, Sister Sledge, Sheena Easton immediately come to mind.
    I still need to get the Shirley set. They also have a 5 album collection in the UK for Dusty Springfield, but it doesn't seem to be part of the same series. Will be getting that one eventually, as well as the recent "Original Album Classics" that they released for Rufus. I agree with you...they're great sets. I also have the early Dionne albums release, Anita Baker, Chaka Khan, possibly a couple of others.

This also looks like a great collection of Dionne's Arista years recordings...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Real-Dionne...dionne+warwick

At this point, all I care about is getting the mono albums domestically at an affordable price.

Right you are Carlo. I flipped when I saw that collection and could not wait to get it, even though I had every song on it. There is just something about having CDs with different combinations of songs and I think the producers of these products figure that out and know that we will buy them.

Think for example of the incredible number of Phyllis Hyman collections that have come out since her passing and I gobbled up every one!