Which is part of the issue, strange though it may seem a large number of people in The UK actually like The Americans and have an inherent distrust of some of our neighbours on The Continent. As a result they are very wary of anything designed to "take on The Americans". I did used to be very "Pro-Europe" in the 1970s and 1980s, but the way they have imposed The Euro on countries which were clearly unsuited to it has managed to kill off any enthusiasm I used to have.

Roger
The "distrust" between the US and Mexico [[mostly) and/or Canada are canards fabricated mostly by one megalomaniac in his quest for the presidency. To wit, there are a lot of issues in the UK with the EU, one of the most prevalent being with immigrants employed in English jobs and lowering wages. Undocumented immigrants in the US actually keep the economy afloat by taking jobs that no American wants for pay that none would accept.

If Trump wins, I hope he starts with all of the immigrants who work on the farms and in custodial and landscaping roles first. At a time when there is a deep divide within the Democratic party about raising the minimum wage to $15/hour [[with zero reason to believe the Republicans will be inclined to do so), can you imagine all of a sudden filling those extremely difficult $4/hour jobs with US citizens who are "suffering" through a period with 5.8% unemployment?

It won't happen. There are simply too many available jobs that pay more for less work and frequently in air conditioned environments. The anti-immigrant angst and generally xenophobic sentiment that is portrayed in the media is pure BS and nobody on television or in press is honest enough to discuss it for what it is: an economic reality, not a legal or social problem. Prices for everything will skyrocket without those workers and Donald J. Trump and every one of his shills knows it.

The rate of crimes committed by undocumented immigrants is lower than that committed by Americans in general. The fervor for building a wall and kicking them all out was kicked off solely by the fearmongering son of perdition whose true agenda is to strengthen the grips of the American apartheid that we're already experiencing and ensure that White people will remain in power after they are no longer the majority in the next 30 years.