[REMOVE ADS]

Detroit's 100 Greatest Songs: Counting down 20 to 11

To see the full list of songs so far, click here:

http://www.freep.com/story/entertain...list/84830602/

thanks Marv! a well-rounded list of music out of Detroit

I like the picture of Flo signing autographs for the fans...... always so fan friendly!

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    thanks Marv! a well-rounded list of music out of Detroit
    You are welcome DET! If you subtract Detroit's contribution to American Popular Music, you don't have much left! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    I like the picture of Flo signing autographs for the fans...... always so fan friendly!
    Everyone seemed to love Flo.

I have been keeping a listing of everyone as they were announced. In compiling this statistic, I considered the Spinners Atlantic Recordings and the Four Tops non-Motown recordings as well as Jackie Wilson as Motown affiliated artists, etc.

Of the 90 announced thus far, I determined that 54 out of 90 fall in the above category or 60%.

Anyone care to predict what #1 will be? My prediction: Endless Love.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I have been keeping a listing of everyone as they were announced. In compiling this statistic, I considered the Spinners Atlantic Recordings and the Four Tops non-Motown recordings as well as Jackie Wilson as Motown affiliated artists, etc.

Of the 90 announced thus far, I determined that 54 out of 90 fall in the above category or 60%.

Anyone care to predict what #1 will be? My prediction: Endless Love.
    I think it is going to be either "What's Goin' On?" by Marvin Gaye or "Night Moves" by Bob Seger [[not sure if it has been listed already....).

Could be "Respect" by Aretha.

I think Detroit will feel "Dancing In The Streets" in at least the top 5.

I didn't see "Cool Jerk" by the Capitals on the list and it was extremely popular in Detroit.

I have also noticed that Little Willie John is completely missing from the list and that is a no, no.....

Whoever has come up with this list knows nothing about the song at #20 [["Tears Of A Clown" by SR&TM) .. the version issued as a single in The UK was the same as the version on the 1967 Miracles LP "Make It Happen" .. it was the US 45 Version that was "slightly remodeled" to give it a more contemporary feel. Also "Tears Of A Clown" did NOT spend 7 weeks at #1 in The UK .. it spent ONE week at #1 ... for the following six weeks [[19th September 1970 - 24th October 1970) the UK #1 spot WAS held by a Detroit recording but it wasn't "Tears Of A Clown" it was "Band Of Gold" by FREDA PAYNE.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Whoever has come up with this list knows nothing about the song at #20 [["Tears Of A Clown" by SR&TM) .. the version issued as a single in The UK was the same as the version on the 1967 Miracles LP "Make It Happen" .. it was the US 45 Version that was "slightly remodeled" to give it a more contemporary feel. Also "Tears Of A Clown" did NOT spend 7 weeks at #1 in The UK .. it spent ONE week at #1 ... for the following six weeks [[19th September 1970 - 24th October 1970) the UK #1 spot WAS held by a Detroit recording but it wasn't "Tears Of A Clown" it was "Band Of Gold" by FREDA PAYNE.

Roger

Great information Roger and thank you. I am not sure if "Band of Gold" even made the list. There is tremendous amount of popular Detroit based recordings that are not there. Recordings by artist like Brainstorm, the Dramatics, even the Winans. I did notice that Anita Baker showed up on the list even though she is from Toledo.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Great information Roger and thank you. I am not sure if "Band of Gold" even made the list. There is tremendous amount of popular Detroit based recordings that are not there. Recordings by artist like Brainstorm, the Dramatics, even the Winans. I did notice that Anita Baker showed up on the list even though she is from Toledo.
    Marv ... There was one week in 1970 when "Band Of Gold" was #1 on The UK chart when the Top 3 positions were held by Detroit recordings .. at #2 there was "Tears Of A Clown" and at #3 there was "Give Me Just A Little More Time" by CHAIRMEN OF THE BOARD ... this is the link to the official chart webpage where the full Top 30 for that week [[20th September 1970) can be seen ...

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts...19700920/7501/

That web-site has every "official" UK chart going back to the 1950s and can be very addictive for chartaholics such as myself. I've been known to spend the odd hour or two trawling through that site to see the progress of favourite recordings.

I think I'd best explain that the "official" chart has always meant the sales-based chart that The BBC used. Historically certain UK music papers and radio stations have produced alternative charts, sometimes sales-based sometimes based on airplay and/or a feel for what is "happening", but whatever The BBC decided to use is generally thought of as being more "accurate" .. much as in The US the "Billboard" charts are generally thought to be the ones to take most seriously.

Other Detroit recordings/artists on the "official" UK Top 30 chart that week were DIANA ROSS, ARETHA FRANKLIN, THE TEMPTATIONS and a re-promoted "Jimmy Mack" by MARTHA & THE VANDELLAS .. I'm not sure why the chart calls Martha's hit "Jimmy Mack [[1970)" as it was exactly the same record as had been a hit in 1967 and even had the same catalogue number.

Happy days

Roger

Roger
    The UK single also used the stereo Make It Happen lead vocal by Smokey and not the vocal on the mono version of the album.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    The UK single also used the stereo Make It Happen lead vocal by Smokey and not the vocal on the mono version of the album.
    Thats' because the UK 45 was issued in stereo. YTMG 745A

Marv ... There was one week in 1970 when "Band Of Gold" was #1 on The UK chart when the Top 3 positions were held by Detroit recordings .. at #2 there was "Tears Of A Clown" and at #3 there was "Give Me Just A Little More Time" by CHAIRMEN OF THE BOARD ... this is the link to the official chart webpage where the full Top 30 for that week [[20th September 1970) can be seen ...

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts...19700920/7501/

That web-site has every "official" UK chart going back to the 1950s and can be very addictive for chartaholics such as myself. I've been known to spend the odd hour or two trawling through that site to see the progress of favourite recordings.

I think I'd best explain that the "official" chart has always meant the sales-based chart that The BBC used. Historically certain UK music papers and radio stations have produced alternative charts, sometimes sales-based sometimes based on airplay and/or a feel for what is "happening", but whatever The BBC decided to use is generally thought of as being more "accurate" .. much as in The US the "Billboard" charts are generally thought to be the ones to take most seriously.

Other Detroit recordings/artists on the "official" UK Top 30 chart that week were DIANA ROSS, ARETHA FRANKLIN, THE TEMPTATIONS and a re-promoted "Jimmy Mack" by MARTHA & THE VANDELLAS .. I'm not sure why the chart calls Martha's hit "Jimmy Mack [[1970)" as it was exactly the same record as had been a hit in 1967 and even had the same catalogue number.

Happy days

Roger
    Wow, Roger thanks! I have multi-year charts for the U.S. and Canada's [[RPM) and this for the U.K. Yes 1970 was a great year for Detroit music.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Thats' because the UK 45 was issued in stereo. YTMG 745A
    Ah right John, I guess this was the mono to stereo cutover time as many songs from the UK Motown Chartbusters volume 5 era were released in mono.

I enjoyed the Bob Ohllson interview. Listen to it if you haven't yet. Bob's technical credentials are impeccable.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    Ah right John, I guess this was the mono to stereo cutover time as many songs from the UK Motown Chartbusters volume 5 era were released in mono.
    The "no longer mono and now it's stereo" started in 1970. Where stuff had been released from albums, the opportunities to use stereo was easier. However, if a track had been issued in the US, then that same mix would be used in the UK and that tended to be mono...there are always exceptions of course.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    The "no longer mono and now it's stereo" started in 1970. Where stuff had been released from albums, the opportunities to use stereo was easier. However, if a track had been issued in the US, then that same mix would be used in the UK and that tended to be mono...there are always exceptions of course.
    Actually it was near the end of 1969 theboyfromxtown ... the first Stereo TMG [[indicated by YTMG being used as the small version of the catalogue number on the disc for those who don't know) was "The Onion Song" by MARVIN GAYE & TAMMI TERRELL ... issued as TMG 715 on 31st October 1969 ....
    http://www.45cat.com/record/tmg715
    This wasn't released as a US single until March 1970 so there wouldn't have been any pressure on UK Motown to release the same mix as on any US single.

The next one was the reissue of "Take Some Time Out For Love" by THE ISLEY BROTHERS on TMG 719 two weeks later ....
    http://www.45cat.com/record/tmg719
    This was a track from 1966 so it is a bit strange that UK Motown went with the stereo version.

The two releases scheduled for the first week in 1970 were both in stereo .. "I Can't Get Next To You" by THE TEMPTATIONS [[TMG 722) and the withdrawn "Oh How Happy" by EDWIN STARR & BLINKY [[TMG 720) ....
    http://www.45cat.com/record/tmg720
    http://www.45cat.com/record/tmg722

We were 5 months behind The US with "Oh How Happy" and "I Can't Get Next To You" so the question has to be "were the US 7" issues of these on Gordy in stereo"?

Roger

Yes Roger...late 1969. I should have checked when the Onion Song came out.

Oh How Happy was mono in the US. Apparently there were stereo copies of I Cant Get Next To You....but I never managed to get one.

Dancing In the Street came in at #3.

Respect came in at #1.

Endless Love by DR and LR did not make the cut in the entire 100 song listing. A shame.

It seems that there is about 50% Motown songs in the top 10 the top 20 and top 30. That is a great achievement considering some of those songs are over 50 years old.

Particularly interesting to see was that Grapevine by Gladys and also Marvin were neck and neck with Marvin just winning out.

Marvin & Tammi's Aint No Mountain High Enough easily beat Diana's version.

Congrats to Aretha with one of her many cover versions.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  21.1 KB
    Where are the great Mike Hanks productions:

"It's Been So Long" - by The Leaping Flames, lead by fabulous lead Jimmy Ingram?

"Grand Spanish Lady" - by The Royal Ravens

And where is "Lucky To Be Loved By You" by Emmanuel Lask[[e)y, [[great Don Davis production)

My Top 100 Detroit songs would be WAY different. It would include a lot of obscure releases. unreleased recordings, and just a few "hits". But, sadly, any "100 greatest list" would be measured by commercial or large cult success.

I did a quick calculation of the Top 100 songs as they apply to Motown. I considered the Spinners as Motown artists because they started there; I considered the Four Tops after Motown songs, and Jackie Wilson because they were written and some Motown artists were background singers. Overall 59 of the 100 = 59% were a result of Motown and it's influence.

Tabulation by artist[[s).

Temptations - 9
    Stevie Wonder - Supremes - Marvin Gaye - 6 each
    Four Tops - 5
    Miracles - 4
    Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - Spinners - Martha Reeves & Vandellas - 3 each
    Smokey Robinson & Miracles - Jackie Wilson - 2 each

Following had one song each: Contours, Rare Earth, Jimmy Ruffin, Jr. Walker & All Stars,
    Marvelettes, Mary Wells, Barrett Strong, Diana Ross, Edwin Starr, and Gladys Knight and the Pips.

I am amazed that the Supremes had less songs than the Temptations.

Just a quick tabulation that I wanted to conduct to see how they performed vs. others.

So the Jackson 5 had none in the chart! Wow.

A few other notable omissions......one in particular I am not even going to mention cos it will make me cry!

Boo hoo!

Respect came in at #1.

Endless Love by DR and LR did not make the cut in the entire 100 song listing. A shame.
    I guessed that "Respect" could be one of 3 songs that make it to number one.

Respect came in at #1.

I knew "Endless Love" was not going to make it to number just based on my memory of when it was on the radio back in 1981. In Detroit it was viewed as too MOR or Adult Contemporary. I received a lot of airplay but it was never that popular in Detroit I personally could not wait for it to fall of the charts so we did have to hear it so often.

Another title , James Jamerson's greatest hits.

I am sure a lot of you picked up that at least 50% of the songs featured the great James Jamerson on bass, obviously most of the Motown songs along with Higher and Higher and Boom,Boom,Boom.
    I wrote Brian about the fact that I would have thought that the 4 Tops two legendary songs- Reach Out, my favorites, and I Can't help Myself would have placed much higher- heck Sugar Pie Honey Bunch was number one the whole summer of 1965, that alone would make it number one.
    Brian responded back that he agreed and would have placed a lot higher on his choices.
    Not a lot of rhyme or reason why some artist made the list and some were snubbed, i.e. Madonna, Tommy James, Jackson Five, Michael Jackson etc.
    I sort of understand, but not really clear, for example Del Shannon certainly is not considered a Detroiter, so why him and not others.
    I would have hoped a Motown song would have been number one, and not Respect- what the heck.

Quote Originally Posted by tmd View Post
    I am sure a lot of you picked up that at least 50% of the songs featured the great James Jamerson on bass, obviously most of the Motown songs along with Higher and Higher and Boom,Boom,Boom.
    I wrote Brian about the fact that I would have thought that the 4 Tops two legendary songs- Reach Out, my favorites, and I Can't help Myself would have placed much higher- heck Sugar Pie Honey Bunch was number one the whole summer of 1965, that alone would make it number one.
    Brian responded back that he agreed and would have placed a lot higher on his choices.
    Not a lot of rhyme or reason why some artist made the list and some were snubbed, i.e. Madonna, Tommy James, Jackson Five, Michael Jackson etc.
    I sort of understand, but not really clear, for example Del Shannon certainly is not considered a Detroiter, so why him and not others.
    I would have hoped a Motown song would have been number one, and not Respect- what the heck.
Views: 229
    Del Shannon was from Grand Rapids. But he worked for Harry Balk and Irv Mikahnic, who operated out of Detroit. So, I'd consider his music Detroit music.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 229
    Del Shannon was from Grand Rapids. But he worked for Harry Balk and Irv Mikahnic, who operated out of Detroit. So, I'd consider his music Detroit music.
    Didn't also use to live in the Ann Arbor area as did Barbara Lewis and Deon Jackson?