[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SOUL REVIVAL! Former Supreme Begs Diana Ross For A Reunion

SOUL REVIVAL!
    Former Supreme Begs Diana Ross For A Reunion
    Mary Wilson wants to stop feuding in the name of love — and money!

By J.R. Taylor
    Jun 4, 2016 @ 17:38PM
    diana-ross-getty-splash-PP

Getty/Splash
    If former Supremes singer Mary Wilson gets her wish, someday she and estranged bandmate Diana Ross will be together!

Now 72, Mary says she wants to make up with the “Lady Sings the Blues” star.

The childhood pals have been on the outs ever since the Supremes broke up and Mary accused Diana of being a spotlight-grabbing diva in her book “Dreamgirls.”

But asked what her biggest regret is, Mary says, “If I was leaving [[the planet) tomorrow, I would make things right with Diana.”

On a personal level, the “Where Did Our Love Go” singer doesn’t mind admitting that she has money problems.

Liza Minnelli — Dying Star’s Final Days

“Now, after 60 years, I find myself having to work,” she said.

“Thank God I love what I do and still have a voice!”

I have only one message for Mary Wilson:

Sorry Doesn't Always Make It Right

I do not usually take a whole lot of notice of these kind of rumours but from private information i have been given it sounds like there is more than a grain of truth in this story. It would be nice if the two ladies in question could kiss and make up but as far as i am concerned that ship sailed many moons ago. It is a lovely thought but i would be amazed if they ever shared a stage again.

honest man Guest
    I reckon Diana got wised up to her old backup singer a long time ago,and the chances of singing with Mary, i reckon will be never.Although it would bring closure as these girls are clocking on .

I wonder where these tidbits of information come from for use by ChatRags like the National Enquirer. I was told years ago that generally there is some accuracy to what they are printing. I'm surprised Mary wants to talk publicly about a lack of money, the need to work and wanting to fix things up with Diana Ross before she passes.

It's so many years ago. As BigAl posted recently, a reunion tour wouldn't be a big draw anymore.

these days with things like Snapchat, Instagram etc , when many things become a big draw, and where the entertainment biz is now 'the news', this WOULD be a big draw, if only for the people who want to be in the audience on the night that someone were 'to go south' if you know what I mean.. especially a one night only Pay Per View type thing, or for one of the cable channels.. it's never gonna happen but it would be a very big deal..

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I wonder where these tidbits of information come from for use by ChatRags like the National Enquirer. I was told years ago that generally there is some accuracy to what they are printing. I'm surprised Mary wants to talk publicly about a lack of money, the need to work and wanting to fix things up with Diana Ross before she passes.
    It's so many years ago. As BigAl posted recently, a reunion tour wouldn't be a big draw anymore.
    Mary should have swallowed her pride back in 2000 and accepted the big cheque for RTL. The sad truth is that a reunion now would be of little interest to anyone except die hard fans . Diana is only too aware of this and is quite happy to carry on as she is . Not sure it is wise of Mary to be telling all this in public. If she wants to make up with Diana she should get in touch privately. Too much damage has been done and i doubt these ladies can ever be friends again. It is a sad situation but Mary only has herself to blame. It could and should have been so different.

Bluebrock...

I agree with everything you say, and feel the same degree of regret as you, in reading it.

I hold Mary and Diana in equal regard. Both have been successful ladies, and have made great achievements with their lives.

If the story were to be untrue, would Mary have not already issued either a denial, or a clarification of what she actually meant?

I hope that this story is not simply a precursor for a further negative story of yet another noted figure in entertainment not retaining sufficient of their income to pay their taxes...

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Bluebrock...

I agree with everything you say, and feel the same degree of regret as you, in reading it.

I hold Mary and Diana in equal regard. Both have been successful ladies, and have made great achievements with their lives.

If the story were to be untrue, would Mary have not already issued either a denial, or a clarification of what she actually meant?

I hope that this story is not simply a precursor for a further negative story of yet another noted figure in entertainment not retaining sufficient of their income to pay their taxes...
    Thank you westgrandboulevard. It isa very sad state of affairs. I love Mary but she has handled this all wrong. I have met her twice recently and she was in a difficult mood on both occasions. I hope she manages to get her act together and move on with her life.

The one thing I've noticed is that the press always ask Mary about reconciling with Diana, but you never hear or see them [[the press) ask Diana. I also notice that Mary talks so fast trying to get as much information out as possible, so no telling what she really meant tot say. I really think Mary wish she were in a better financial position so that she could do other things like acting. One thing I can say is that is if she's so broke why is she always traveling all over the world, I would love to be that broke

I've met Mary on 6 different occasions and she was always very pleasant and friendly.
    Last edited by rod_rick; 06-27-2016 at 01:41 AM.

How odd a reunion for Diana Ross and The Supremes without Cindy ? How odd to ask Diana to participate in something like that. Let it Go, the Train has really left this time.

Mary Wilson, a member of legendary singing group The Supremes, opens up about Diana Ross, Florence Ballard, and money.

[Read Part 1 here]

In the first part of our interview with legendary singer and original member of the great Supremes, Mary Wilson shared that she deeply wants to restore her relationship with the group’s lead singer Diana Ross and that she wished that she could have helped original member Florence Ballard with her problems with alcohol and depression.

Through her childhood experiences and the financial success that came with the Supremes, Wilson says she has learned a lot about her relationship with money. She continues to share her insights with BE.com.

Tisdale: Going from difficult financial circumstances to great wealth proves challenging for a lot of people. What was your experience?

Wilson: I have learned that having money can make life easier, but if you don’t invest or save for that rainy day, it can be devastating. I’ve also learned the dangers of believing that that rainy day will never come.

After graduating high school, my thinking was that if I got a hit record it would secure my future. At the age of 20, we got our first million-selling record. My future was secured, and after five consecutive No. 1 records, I was convinced.

I was making so much money, and thought I was doing the right thing by hiring accountants, managers, PR firms, etc. The spending, however, was too much. I always thought, however, that I would catch up but I was never ahead.

Tisdale: How has that played out?

Wilson: After many years of this cycle, the Depression hit. Work in the corporate shows I had been doing dried up. Also, fighting some bad lawsuits, where people were chasing the name of the Supremes, and fake groups took the savings I had. I also loaned money to others that I never got back. I realized that this was the rainy day people talked about. Now, after 60 years, I find myself having to work, and think about all the money I threw away. All I can say for myself is that I should have listened to them and they said save for that rainy day. However, thank God I love what I do and still have a voice. Mom was right; a better education would have certainly helped.

So yes, money can make life easier, as I have had a great life, had I saved, however, it would be even better now.

http://www.blackenterprise.com/money...ard-and-money/
    Last edited by milven; 06-25-2016 at 01:25 PM.

honest man Guest
    Maybe she hopes Diana will help her out with another Backhander.just sayin'.cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Maybe she hopes Diana will help her out with another Backhander.just sayin'.cheers.
    The last couple of those didn't have money in them.

what's a backhander?

back·hand·er
    ˈbakˌhandər
    noun
    a backhand stroke or shot in a game.
    a blow made with the back of the hand.
    BRITISH informal
    a secret payment, typically one made illegally; a bribe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    what's a backhander?
    I was wondering that too. Is it a secret loan, or a helping hand on the DL ?

The last couple were a cuff across the backside of the head and no money given. She offered $4 million a few years back and nothing since. Poverty pleas won't drag out anything this time.

I wonder where her money comes from, since after 1972, her tours and records were flop after flop.
    Is she still famous outside the Supremes fans circle ?

honest man Guest
    I reckon not, she is mostly known for hanging on to Diana's bugle beads and rhinestone coat tails and a can opening ceremony in her solo years but we must hand it to her for dragging out her Diana Ross association,hence this conversation.Although Mary's contribution from 60s-70s music is very much appreciated in my house,cheers

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    I reckon not, she is mostly known for hanging on to Diana's bugle beads and rhinestone coat tails and a can opening ceremony in her solo years but we must hand it to her for dragging out her Diana Ross association,hence this conversation.Although Mary's contribution from 60s-70s music is very much appreciated in my house,cheers
    She is practically unknown to most people under 40 or indeed most older people who are not motown fans. She herself admitted this last year, but there is still a [[shrinking) market such as the recent legends UK tour which was little short of disastrous through no fault of Marys i hasten to add.
    One of my son -in-laws had no idea who she was when i asked him and he is 44 and considers himself to be a motown fan, but having said that he could not name any past/present members of the Four Tops and Temptations either.
    I cannot be too harsh on Mary because of her legacy in the 60's and 70's but i do question some of her decisions which have ultimately shaped her fate and future. Diana will not entertain any ideas of a reunion anymore. Once you lose her trust it is gone for good as i have indirectly seen during mu association with her, but i wish Mary only the best and i hope her financial difficulties can be overcome by continuing to work for a good standard of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    She is practically unknown to most people under 40 or indeed most older people who are not motown fans. She herself admitted this last year, but there is still a [[shrinking) market such as the recent legends UK tour which was little short of disastrous through no fault of Marys i hasten to add.
    One of my son -in-laws had no idea who she was when i asked him and he is 44 and considers himself to be a motown fan, but having said that he could not name any past/present members of the Four Tops and Temptations either.
    I cannot be too harsh on Mary because of her legacy in the 60's and 70's but i do question some of her decisions which have ultimately shaped her fate and future. Diana will not entertain any ideas of a reunion anymore. Once you lose her trust it is gone for good as i have indirectly seen during mu association with her, but i wish Mary only the best and i hope her financial difficulties can be overcome by continuing to work for a good standard of living.
    In the end, in all of our lives, isn't it true that "what goes around comes around"?

Seems to me, it's all just gone full circle.

I have to admit that since I know her, only because of the drama she makes concerning her relation with Diana Ross, I stare at her with suspicion and little sympathy, I may be biased.

I can understand her resentment towards Diana Ross but I also think that Diana expressed her view very well in her interview with Barbara Walters in 2000.

Diana was nice with her at the opening night of Motown in Broadway. I don't think she want to go further in the public eyes.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....look folks let's just stop this madness now,there's a better chance of the[partridge family]getting back on stage.

SupremeBoy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....look folks let's just stop this madness now,there's a better chance of the[partridge family]getting back on stage.
    I for one would love to see a Partridge Reunion but alas, that will never be. Poor Tracy is gone and Susan Dey is just too much of a diva to participate in such a venture.

All kidding aside, Mary should just stop addressing the question about Supremes reunions and Diana Ross in general.

I agree that these issues always come up when she is interviewed. When Diana is interviewed no one asks her those types of questions, and maybe it's because the interviewers are given a set of guidelines as to what and what not ask her. Maybe Mary should do the same because honestly, every interview she does is a repetition of the last one. It's as if she has nothing more interesting to say.

RossHolloway Guest
    I love Mary and I feel somewhat sad/sorry for her. She missed out on a great opportunity 16 years ago to regroup with Diana and Cindy to do a tour. While at the time she may have had a point about the money issue, but $5 million is still $5 million and something tells me that was probably more than she had in the bank at the time. If the tour had been successful, I don't think Mary would be in the current situation that she's in now, new doors and opportunities would have probably opened up for her after that tour and things would probably be different for her today [[and Cindy). What a missed opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    I love Mary and I feel somewhat sad/sorry for her. She missed out on a great opportunity 16 years ago to regroup with Diana and Cindy to do a tour. While at the time she may have had a point about the money issue, but $5 million is still $5 million and something tells me that was probably more than she had in the bank at the time. If the tour had been successful, I don't think Mary would be in the current situation that she's in now, new doors and opportunities would have probably opened up for her after that tour and things would probably be different for her today [[and Cindy). What a missed opportunity.
    Totally agree Ross. I said much the same back in 2000. I said that Mary would regret not doing RTL. It would also have been an opportunity for her to make some kind of peace with Diana who at the time was willing to extend the olive branch but will not do so now . Mary will never starve but neither will she ever experience the wealth she aquired from her book which i criticised at the time. I said it would come back to haunt her and that gives me no pleasure whatsoever.

It would be wise for Mary to stop raising Diana at every press conference. But I suspect the press Mary gets is pretty minor these days and they do not want to ask her any other questions. She had no hits and no really significant public career after the Supremes and so they have little interest. What she learned to do was buckle down and work hard with what was available to her. And for that she deserves respect.

I suspect the easier way for her to get media attention, is to publicize her relation with Diana Ross . She took herself in her own media trap and won't stop

I have never seen the Supremes live as I am a decade to young. But loved the Supremes thru Diana success and the 70s Supremes didn't do badly either.as a result of not being around for the original group I had hoped the RTL tour would correct that. But after Mary said yes.she then said no and then went on 2020 to kinda diss on Diana again
    .it was doomed. Sadly.I have seen both ladies.both talented. Both are survivors. I just don't get the drama.

After everything that has aired through the press about the girls it would be hard to swallow that just for a final concert they decided to make up. Cindy is more than likely unable to do a show or a run for a reunion so there is no Diana Ross and The Supremes reunion.

By the way, did Cindy said something about Diana ? good or bad

Here is what Cindy had to say which is just so Cindy - nothing bad to say ever.

http://blogs.dailynews.com/outinholl...indy-birdsong/

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    By the way, did Cindy said something about Diana ? good or bad
    I don't know Cindy personally but a mutual friend keeps me up to date with her ongoing battle with ill health. Cindy always tried to distance herself from the petty squabbles that Diana and Mary engaged in., but i hope i am not speaking out of turn when i say that Diana keeps in touch with Cindy albeit privately. We all know a reunion is just not possible anymore but there is little chance of Diana and Mary kissing and making up and it is rather sad that Mary is publicly attempting to reconcile after failing with private attempts, Cindy rose above all this and is a true lady in every sense.

When you are down to doing things like this publicly, you are giving away your pride.

It's not the way to go and almost always fails, no matter who does it. It really is only done when you have nothing to lose and can't figure out anything else to do.

I'm surprised at Mary's public "actions" over the last 30 years. Doesn't it go against her training? What would Maxine Powell say?

When you are down to doing things like this publicly, you are giving away your pride.

It's not the way to go and almost always fails, no matter who does it. It really is only done when you have nothing to lose and can't figure out anything else to do.
    It is most disappointing. Diana showed great dignity in public despite being furious in private over the "dreamgirls" book. Berry was also disappointed by what he termed Mary's "betrayal" and it took him many years to forgive her. There was a time during the late 90's when they [[Diana and Mary) happened to be at the same function and a few pleasantries were exchanged. I had high hopes of something good happening out of this but sadly it was not to be. This was before the RTL fiasco. Once RTL was announced without Mary i knew there was no going back, and i felt for Cindy who would have done it without Mary.

Personally I would like to see Diana and Mary perform as a duo, revisiting their old material, but from the perspective of mature women. BTW, my few years absence from this site is due to having lost my password info. I'm back!

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    Personally I would like to see Diana and Mary perform as a duo, revisiting their old material, but from the perspective of mature women. BTW, my few years absence from this site is due to having lost my password info. I'm back!
    Welcome back! And if they were to do a reunion, which I'm not holding out hope for, then they should do it right and have ALL the Supreme's join the tour, from Diana to Susaye Green, make it a show for the people to remember.
    Last edited by RossHolloway; 07-06-2016 at 03:03 PM.

Isn't there a bigger possibility of Jean, Lynda, Scherrie & Susaye appearing with Diana for a song or two than there is of anything involving Mary with Diana or Mary with Diana and the rest of them?

RossHolloway Guest
    Isn't there a bigger possibility of Jean, Lynda, Scherrie & Susaye appearing with Diana for a song or two than there is of anything involving Mary with Diana or Mary with Diana and the rest of them?
    Diana and Mary are both great singers/entertainers, and they are also both business women, I think with the right amount of financial encouragement, it could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Diana and Mary are both great singers/entertainers, and they are also both business women, I think with the right amount of financial encouragement, it could happen.
    I doubt that. Diana does not need the money and sees little reason to bail Mary out after her betrayal. Mary on the other hand appears to need the dollars to maintain her expensive lifestyle if recent interviews are anything to go by

Yes there is jobetrob though i am pretty certain it will never happen. Jean is not interested in sharing a stage with anyone but especially not Mary. If anything did happen it would be Susaye joining the Flos. Personally i would like to see MSS reform. I know it would have limited appeal apart from the diehards but it would be a reasonable pay deal for Mary, but nowhere near what she turned down for RTL.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Yes there is jobetrob though i am pretty certain it will never happen. Jean is not interested in sharing a stage with anyone but especially not Mary. If anything did happen it would be Susaye joining the Flos. Personally i would like to see MSS reform. I know it would have limited appeal apart from the diehards but it would be a reasonable pay deal for Mary, but nowhere near what she turned down for RTL.
    Everybody has their price...

Oh yeah MSS! My fav grouping. seems they get along well enough esp Scherrie and Mary, but that is something like that would have to be planned and marketed down to the precision of a pin head. Maybe a smaller Vegas venue? I havent kept up with the demand of performers such as Patti Labelle and the number of seats they can sell. Do they have difficulty selling larger arenas or at best the 2,000 seat venues?
    Thanks

https://www.facebook.com/SupremelyYours2
    According to Steve Weaver [[who has recorded Jean a number of times), Jean is no longer performing and is waiting knee surgery.

I would go along with all of you that say none of these configurations will ever do anything - they won't even hit the stage for two songs.

As BigAl spelled out one day, even a reunion of a group of fairly original Supremes [[Diana, Mary and Cindy), if it were possible, isn't going to be as successful as Diana just sticking with her own show these days. The Supremes have been out of the public arena for too many years.

I even thought Scherrie and Susaye were going to have more shows when promoting the Partners re-release CD. I believe they just had 2 shows in LA. I thought there was mention of more shows coming. Maybe they came and went and I missed the boat?

Sadly as BigAl posted recently, there isn't much market for supremes anything anymore

As he said, the market is better for Diana. Hence why Mary may wish things had ended differently

This is one of my very favorite interview concerning the 2000 tour.
    It's quite sad to watch but Diana handles this with such class ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce3psdx1bzY