[REMOVE ADS]

Dionne Upcoming Releases

Dusty Groove shows a July 27th release date for "Heartbreaker" and "Friends in Love." Are these going to feature bonus tracks or just the same albums that we already have?

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Dusty Groove shows a July 27th release date for "Heartbreaker" and "Friends in Love." Are these going to feature bonus tracks or just the same albums that we already have?
    I believe these will just be the same albums because they're being released by Sony/Arista in Japan.

Several songs from these sessions remain in the vaults. Barry Gibb told me they recorded almost enough songs for a follow up to "heartbreaker" but when Dionne publicly stated she did not care for the album plans for a follow up came to a sudden halt. Hopefully these releases will contain some bonus tracks otherwise what is the point in re-releasing them yet again when they are already so readily available?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Several songs from these sessions remain in the vaults. Barry Gibb told me they recorded almost enough songs for a follow up to "heartbreaker" but when Dionne publicly stated she did not care for the album plans for a follow up came to a sudden halt. Hopefully these releases will contain some bonus tracks otherwise what is the point in re-releasing them yet again when they are already so readily available?
    Just looked on their website and there is no mention of any bonus tracks for either cd . What a shame. Funkytowngrooves keep promising us further expanded arista albums from Dionne so perhaps it is over to them to see if they can do any better.

Surprised she would have publicly said she did not like the album. I had never heard that before. Kind of a case of biting the hand that feeds you I would think.

Surprised she would have publicly said she did not like the album. I had never heard that before. Kind of a case of biting the hand that feeds you I would think.
    She didn't actually come straight out and say she didn't like it but admitted it was not one of her favourites. She said the same thing about "san hose" and confessed she was not the best judge of a potential hit! Barry can be overly sensitive and because he was very proud of the album the proposed 2nd album hit the skids.

From what I remember, there was an article in maybe the LA Times, that was later reprinted in Ebony magazine. Dionne talked about not liking the songs SAN JOSE and HEARTBREAKER.

She also had some unkind words for Marilyn McCoo, who had replaced her as host on SOLID GOLD, and for Tanya Tucker. Supposedly, it was Dionne not wanting to work with Tucker that contributed to her being let go from SOLID GOLD. I remember Dionne saying something like "How can I work with her when I can't stand her?"

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    From what I remember, there was an article in maybe the LA Times, that was later reprinted in Ebony magazine. Dionne talked about not liking the songs SAN JOSE and HEARTBREAKER.

She also had some unkind words for Marilyn McCoo, who had replaced her as host on SOLID GOLD, and for Tanya Tucker. Supposedly, it was Dionne not wanting to work with Tucker that contributed to her being let go from SOLID GOLD. I remember Dionne saying something like "How can I work with her when I can't stand her?"
    I love Dionne but she does have a habit of rubbing people up the wrong way. Diana Ross did not always like the stuff she recorded but you would never have known it when you saw her performing them, and she rarely ever publicly criticised her. Dionne could have learned much from her.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I love Dionne but she does have a habit of rubbing people up the wrong way. Diana Ross did not always like the stuff she recorded but you would never have known it when you saw her performing them, and she rarely ever publicly criticised her. Dionne could have learned much from her.
    I meant to say she rarely criticised her music!

Thanks for the heads up, David. Debating whether or not I should buy "Friends In Love"...it's the only one I don't have an official CD for...I know it was already released on that twofer several years ago. I was holding out for an expanded version, along with "Heartbreaker", from Funkytowngrooves.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, David. Debating whether or not I should buy "Friends In Love"...it's the only one I don't have an official CD for...I know it was already released on that twofer several years ago. I was holding out for an expanded version, along with "Heartbreaker", from Funkytowngrooves.
    They were originally scheduled for spring/summer 2015 so i can only assume they hit licensing problems. There has been no word on their website since last year so it doesn't sound like they are coming anytime soon. "friends in love" is a superb album and i would love to hear any outakes from thosesessions

I think you're right, Bluerock. They either could not license and/or do not have access to the outtakes from the sessions for the Heartbreaker album and the others. This was the same case for the Diana Ross RCA releases. BBR just reissued Heartbreaker fairly recently and Funkytowngrooves probably figured it was pointless to reissue it again if they can't include anything new.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I think you're right, Bluerock. They either could not license and/or do not have access to the outtakes from the sessions for the Heartbreaker album and the others. This was the same case for the Diana Ross RCA releases. BBR just reissued Heartbreaker fairly recently and Funkytowngrooves probably figured it was pointless to reissue it again if they can't include anything new.
    There would be little point Carlo. It is still readily available and without the bonus tracks it would be a useless waste of everyones time. One possible reason for the delay is that maybe Barry Gibb has blocked the use of the bonus material? He was greatly upset by Dionne's criticism of "heartbreaker" and their relationship has been frosty since then. I shall try to find out more...............

I hate to admit I ever watched it, but one season on "Celebrity Apprentice" Dionne was a contestant and she came across as very small minded and punitive towards the other contestants. Funny how one singer can develop a reputation as a Diva and another doesn't. I wonder how much it has to do with their actual behavior and maybe more to do with the image they develop as part of their "brand" and repertoire.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I hate to admit I ever watched it, but one season on "Celebrity Apprentice" Dionne was a contestant and she came across as very small minded and punitive towards the other contestants. Funny how one singer can develop a reputation as a Diva and another doesn't. I wonder how much it has to do with their actual behavior and maybe more to do with the image they develop as part of their "brand" and repertoire.
    Good point. I don't really know Dionne so i cannot speak from personal experience and i am so grateful for that because she is one of my musical heroes and i have had my hopes dashed several times when meeting my musical heroes. I would hate to think of Dionne in that way.