[REMOVE ADS]

David Ebo and the post-Teddy grouping of Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes

Following their split with Teddy Pendergrass, the Blue Notes added David Ebo as their lead singer and recorded four albums for ABC/Source/MCA. All of them had some very nice moments [[my favorites included Reaching For The World, After You Love Me - Why Do You Leave Me, Prayin', I Should Be Your Lover and Feels Like Magic) but none were uniformly great. A best of CD from these four albums would be nice [[especially since 1977's Now Is The Time has never been released on CD).
    Replacing Teddy Pendergrass must have been hard for David Ebo, yet he did a great job on all of his Blue Notes recordings. After he left the Blue Notes, Ebo recorded one solo album that included the hit "I'd Rather Be By Myself" [[my favorite vocal performance of his). It is a huge shame that Ebo didn't record another album after that and even sadder that he was only 43 when he died of bone cancer in 1993.

I would appreciate any remembrances folks on the board have of those Ebo fronted Blue Notes albums / his solo album as well as any Blue Notes concerts they attended while Ebo was in the group [[was he well received?). Finally, any personal encounters with David Ebo would be nice to hear about. I hope some of you share your thoughts on a talented man who was far more than just a Teddy clone.

Thanks,

Jim
    Last edited by JimBagley; 06-13-2016 at 02:12 PM.

I have the first two albums he did with Harold & the Blue Notes. IMO, "Reaching For the World" was their best album post PIR & Teddy. Harold was producing the material, and I think he overindulged in his creative freedom. Therefore, the quality of their later albums suffered. I also believe he didn't use Ebo to his full potential.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBagley View Post
    Following their split with Teddy Pendergrass, the Blue Notes added David Ebo as their lead singer and recorded four albums for ABC/Source/MCA. All of them had some very nice moments [[my favorites included Reaching For The World, After You Love Me - Why Do You Leave Me, Prayin', I Should Be Your Lover and Feels Like Magic) but none were uniformly great. A best of CD from these four albums would be nice [[especially since 1977's Now Is The Time has never been released on CD).
    Replacing Teddy Pendergrass must have been hard for David Ebo, yet he did a great job on all of his Blue Notes recordings. After he left the Blue Notes, Ebo recorded one solo album that included the hit "I'd Rather Be By Myself" [[my favorite vocal performance of his). It is a huge shame that Ebo didn't record another album after that and even sadder that he was only 43 when he died of bone cancer in 1993.

I would appreciate any remembrances folks on the board have of those Ebo fronted Blue Notes albums / his solo album as well as any Blue Notes concerts they attended while Ebo was in the group [[was he well received?). Finally, any personal encounters with David Ebo would be nice to hear about. I hope some of you share your thoughts on a talented man who was far more than just a Teddy clone.

Thanks,

Jim
    I rated this line up. I bought "rftw" and "nitt" when they originally came out and found them to be highly enjoyable. David Ebo did a mighty fine job with the vocals , and whilst the albums were not perfect they were [[and remain) highly listenable albums Harold told me in the late 80's that this was his favourite Bluenotes line up and i can see his point, though no-one could replace Teddy in my opinion. I would love to see "nitt" on cd as it is the only Bluenotes album i do not own on cd. It is probably my favourite of the four. Good topic Jim and i shall come to it. All the best to you.

Here is a clip of David Ebo on the Philadelphia after school dance show Dancin' On Air in 1986. This song "I'd Rather Be By Myself" was very popular on the radio in Philadelphia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAldCtnpNfI

I remember David Ebo performing solo on the local Detroit television program "The Scene".

Just following up on my first post. Hoping some more SDF members have thoughts on the David Ebo-led Blue Notes albums [[Reaching For The World, 1977; Now Is The Time, 1977; The Blue Album, 1980; All Things Happen In Time, 1981) and/or some of the singles/tracks on those albums. Also, David Ebo's lone solo album I'd Rather Be By Myself from 1986.

Did anyone see/hear the Blue Notes in concert when David Ebo was in the group or subsequently when he performed as a solo artist? Aside from his early death due to cancer, there is almost no information on Ebo on the internet. Thanks again. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JimBagley View Post
    Just following up on my first post. Hoping some more SDF members have thoughts on the David Ebo-led Blue Notes albums [[Reaching For The World, 1977; Now Is The Time, 1977; The Blue Album, 1980; All Things Happen In Time, 1981) and/or some of the singles/tracks on those albums. Also, David Ebo's lone solo album I'd Rather Be By Myself from 1986.

Did anyone see/hear the Blue Notes in concert when David Ebo was in the group or subsequently when he performed as a solo artist? Aside from his early death due to cancer, there is almost no information on Ebo on the internet. Thanks again. Jim
    I never saw David Ebo in concert. The first time I remember seeing him was an episode on a tv series taped at the Apollo in NYC that Westinghouse stations used to broadcast. I believe he had just joined the group. He might not have had any records with the group yet, as I remember him singing songs that were originally led by Teddy. But I remember Harold Melvin introducing him and him getting a big response from the audience.
    Last edited by reese; 07-14-2016 at 09:23 AM.

"Reaching For The World" album is for me and for different reasons a GREAT album. There's the fantastic and incredible voice by Sharon Paige in various tracks, some good solos by Harold Melvin and David Ebo shows a variety of registers as baritone and lead, with avery deep style [[at the end of "Big Singing Star"),... dramatic and mellow moments as the piano intro on "Where There's a Will There's A Way"... and the title track [[that was wrote by Derek Boyd from the duo Derek & Cyndi of "You Bring Out The Best In Me"). Much after I found "Now Is The Time" on vynil that deceived me except for "Magic" and "Prayin'" and a rare compilation of hits with P.I.R. years tracks re-recorded without Teddy and practically ALL the track-list from "The Blue Album".

Cheers

It took me years to find Ebo's solo album and 12 inch. Got them both finally for $1 each. Well worth the wait and both were priceless to me. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post
    It took me years to find Ebo's solo album and 12 inch. Got them both finally for $1 each. Well worth the wait and both were priceless to me. RIP.
    Do you have favorite tracks on Ebo's solo album? My favorites are I'd Rather Be By Myself, Count The Tears, and Always And Forever.