[REMOVE ADS]

Gene Evans 45 on Geneva

I know that Ernest Kelly had a lot to do with the Geneva label, both when it was based in New York in 1967/68 and when it was Detroit based in the 70's. Ernest had relocated to Detroit when he landed an A&R post with Motown.

Back in NY, a guy called Gene Evans enjoyed some 45 releases. He had 2 x secular 45's out on NY & the Carolinas related gospel label Golden Beam. He also had a 45 out on Soulworld, which was run by guys who also did things for Golden Beam [[David Osbia, etc).
    However, I have no idea how Gene Evans Soulworld 45 cuts ended up also being released on Geneva.
    Anyone here know when his Soulworld & Geneva 45s were released or how Gene Evans ended up with a 45 out on Geneva ??
    Could this even be a separate Geneva Record label ??
    I ask coz GENE [[E)VAns had a 45 out on GENEVA; it seems too much of a coincidence to me for him not to have an actual connection to this label.
    Attachment 11493
    Last edited by jsmith; 07-16-2016 at 08:45 AM.

Stanpico Music was also listed on the Soulworld 45.
    This music company seemed to have links with Lee Williams [[of the Cymbals) ... does this help at all ?

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    Stanpico Music was also listed on the Soulworld 45.
    This music company seemed to have links with Lee Williams [[of the Cymbals) ... does this help at all ?
    I'd bet the farm that THIS Geneva Records had nothing to do with Ernest Kelly's Geneva Records, which, if I remember correctly, was already based in Detroit by 1967, as Kelly had returned to Detroit in that year.

I'm told that it was a completely separate Geneva Records set-up, most probably owned by GENeEVAns.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    I'm told that it was a completely separate Geneva Records set-up, most probably owned by GENeEVAns.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  21.1 KB
    That makes the most sense.