[REMOVE ADS]

A Kiki Dee Thread

Kiki Dee deserves a thread they said so no sooner said than done. Here's that clip again and, this is a very good record from Kiki.

Also another favourite.......

Go on then, you've twisted my arm, one more of Kiki's Motown recordings......

Great singer and a lovely person to boot. This thread officially started on the "Mary Wilson walks and chews gum at the same time" thread so if you haven't read that yet you may wish to do so. Thank you mysterysinger for starting this well deserved thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Kiki Dee deserves a thread they said so no sooner said than done. Here's that clip again and, this is a very good record from Kiki.
    Kiki Dee had a great, emotive voice, was an attractive woman, and stage presence. This was a very good Motown song. [[A "number one smash"? No, but I digress...) All that said, it kinda pisses me off that this audience looks BORED. One kid behind her is sitting with his face leaning on his hand. Another girl is just staring off. There's Kiki/Pauline gyrating and trying to sell this song with a decent lip sync and nobody in the crowd seems to give a $hit. Maybe they were told to stay quiet while she performed? Yet, no one is clapping along or moving to the beat. What a shame. Is there something I'm missing about this clip to explain it?

Kiki was one of Motown's better "imports" from outside Detroit and yet nothing ever happened for her at Motown. Such a shame--she even recorded IN Detroit!

Thanks for starting the thread, MysterySinger, and for stating the vids!
    Last edited by danman869; 06-28-2016 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Added "to explain it" to end of firs paragraph.

If they'd known how big she would be they would have paid more attention. But you know it's often the audience that sit and listen that give the best feedback and there was a good level of applause at the end. I'd love to see more of her Motown songs sung live" by Kiki. I wonder if she's ever appeared at these soul weekenders etc.

If they'd known how big she would be they would have paid more attention. But you know it's often the audience that sit and listen that give the best feedback and there was a good level of applause at the end. I'd love to see more of her Motown songs sung live" by Kiki. I wonder if she's ever appeared at these soul weekenders etc.
    I like 'The Day...' but I love Kiki's version of Deon Jackson's gem, and the arrangement and playing too...

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    I like 'The Day...' but I love Kiki's version of Deon Jackson's gem, and the arrangement and playing too...
    No she hasn't appeared at any soul weekenders. After leaving Motown she moved more towards pop, jazz and blues , but her love of soul music remains.

Well I think Kiki Dee would be great on a Motown revival show [[come to think of it something like the Divas of Motown would have been good with Jack Ashford). She could perform some of the soul songs she recorded pre-Motown as well as her Motown beats and her hits as well. She has a great catalogue to choose from. Imagine her singing "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" with, say, Dennis Edwards.

Well I think Kiki Dee would be great on a Motown revival show [[come to think of it something like the Divas of Motown would have been good with Jack Ashford). She could perform some of the soul songs she recorded pre-Motown as well as her Motown beats and her hits as well. She has a great catalogue to choose from. Imagine her singing "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" with, say, Dennis Edwards.
    Sounds like a good idea. Let me put it too her. One never knows............

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    I agree... her version is great! This song is always on my playlist rotation.

SupremeBoy Guest
    I love KiKi Dee...thanks for starting this thread. She's sadly almost always overlooked and a hugely underrated singer.

Quote Originally Posted by SupremeBoy View Post
    I love KiKi Dee...thanks for starting this thread. She's sadly almost always overlooked and a hugely underrated singer.
    Very well said SupremeBoy. The lady is a diamond in every respect and she is reading this thread!

UK fans of Kiki Dee will be pleased to hear that radio 2 will broadcast a special programme called "I've got the music in me" on Monday 04/07/16 at 10pm. Kiki will play the music of the artists that influenced her career and od course discuss her lengthy career. Sounds good to me.

I have always enjoyed Kiki Dee but didn't know she recorded for Motown until after her big hit with Elton. When I found her Motown recordings on CD I immediately bought them. I really love them. It was the first time I ever heard The Day Will Come Between Sunday and Monday, a song I'd heard was also recorded by The Supremes. She's on my mp3 player and gets a hit every couple of months.

Initially I bought the UK single "The Day will Come..." and then the "Great Expectations" album [[probably not that long after it came out). The album cover we got in the UK is gorgeous and much more tasteful than the US one which just feels a bit over the top with its "Britishness" theme. No arguments, though, about the quality of the music on there and "Jimmy" became an instant fave. Then they made the album available again on a budget label [[Sounds Superb) with some different tracks and a different cover. Finally, all Kiki's Motown tracks were made available officially on CD "Love Makes The World Go Round - The Motown Years" - a day I thought I would never see. Wish there had been more recordings. In between, of course, was the bootleg Marginal CD which brought "Great Expectations" together with earlier, non-Motown recordings.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 07-01-2016 at 02:57 PM.

I'm confused. This thread is not about Mary Wilson or Diana Ross. How did that happen?

Initially I bought the UK single "The Day will Come..." and then the "Great Expectations" album [[probably not that long after it came out). The album cover we got in the UK is gorgeous and much more tasteful than the US one which just feels a bit over the top with its "Britishness" theme. No arguments, though, about the quality of the music on there and "Jimmy" became an instant fave. Then they made the album available again on a budget label [[Sounds Superb) with some different tracks and a different cover. Finally, all Kiki's Motown tracks were made available officially on CD "Love Makes The World Go Round - The Motown Years" - a day I thought I would never see. Wish there had been more recordings. In between, of course, was the bootleg Marginal CD which brought "Great Expectations" together with earlier, non-Motown recordings.
    I first bought that Marginal CD, mysterysinger. It was replaced with the official CD when that became available. I know many do not have anything good to say about the Marginal releases but they got me through the down periods when we weren't getting any official recordings on cd. I have pretty much replaced all my Marginals with official recordings now.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I'm confused. This thread is not about Mary Wilson or Diana Ross. How did that happen?
    Shhhh! Don't tell em'

Shhhh! Don't tell em'
    Kiki was very gracious and helpful when we were putting her Motown CD together - in fact it probably wouldn't have been anywhere near as good had she not had an input.
    I did send her the link to the video on Youtube of The Day Will Come which she remembered doing but had never seen...

Shhhh! Don't tell em'
    Ha ha. It must not be allowed to happen again, but if it is any consolation we did start to discuss Kiki on Mary Wilson thread regarding her walking and chewing gum at the same time!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Kiki was very gracious and helpful when we were putting her Motown CD together - in fact it probably wouldn't have been anywhere near as good had she not had an input.
    I did send her the link to the video on Youtube of The Day Will Come which she remembered doing but had never seen...
    What do you think Paul, Kiki Dee on a Soul Weekender bill or similar? Personally I'd love a Divas of Motown 2 and a different line up.

What do you think Paul, Kiki Dee on a Soul Weekender bill or similar? Personally I'd love a Divas of Motown 2 and a different line up.
    A soul weekender would be a good idea. I like that. Hurry up though before I can only get there in a wheel chair

Go to 29:34

She went To Detroit in 1969 for 12 weeks.

Mid October 1969

Something [[not so) new....

I adore this song.

It's my all time favourite record of Kiki's and my favourite version of the song.

Here's Kiki from 1965 - the film is a snapshot of mid-60s Britain, well, at least a film-maker's snapshot. She sings first at 3:44...

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    A soul weekender would be a good idea. I like that. Hurry up though before I can only get there in a wheel chair

Kiki Dee" performing Live Sat 14th Oct 2017 at www.soul-galore.com

No sooner said than ......
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...qnV16NHeGfbLad

"On a magic carpet ride" was played at some venues back in the golden era.
    Great record IMO

I have always liked Kiki Dee's voice. My favourite song by her was always Loving And Free", but she sure did justice to songs like YMMSVH.
    I remember seeing her on the London stage in the 80's in a musical named "Pump Boys And Dinettes " I think one of her best albums is a live set she she released a few years back of songs she had previously recorded.

Just added 8 tracks from the album - "Love Makes The World Go Round" to the playlist.
    They will start to play at various times tomorrow [[Wednesday 19th October 2016)

http://www.radionomy.com/en/radio/motown365/index

GT03uk

It might have been the thirteenth attempt following technical problems. I've seen that in TV studios. Kiki was a pro and gave it to them again. You couldn't always get audiences that would repeat. Some of them look like they were sober by then.