[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I noiticed in reply #18 there is a ad mentioning a Jackie Kennedy along with song title "Miss personality". Who is this Jackie Kennedy?

Don't know who the Jackie Kennedy was on that show [[back in 1963) ......
    ... obviously not the famous one as this one was [[or sang) "MISS Personality".
    BTW, if we had been around DC back in 1961 & hadn't fancied a live show ....
    ..... we could always have gone to see one of the popular movies ..........
    Attachment 327

Down in Baltimore in 61, it was time to catch a Motortown Revue ........
    Attachment 328

This tour had Henry Lumpkin amongst its number.
    Henry was promoting his upcoming Motown 45 [[his 2nd Motown single)
    HENRY LUMPKIN – “WHAT IS A MAN” …… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tXQrV0BMFc

http://motownjunkies.wordpress.com/c...henry-lumpkin/

.... he would record for 6 years in all [[only 2 of these being with Motown) .......

As the MotorTown Revue were playing the Baltimore Royal, James Brown was across town ....
    Attachment 340

Just a couple of weeks earlier, JB had been playing the Royal itself.
    He was headlining a bigger bill that included Tri-Phi's the Spinners ........
    Attachment 341
    I wonder what 45 you got if you were one of the first 50 to buy a ticket for these shows ?
    Seems strange that they needed to have a 'giveaway' to help sell tickets.

Attachment 342
    I don't know what had happened over the 3 day period since the above ad was placed ....
    but Sugar Pie DeSanto was now gone & Lee Dorsey was on the bill ........

Just 2 weeks later, when the package hit DC, Sugar Pie was back with them ...
    [[though by now she had become 2 people according to the ad writer !!)
    Attachment 343

Carolyn Crawford made it onto this package tour [[to promote her 1st Motown 45) ...
    Attachment 345

Only one Motown group on this bill ......
    ... BUT 3 'future' Motown people also on there
    Attachment 356

The charlie hampton band was the house band of the howard for many years and backed everybody[motown included]now of course there were musicians who belonged with the tour who sat in but unless you were james brown then the charlie hampton band was behind you!

From the ads, on many occasions Motown artists fetched their own band [[Popcorn or Choker's guys) plus Otis Redding also had his own band with him at times.
    Guess Chas Hampton & his boys got the week off then.

... another big touring revue show at the Baltimore Civic Centre [[in 1963) ....
    ....... this one featured Marvin + Martha & Vandellas ...........
    Attachment 372
    Would the Poets have been the "You Blew A Good Thing" outfit
    OR a different group associated with the James Brown entourage
    [[maybe even the guys that became Main Ingredient) ??

Who would have thought we'd be interested in these some 40 years later!

That's why this is the best music forum on the internet,no place else will there even be a discussion or the knowledge of this classic music that we have here...there is always something to learn at soulful detroit...i luuuuuuuv this place!!!

John,
    .... we're still interested in old ads coz they tell us info we wouldn't otherwise know.
    From this ad here I get to know that .........
    Attachment 384
    Jackie Wilson was still 'top of the tree' in summer 64 [[though why he was 'Boss Line' I know not)
    Even though Sam & Dave had just signed with Atlantic & were about to be assigned to work at Stax [[their 1st big national hit release would come just over a year later), they were 'bottom of the bill' here.
    B B King toured with his 'studio' backing band and they played behind the other acts on this show.
    The Pips were already fabulous & George was already Gorgeous !!
    ... and the Velvelettes were almost certainly back in Michigan preparing to go back to their lessons.

Here's another ad that following detective work led to confirmation that pleased me .........
    Attachment 385
    The Re-Echoes were a Baltimore group that featured guest lead singers.
    For the above 1964 show, Brenda Jones was filling that spot .....
    She had recorded for a local label the year before
    [[maybe even with the Re-Echoes backing her up .... she had also been their featured vocalist in 1963).
    RU-JAC #08: BRENDA JONES -- Let's Go Back To School / Can't You See [[1963).

I came across another club ad from 1964 for a Re-Echoes show for which they had a different lead singer ......
    Attachment 386
    I had a strong idea who Kenny was ..... so I asked Kenny Hamber if the lead singer on this show was indeed him & he confirmed that it was.

Forwarded along a copy of that Royal Theatre show ad [[btm ad for Royal posted above) to Valerie Simpson.
    She wrote: "Just to see this is amazing....No we don't remember much except there was a finale where we all were suppose to go on stage under flickering lights and Nick refused..."

I always thought that the guys in the Knight Brothers worked live as the Knight Brothers for the majority of the time .....
    and that when they expanded to become the Carltons they were mainly a 'studio bound' group ......
    .......... but this ad and the one posted as entry # 30 / 46 lay that theory to rest .........
    Attachment 388

Seeing these classic posters are amazing.i remember seeing so many future greats at the start of thier careers opening for the big acts...the chi-lites...the soul children...the moments...the five stairsteps[without cubie]so much fun and just to think we thought that-$2.00 was pretty steep,hehehehehe!!

The Marvelettes must have been on the road for most of 1963 & 1964 judging by many of these ads.
    Chuck Jackson & Baby Washington were on loads of the shows as well
    ..... but they were quite local, the Motown outfit weren't.
    Attachment 389

It is amazing to me, as I think back over the years, that we got the chance to see some of the greatest acts in history, for only $1.00 or $1.50. Little did we know that we were witnessing musical history. Thanks for the post. This brings back such sweet, sweet memories.

.... its hard to tell who was top & btm of the bill here .....
    .... but it was a great show line-up [[no Motowners though)
    .... & the prices had gone up a bit by the end of 1968.
    Attachment 398

Mary Wells seemed to be on the road a lot from 1961 to 1963 .....
    .... here she was in DC along with fellow Detroiter Nathaniel Mayer ....
    Attachment 404

They had already enjoyed a number of national chart hits, so there was no excuse for the ad writer to get their name wrong ........
    .... The Miracles [[along with the fellow Detroiters; the Falcons) at the Howard in summer 1962 ...
    Attachment 497

At least they got the spellling of the group's name correct when an ad for the show was placed a 2nd time ....
    Attachment 517

The Supremes were playing a show in Baltimore in Jan 63 [[see ad on post #4) ...
    ...... but by the time they hit DC just over a week after their 'residency' at the Royal ended ....
    .... they were supporting Jackie Wilson on a different revue package altogether.
    Attachment 519
    I wonder when the 1st package started & this one ended [[as they would have been away from Deroit for that whole period) ?
    Last edited by jsmith; 08-25-2010 at 12:42 PM.

And ahead of those 2 revue packages, the Supremes had been on tour as part of a Motor Town Revue from October 1962 till Xmas [[along with the Contours, Marvelettes, Mary Wells, Marv Johnson, Sammy Ward, Miracles, Vandellas & Choker Campbell + his band) -- see post #25 /26.
    So in all, they must have been away from Detroit [[touring) from mid October 62 into February 63.
    .................. guess they didn't get much recording work done over that period.
    Last edited by jsmith; 08-25-2010 at 12:52 PM.

These are GREAT! Thanks so much for posting these.

This qualifies.......because it was! LOL! The Motortown Revue at the Toledo Sports Arena!:

The MotorTown Revue show was on the road a lot back in 1962 & 1963 ......
    ........... 1962 ......
    Oct 26 1962: The First Motor Town Revue took to the road for six weeks. The Revue was headlined by Mary Wells & featured Martha and the Vandellas, the Marvelettes, the Contours, Marvin Gaye, Little Stevie Wonder, the Supremes the Temptations and Sammy Ward.
    The opening stop was at the Howard Theater in Washington, DC [[see post #26).
    Nov 2 1962: The Motor Town Revue began five weeks of one nighters.
    Nov 18 1962: The Motor Town Revue appeared at the Capitol Arena in Washington, DC.
    Dec 1 1962: The Motor Town Revue played the Ellis Auditorium in Memphis.
    Dec 7 1962: The first Motor Town Revue started ten days at the Apollo Theater, NY.
    Dec 17 1962: The Motor Town Revue made the final stop of its tour in Pittsburgh.
    Dec 31 1962 [[New Year's Eve): Marvin Gaye, Martha and the Vandellas, the Contours, Mary Wells, the Miracles, the Supremes and Little Stevie Wonder appeared at the Michigan State Fair.

........... 1963 ......
    Attachment 545
    May 3rd - 9th ... Howard Theatre, DC
    May 10th - 16th ... Royal Theatre, Baltimore
    June 4th [[week engagement?) ... Apollo Theatre, NY
    June 16th ... ... Carr's Beach, Annapolis
    October 4th - 10th ... Royal Theatre, Baltimore
    October 11th - 17th ... Howard Theatre, DC
    November 5th ... ... Toledo Sports Arena

Anyone fill in the gaps with their other dates [[Apollo, Fox, Regal, etc) ?
    Last edited by jsmith; 08-26-2010 at 06:36 PM.

They could have walked or at least "hitch hiked" down to Toledo, hehehehehehe......

Talking about "Hitch Hiking" .........
    Marvin Gaye was doing it on this DC show in early 63 ......
    Attachment 631

Marv,
    .... you don't have copies of any 60's ads / posters for other Toledo area shows that featured Motown acts do you ??

MORE related bits on the MotorTown Revue shows ......
    .... OFF THE NET ....... "My name is Charles J. Dorkins. I am a film maker, operating as C.J. Dorkins Productions, headquartered in New York City. I had earned some fame as a skilled film technician. I was good. I had been invited to be the first black member of the Screen [[Film) Directors Guild, headquartered in Hollywood. I declined. I was working professionally in all phases of movie production.
    On June 1, 1963, I signed a deal to film the Motown Apollo show, playing at the Apollo. On June 4, 1963, I filmed the Motown show on the stage of the Apollo. For many years I had been seeking to film the fabulous live shows which appeared. My goal was to repeat the Apollo shows at theaters throughout the U.S. I had a letter of permission [[from Bobby Schiffman, manager of the Apollo - January 13, 1953) to film the shows. I could not find the funding. If I could have filmed even one of those spectacular shows, I would be wealthy today. Then, the touring Motown show appeared at the Apollo, for a week's engagement. Motown probably discovered me through Bobby Schiffman. With a hurried contract and a small cash contribution, I swung into action. I had days [[less than a week) to accomplish the feat. I set up the sound recording with my buddy, Lenny Lencina. To surely capture the photography, I hired the top guys of Local 644, the cameraman's union. I placed president of the union on the master-shot camera [[His camera was slightly tilted). I placed a very experienced guy down front to capture close-ups of the performers [[He spent half of the show focusing his camera). I placed the third camera in the upper box seats. I assigned this camera to the only black member of the crew. [[We were filming in Harlem.) He was the least experienced member of the crew. But surprisingly he did the best job. The filming was not fabulous. With my concept of a concert film, I did not wish to show the audience. I was ready to roll! Except: at the last moment Local 52 [[the soundmen's union) made me replace my friend Lenny with a black soundman of their choice. I edited the shooting into a one hour concert film. I made a deal with a distributor.”

Motortown Revue: 40th Anniversary Collection included the various artists Motown releases ...........
    Motortown Revue, Vol. 1 Recorded Live at the Apollo [[1963),
    Motortown Revue Vol. 2 [[recorded at Detroit's Fox Theatre in 1964),
    Motortown Revue in Paris [[recorded at the Olympia Theatre in 1965),
    Motortown Revue Live! [[recorded at the Fox Theatre in 1969).

What were the actual dates of the last 3 shows above ??

Over 1000 views for this thread now ......
    .... .... guess its a popular one !!!!!

jsmith

I am not sure. I will look around though and let ya know. Thanks

Thumbs up

Some of these shows are just amazing. What I'd give for a time machine!

Wow-that show with Linda Jones-HOT!!

Between the 10th & 11th October, the Miracles + Martha & Vandellas replaced Stevie Wonder as top of the bill ....
    ..... guess that was because Stevie was needed back in the Detroit studios ....
    his 45 had been hot on the charts -- but after 6 weeks at #1, "Heatwave" had replaced it in mid September
    ... but by the time the show hit Toledo a month after Baltimore, all three acts were on the bill .....
    Attachment 691
    Last edited by jsmith; 08-27-2010 at 02:40 AM.

The Miracles had also topped the bill at the Howard [[see above post & #12) back in late February 63 ...
    ...... but they had been the only Motown act on that earlier show ............
    Attachment 694

......... History tells us that ............
    Oct 26 1962: The First Motor Town Revue took to the road ...... BUT ....
    Attachment 713
    Why wasn't this October 1961 tour classed as a Motor Town Review ???
    After all, all the acts were Motown artists [[including the backing band) .....
    ... ..... ..... so why hasn't this since been credited as the 1st Motor Town Revue ??
    .... OBVIOUSLY the 1st one to actually be labeled a MTR was the 1962 tour as that was when the 'name' was concocted, but looked at retrospectively this revue also had to qualify.
    Last edited by jsmith; 08-28-2010 at 09:38 AM.

A Baltimore club date for the Temptations in 1967 ...
    Attachment 715

By all accounts the promoter was thought to be mad to commit so much money to book the top soul group of the time, but he seems to have done OK judging by this report ...

Attachment 716

He must have done better than David Ruffin, going by this 2nd newspaper piece ....

Attachment 717

The Temptations were due to play Atlantic City's famed Steel Pier in early July 67 [[see above)
    ... AND ... if you are curious as to what Atlantic City's Steel Pier venue looked like ....
    ....... go to post #55 of the My Motown Pictures thread [[Motown Forum).

Annette has debunked the story that her husband wanted her to leave the group--Martha wanted her out.

High everybody. Wow! Great posters! My first theater engagement was at the famous Howard Theater, on an all-Motown[[except me) show. Temptations headlined, Eddie, David, Melvin, Paul and Otis [["I'm losing you" was their current hit) with that amazing five headed microphone. Jimmy Ruffin's "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted" was a hit), Contours with Dennis Edwards as lead singer, The fabulous Velvelettes, and me, replacing Brenda Holloway who was sick. My manager, George Treadwell, who handled the Drifters got me on the show. I was so starstruck, to be around all those Motown stars! Sure wish I had a poster of that show.
    Never forget how sweet and kind Tammi Terrell and Dennis Edwards were to me. She'd hang out in my dressing room and chat with me and my mom. Pictures do not do her justice! And Dennis was kind enough to take us to lunch. Sweet memories.

HEY, SUSAYE, will this do ???

So who was in the Velvelettes for the above show [[Cal + ???).
    ... and either Susaye or John L can answer the question.

I was at that show it was the last[motown review]show that i saw,and of course the temps tore it up!!

MOTORTOWN REVUE 1962

Oct 26 Washington DC - Howard Theater [[Friday)

Nov 2 Boston - Franklin Theater [[Friday)
    Nov 3 New Haven,CT - New Haven Arena
    Nov 4 Buffalo, NY - Memorial Auditorium
    Nov 5 Raleigh, NC - Raleigh City Auditorium
    Nov 6 Charleston, SC - County Hall
    Nov 7 Augusta, GA - Country Club
    Nov 8 Savannah, GA - Bamboo Ranch Club
    Nov 9 Birmingham, AL - National Guard Armoury [[Friday)
    Nov 10 Columbus, GA - City Auditorium
    Nov 11 Atlanta, GA - Magnolia Ballroom
    Nov 12 Mobile, AL - Fort Whiting Auditorium
    Nov 13 New Orleans, LA - State Fair Grounds
    Nov 14 Jackson, MS - College Park Auditorium
    Nov 15 Spartanburg, SC - Memorial Auditorium
    Nov 16 Durham, NC - City Armoury [[Fri)
    Nov 17 Columbia, SC - Township Auditorium
    Nov 18 Washington, DC - Capitol Arena
    Nov 19 DAY OFF
    Nov 20 Greenville, SC - Civic Auditorium
    Nov 21 Tampa, FL - Palladium
    Bradenton, FL - The Palms
    Nov 22 Jacksonville, FL - The Armoury
    Nov 23 Macon, GA - Auditorium [[Fri)
    Nov 24 Daytona Beach, FL - National Guard Armoury
    Nov 25 Miami, FL - Harlem Square
    Nov 26 Orlando, FL - skating rink
    Nov 27 Tallahassee, FL - Field House
    Nov 28 Cheraw, SC
    Nov 29 Charlotte, NC - Long High School
    Nov 30 Louisville, KY - New Park Center [[Fri)

Dec 1 Memphis, TN - Memorial Auditorium
    Dec 2 Nashville, TN - City Auditorium
    Dec 3 Pensacola, FL - Fairground Coliseum
    Dec 4 [ DAY OFF ]
    Dec 5 Richmond, VA - Mosque Auditorium
    Dec 6 [ DAY OFF ]
    Dec 7 New York - Apollo Theater
    Dec 8 New York - Apollo Theater
    Dec 9 New York - Apollo Theater
    Dec 10 New York - Apollo Theater
    Dec 11 New York - Apollo Theater
    Dec 12 New York - Apollo Theater
    Dec 13 New York - Apollo Theater
    Dec 14 New York - Apollo Theater
    Dec 15 New York - Apollo Theater
    Dec 16 New York - Apollo Theater
    Dec 17 Pittsburgh, PA

Thanks for that Davie.
    I'm suprised to see that the 1962 tour didn't play a Cleveland venue or anywhere on the west coast.