[REMOVE ADS]

Looking for Photos of Morey Baker's in Detroit

Hi everyone. Does anyone have any late sixties early seventy photos of Morey Baker's Lounge in Detroit on Livernois between Six and Seven Mile Road?

Here's the best I can do...

Name:  Baker's_Keyboard_Lounge_Detroit_Michigan.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  101.5 KB

Name:  192857.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  9.8 KB

Sunliners featuring Ralph...
    I saw Maynard Furgueson and Bill Doggett at the Minor key. Bill Doggett at the Flame.
    The Sunliners played the Webwood in 1962 when it was a club in decline. By the time we left 13 week later, the place was, once again, popular.
    Here is a pic of The Sunliners playing to the chairs the week we opened.

There is an oldie, Mike.

Hi Dennis; you may want to post this in the Detroit Yes! website, those people over there are good at tracking down old buildings and spots in Detroit.
    Hi MIKEW-UK; you pic you posted is of Baker's Keyboard Lounge which is on Livernois near 8 Mile Road, not between 6 and 7 mile roads; and it was owned by Clarence Baker for a long time.

Hello Dennis...isn't Morey Baker's now called The Locker Room? Livernois just north of Curtis.

Hey Dennis!!!

Unfortunately I couldn't find any photos of Morey Baker's online, but I'll ask around!

Gary: Yes, Dennis told me that Morey Baker's is indeed called the Locker Room now. Until recently, Dave Brandon [[drummer for The Spinners, Dramatics, and more) was hosting a jam session there on Sunday nights. This live video with James Jamerson Jr. was filmed there:
    It was always slam packed, and always a good time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    Hello Dennis...isn't Morey Baker's now called The Locker Room? Livernois just north of Curtis.

I spent a lot of time hanging there during my college days...No cell phones, so no pictures other than what I see in my mind...Morrie in his leather jacket [[until he passed), his daughter and her husband Marv who took the place over [[bad hairpiece and all)...nice guy...A certain guy who Marv complained to me would bring his own bottle in to drink from...then ended up buying the place...I know the janitors room there very well...Me and WIllie [[the handyman) spent a lot of time there filling the little room up with smoke lol...Stevie and his brother Calvin who I went to school with would come in there from time to time and set his little synth up on the ledge around the stage and sit in with The Counts...Next door was J Walter Kennedys [[a chain started by an old NBA commissioner)...Walked into Kennedys one night and see my buddy, former Detroit Piston George Trapp sitting there eating...Problem was...Pistons were out of town on the road at the time..."George...what the hell are you doing here"? Didn't know he got suspended for a couple of games by the coach......Used to head there from Morries...I recall very well another night [[early morning) ...way too much alcohol and smoke...Ordered my breakfast...stood up...lights went out...open my eyes and Obie Benson of the 4 Tops standing over me..."You OK man"???...Helped pick me up and then I proceeded to finish my bacon and eggs...LOL...Shook Jamesons hand when he was there playing with Dennis one night as he was heading for the bathroom and I was going into the janitors closet...Crazy times...BTW...Is the fire station across Kennedys parking lot still there???...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 07-15-2016 at 09:06 AM.

Hey Stubass; yes the fire station is still there! It is now a fire station and an EMS station. I still live in the neighborhood, not too far from where you and I grew up...I think I went into Morrie's once, as I had heard that a lot of "bad" things were happening in there!...

Quote Originally Posted by stingbeelee View Post
    Hey Stubass; yes the fire station is still there! It is now a fire station and an EMS station. I still live in the neighborhood, not too far from where you and I grew up...I think I went into Morrie's once, as I had heard that a lot of "bad" things were happening in there!...
    Lee...I don't recall anything really bad ever happening there...but it was a place where a cross section of people, players from the underworld, off duty cops, musicians, and music aficionados hung out...You might see big time drug dealer sitting at a table next to a plainclothes police detective...Hmmm...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 07-15-2016 at 10:22 AM.

Bettye's regular hang was at the Locker Room, along with Pervis of the Spinners. She still goes by every time she visits Detroit. David Brandon was her drummer for a long time. She even gave back by having her label shoot this promo video at the Locker Room.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0nO9VXC6lw