[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    RossHolloway Guest
    Does anyone know if the group continued to record after the release of their last album, Mary, Scherrie and Susaye? Or what the last song they recorded together as a group?

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    It was indeed a very very poor choice for a lead single Bluebrock. As you say there were so many much stronger songs on the album. Bad single choices killed the album which is a great shame as there was potential there. It was great that the group had three lead singers. I wish they could have recorded a least one more album together.
    Me too Ollie.

I think all the songs from MSS were released. I don't think there are any other tracks left except Jean led tracks

I think the dance moves, when properly executed, worked. Problem is they were sloppy. the actual planned choreography for Let Yourself Go works very well. but you mary making mistakes, Susaye not knowing what they were doing at the end and having to keep looking over, etc. For this type of dancing to work, you have to be 100% in sync and hitting your mark.

As for It's All Been Said Before, i've not heard that story before about Mike Curb. very interesting and certainly a possibility. The story i've heard is that Mary and Pedro vetoed IABSB because it's a full Scherrie lead and they insisted on either a Mary lead or co-lead. Motown was wanting Scherrie

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I think all the songs from MSS were released. I don't think there are any other tracks left except Jean led tracks
    There may be a couple more alternate versions still in the vaults from the Scherrie years but very little from what I am told. However there remains many Jean led songs gathering dust in the vault which need to be released. Hopefully that much promised lost and found double cd will one day emerge.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    There may be a couple more alternate versions still in the vaults from the Scherrie years but very little from what I am told. However there remains many Jean led songs gathering dust in the vault which need to be released. Hopefully that much promised lost and found double cd will one day emerge.
    Lost and Found or Expanded Editions.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    I meant lost and found Ross but I would hardly object if the unreleased tracks arrived on expanded editions. To quote Brenda Russell and Oleta Adams "i don't care how you get here, get here if you can".

I had asked Andy somewhere [[either here or FB) about the various versions of I'm Gonna Let My Heart. There's a version that the girls used on Soul Train and Amer Bandstand that's not been released. he said that they had looked into it but then discovered Susaye's amazing version so included it instead. apparently there are quite a few mixes of Walking that could be included in future releases.

Wonder if there's enough to do a "Sups" dance mixes release - group and solo. so are there additional dance mix versions of Diana songs from Ross or Boss? 12" version of Red Hot? more unreleased Sup dance tracks? Scherrie songs like Fly or others?

speaking of wrong 1st singles "Red Hot" was so wrong for Miss Wilson.. "I Love A Warm Summer Night" was such a perfect fit for her, custom made.."Red Hot' was too, for lack of a better word, goofy, she didn't sound at home with it.. there were quite a few good singles choices on that album but "Red Hot' wasn't one of them

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    speaking of wrong 1st singles "Red Hot" was so wrong for Miss Wilson.. "I Love A Warm Summer Night" was such a perfect fit for her, custom made.."Red Hot' was too, for lack of a better word, goofy, she didn't sound at home with it.. there were quite a few good singles choices on that album but "Red Hot' wasn't one of them
    I thought Mary's album was a stinker with just a couple of decent songs ILAWSN being one of them and "your the light that guides my way~ being the other. Mary's vocals were not good though i do believe she was pregnant whilst recording the album so that could account for that. I think Motown treated her shabbily. Give her a lousy selection of songs, fail to promote it and then drop her like a lead balloon. Mission accomplished. She deserved better than that.

agreed..lots of wrong moves all along the way, sad to say..

Red Hot seems more like a novelty song IMO. unless you're Weird Al or something, having your solo debut being something of a throwaway doesn't seem to strike me as solid career planning. But I think it was clear that the recording deal was simply part of Motown's plan to get her to throw out her law suit.

The 4 Gus Dungeon tracks are far superior to anything on that debut album

Another issue with the MSC and MSS lineups and discos. the wardrobe selections were not wise selections. Long flowing chiffon gowns [[like the green ones or the ones they wore on Tonight Show and He's My Man) are not the right design for elaborate dance moves. Those black and silver sequin 'Jesus Robes' were terrible. not good to dance in, Mary's had about 50 yards of excess material in the sleeves, Susaye looked about 3" tall in hers. The red sequin wrap gowns were much more contemporary, and suited to dancing. some of the others that MSS wore [[the brown stripped ones in the High Energy vids or the fringe Udo Live ones) were better

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Since we can't even get a "Deluxe Edition" for "Supremes A Go-Go" on it's 50th Anniversary, I wouldn't count on any more "Lost & Found/Deluxe Editions" for The '70s Supremes.

A GO GO is a go go but there were waiting on studio time to finish the album

[QUOTE=Motown Eddie;342171]Since we can't even get a "Deluxe Edition" for "Supremes A Go-Go" on it's 50th Anniversary, I wouldn't count on any more "Lost & Found/Deluxe Editions" for The '70s Supremes.[/QUOTE

Never say never Eddie. I am not saying they are imminent but they could well appear some day.

Surprised what's missing in my life wasn't a single
    It was the B side of "You're My Driving Wheel".

Give her a lousy selection of songs, fail to promote it and then drop her like a lead balloon. Mission accomplished. She deserved better than that.
    I agree with the sentiment; Motown gave MW a contract to "shut her up". Once the LP was released, they fulfilled their obligation and cut her loose. She should have settled for a MULTI-record deal. Coulda, shoulda.

I am surprised though, with Hal Davis producing, that the record didn't fare better. Hal had a lot of success in the 70's with the Jackson 5. I can't believe he would intentionally release a subpar product.

Someone said above that "Red Hot" was more of a novelty song. I tend to agree, with all that screeching and woo-hoos. Mary couldn't have been serious.

And can we just talk for a second on how the 45 referenced Mary "Martin". LOL. Tell me THAT was unintentional.

One more thought:

When I listen to "MSS", I hear magic.

But when I've seen clips of them singing these songs live, for example "IGLMHDTW" from the Mike Douglas Show, it comes across as a HOT MESS. Mary trying to keep up with Scherrie; Susaye blowing both out of the water. For starters, Mary and Susaye's mics are turned up WAY too high. And Mary looks like an glamazon towering over her group mates. The best part is the audience. They are dumbfounded.

I guess it's hard to recreate live what you create in the studio. And I doubt appearances like this did little to boost sales.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    One more thought:

But when I've seen clips of them singing these songs live, for example "IGLMHDTW" from the Mike Douglas Show, it comes across as a HOT MESS. Mary trying to keep up with Scherrie; Susaye blowing both out of the water. For starters, Mary and Susaye's mics are turned up WAY too high. And Mary looks like an glamazon towering over her group mates. The best part is the audience. They are dumbfounded.

I guess it's hard to recreate live what you create in the studio. And I doubt appearances like this did little to boost sales.

MaryB, you really hit the nail on the head. It's just a big...mess. Visually, Mary should have been where Susaye was, Susaye should have been where Scherrie was, and Scherrie should have been in the middle. Maybe Mary had Scherrie's mic? The vocal runs and the choreography is frenetic. The music [[whether a live house band or a pre-recorded track) is just a tad too low in volume.

The interview is fun, but Mary comes across as very...controlling. What was behind Mary's comment about Susaye [[not) getting rich off of her songs on Stevie Wonder's latest album? It was "funny"--it seemed more catty. I love Mary Wilson, but it's clear things were slightly strained in the group at that point. Vocally, in the studio, they sounded terrific...but live, such as on this Mike Douglas appearance, their blend was off, their mics not adjusted to their best advantages. Sigh.

Hasn't it been said that Mary and/or Pedro did not want It's All Been Said Before to be the single........so it was cancelled? A terrible decision.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    MaryB, you really hit the nail on the head. It's just a big...mess. Visually, Mary should have been where Susaye was, Susaye should have been where Scherrie was, and Scherrie should have been in the middle. Maybe Mary had Scherrie's mic? The vocal runs and the choreography is frenetic. The music [[whether a live house band or a pre-recorded track) is just a tad too low in volume.

The interview is fun, but Mary comes across as very...controlling. What was behind Mary's comment about Susaye [[not) getting rich off of her songs on Stevie Wonder's latest album? It was "funny"--it seemed more catty. I love Mary Wilson, but it's clear things were slightly strained in the group at that point. Vocally, in the studio, they sounded terrific...but live, such as on this Mike Douglas appearance, their blend was off, their mics not adjusted to their best advantages. Sigh.
    danman-

I agree with your assessment of Mary "taking over" this interview. There are several instances you can find on YouTube where Mary acts similar. It's interesting that Mary would talk about Diana doing the same exact thing in "Dreamgirl". The only difference, I think, is that Mary wants to make sure that the audience knows this is HER group, meaning, with the "revolving door" of members, SHE is the original. In fact, many of these interviews start out with a nod that she's been there the longest.

I think what is interesting too is many have said that the 70's Supremes, especially by the MSS years, weren't promoted. From what I can tell, the Mike Douglas Show [[where they appeared several times) was a pretty big show. In fact, it won Emmy's in 1977 and 1978. The only difference I see is that, what Ed Sullivan did for the 60's Supremes, Mike COULDN'T do for the 70's Supremes, simply because it was a DAYTIME show. One could surmise that the viewing audience was seniors and housewives; hardly the "record buying public".

I think I remember reading old posts where someone said Cindy mentioned how challenging it was for them to do Stoned Love live. And listen to MJC doing Nathan Jones on Tonight Show - the band is ghastly, although the girls vocals are strong.

By the 70s, the Sup songs were heavily produced and so there's no way to approximate that sound live. multiple layers of vocals, heavy orchestration, etc.

but even with that, I think they could have done more to approximate the sound. On that same Mike Douglas they do Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You. The blend is much better and it's one of Mary's best live vocal performances of the era.

Also my understanding is that by the Scherrie years, Mary or Mary/Pedro were the primary decision makers for the group. Interviews were lead by her, decisions on gowns and song lineups for the show, etc. Although it was a group in that there were 3 vocalists, in regards to the strategic direction it appears primarily to be Mary.

One more thought:

Appearances like this one on "The Mike Douglas Show" didn't do much to help boost sales. Indeed while the vocal talent of the group is there, the frantic dance moves, the way that Mary towers over the other Supremes and the interview [[which shows some of the friction within The Supremes) doesn't do them any favors.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Hasn't it been said that Mary and/or Pedro did not want It's All Been Said Before to be the single........so it was cancelled? A terrible decision.
    Didn't even hear "It's All Been Said Before" until the CD version of DRATS' "Anthology" in 1987 and always felt that it was just another 'missed opportunity' by Motown. If it's true that Mary and/or Pedro nixed the release of the song as a single then it's their loss. And while "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking" was a good foray into '70s Disco, more songs like "It's All Been Said Before" [[with it's 'top 40' feel) might have been the better choice for a single.
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 07-29-2016 at 06:49 PM. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Red Hot seems more like a novelty song IMO. unless you're Weird Al or something, having your solo debut being something of a throwaway doesn't seem to strike me as solid career planning. But I think it was clear that the recording deal was simply part of Motown's plan to get her to throw out her law suit.

The 4 Gus Dungeon tracks are far superior to anything on that debut album
    I loved "Red Hot" the single ,album and 12" versions. Mary Wilson does "James Brown"! He got play in the clubs and on the radio in select cities. I also like with Donald Bumps did with this remix:

didn't like Red Hot. thought the lp was a mess except for Warm Summer Nights and Pick Up The Pieces. they were right on for her voice. there is a single mix of Red Hot that I think is better.
    iliked the 70s supremes , there were times when they were great and times when.....not so great . 'BG offered to manage the group ,once with Jean and then when HIgh Energy was doing well he offered again. MW turned him down but complained Motown wasn't helping them. MW turned down Mike Curb because she felt the songs weren't right for the supremes. hmmm I see a pattern. if you want good management,dont turn down the owner if he offers to help and if you want a pop hit , you have to sing pop songs, not disco.
    sorry , I think MW killed the supremes along with her husband. I think she stated when turning BG down.....:I don't want to loose control again" but what difference did it make when she was going solo anyway.just my opinion

danman-

I agree with your assessment of Mary "taking over" this interview. There are several instances you can find on YouTube where Mary acts similar. It's interesting that Mary would talk about Diana doing the same exact thing in "Dreamgirl". The only difference, I think, is that Mary wants to make sure that the audience knows this is HER group, meaning, with the "revolving door" of members, SHE is the original. In fact, many of these interviews start out with a nod that she's been there the longest.

I think what is interesting too is many have said that the 70's Supremes, especially by the MSS years, weren't promoted. From what I can tell, the Mike Douglas Show [[where they appeared several times) was a pretty big show. In fact, it won Emmy's in 1977 and 1978. The only difference I see is that, what Ed Sullivan did for the 60's Supremes, Mike COULDN'T do for the 70's Supremes, simply because it was a DAYTIME show. One could surmise that the viewing audience was seniors and housewives; hardly the "record buying public".
    i Prefered to listen to this line up of the group rather than watch them. Mary demanded centre stage which you cannot really blame her for because she was the only original member, but she both Scherrie and Susaye had more natural talent than Mary and both she and they knew it. This line up was never going to last long just as the JMC or JML versions weren't. It is a pity they couldn't have got along better because they could produce magic in the studio.

didn't like Red Hot. thought the lp was a mess except for Warm Summer Nights and Pick Up The Pieces. they were right on for her voice. there is a single mix of Red Hot that I think is better.
    iliked the 70s supremes , there were times when they were great and times when.....not so great . 'BG offered to manage the group ,once with Jean and then when HIgh Energy was doing well he offered again. MW turned him down but complained Motown wasn't helping them. MW turned down Mike Curb because she felt the songs weren't right for the supremes. hmmm I see a pattern. if you want good management,dont turn down the owner if he offers to help and if you want a pop hit , you have to sing pop songs, not disco.
    sorry , I think MW killed the supremes along with her husband. I think she stated when turning BG down.....:I don't want to loose control again" but what difference did it make when she was going solo anyway.just my opinion
    I agree david. Mary wanted too much control and along with said husband made some shocking decisions. She alienated herself and as a result the group was thought to be too much trouble to continue with. Harsh words maybe but many insiders have told me a similar story. Sad. Very sad.

I do think that she , as the last original member deserved her props but, I think she felt she was in the same league as Diana, and as a result, she has caused some issues. she obviously was not, although she has turned out to be a fine entertainer and proven herself over the years.
    it seemed funny to me she she complained how Motown treated her and Flo but then she treated the other supremes ladies, including Cindy exactly the same way.?? she stood by why her husband fired Cindy?? strange to me. but yet Cindy was the one who always came back to help her.
    I do think the ladies had great harmony but ,in my opinion, they suffered from poor single choices and poor management.
    they needed BG back in control and not MW. she couldn't pick a hit single if her career depended on it. and it did

theres alot here but ill just throw my 2 cents into this. Vocally it just sounded like they were competing for the lead. Visually, they shouldve gotten rid of the 60's gown by this point. but i can understand that they still wore the gowns, if they ditched them and went for something more plainer or simplier, i think we as fans were complain that they ditched the gowns. I understand why Mary didnt want motown to manage the group again. if they did then Scherrie would be doing all of the leads and Mary would be back in the same position as if Diana was still there. We can speculate what was really going on and we can hear stories of those who saw certain things. but unless we were there on the daily, we will never fully know what was going on

You are wrong! Mary Wilson and her husband, Pedro Ferrer were the only ones that kept the Supremes going for as long as they did. They invested their own money. They hired Geoffrey Holder and Maria de Lavalade [[sp?) to revamp their act. They had Teddy Harris Jr as their musical conductor. You don't know what you are talking about. Why believe Berry all of a sudden when he flat out said that he washed his hands of the group and then went on to prove it by short changing EVERYONE at Motown with the exception of Diane Ross! You need to stop.

I do think that she , as the last original member deserved her props but, I think she felt she was in the same league as Diana, and as a result, she has caused some issues. she obviously was not, although she has turned out to be a fine entertainer and proven herself over the years.
    it seemed funny to me she she complained how Motown treated her and Flo but then she treated the other supremes ladies, including Cindy exactly the same way.?? she stood by why her husband fired Cindy?? strange to me. but yet Cindy was the one who always came back to help her.
    I do think the ladies had great harmony but ,in my opinion, they suffered from poor single choices and poor management.
    they needed BG back in control and not MW. she couldn't pick a hit single if her career depended on it. and it did
    In Marys defense daviddh she was frightened of the man she married and was probably real scared to defend Cindy. Beaten women are very very frightened and feel trapped. Pedro Ferrer beat Miss Wilson to a pulp which he will have to answer for one day. He and ike Turner and every other man that beats a woman are the lowest of the low. May God forgive all of them for there cowardly and vile behavior.

Roberta

Marv.sorry I disagree.perhaps Mary kept it going but not well in my opinion .
    Their last album was vocally wonderful.the ladies were talented but only I'm Gonna Let My Heart was close to be a hit.tremendous return to form but they didn't..couldn't keep it going

Marv, I think you may be referring to Carmen de Lavallade, Mr. Holder's widow.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Marv, I think you may be referring to Carmen de Lavallade, Mr. Holder's widow.

Yes, that's her, the beautiful and very talented Carmen de Lavallade! Thank you Sansradio.

Marv.sorry I disagree.perhaps Mary kept it going but not well in my opinion .
    Their last album was vocally wonderful.the ladies were talented but only I'm Gonna Let My Heart was close to be a hit.tremendous return to form but they didn't..couldn't keep it going
    Just as we must give Holland-Dozier-Holland a lot of credit for the Original Supremes success, we must also give them their share of credit for the Supremes final recordings. Brian Holland and Edward Holland produced that last album, "Mary, Scherrie & Susaye". .

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yes, that's her, the beautiful and very talented Carmen de Lavallade! Thank you Sansradio.
    Not only is she beautiful and talented, she is also the most down-to-earth, gracious, and elegant celebrity I've ever had the pleasure to meet. I ran into her outside my old job; she struck up a conversation with me, and I turned to jelly. Mr. Holder was also incredibly friendly and warm. They don't make them like those two anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You are wrong! Mary Wilson and her husband, Pedro Ferrer were the only ones that kept the Supremes going for as long as they did. They invested their own money. They hired Geoffrey Holder and Maria de Lavalade [[sp?) to revamp their act. They had Teddy Harris Jr as their musical conductor. You don't know what you are talking about. Why believe Berry all of a sudden when he flat out said that he washed his hands of the group and then went on to prove it by short changing EVERYONE at Motown with the exception of Diane Ross! You need to stop.
    We are all more than aware on this forum that you think Mary Wilson practically walks on water. Well sadly she doesn't, and neither does anyone else. Mary Wilson has her faults just like the rest of us, and she made some dreadful decisions with that vile creature Pedro who as Roberta rightly says beat her black and blue.
    Both Mary and Pedro made themselves hugely unpopular with the wrong people at Motown. It was decided the Supremes were a problem they just did not need anymore and Berry wanted rid of them. He did it with the minimum of effort and Mary played right into his hands.
    Mary deserves credit for her attempts to keep the group afloat but the damage had already been done and there was no way back once you had pissed off the executives at Motown.
    Also Daviddh is entitled to express an opinion just as you and 1 are so you telling him "you need to stop" is not big and it is not clever.
    You and i dislike each other but let us keep it all respectful and let all members who wish to contribute do so without us resorting to intimidating words. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    In Marys defense daviddh she was frightened of the man she married and was probably real scared to defend Cindy. Beaten women are very very frightened and feel trapped. Pedro Ferrer beat Miss Wilson to a pulp which he will have to answer for one day. He and ike Turner and every other man that beats a woman are the lowest of the low. May God forgive all of them for there cowardly and vile behavior.

Roberta
    Yes he will indeed answer to his dreadful behaviour one day Roberta. To beat a woman is beneath contempt and Mary must have been in an awful position at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Not only is she beautiful and talented, she is also the most down-to-earth, gracious, and elegant celebrity I've ever had the pleasure to meet. I ran into her outside my old job; she struck up a conversation with me, and I turned to jelly. Mr. Holder was also incredibly friendly and warm. They don't make them like those two anymore.
    You are a lucky one. I had always wanted to meet her from the first time I saw her in an old Ebony Magazine.

honest man Guest
    We are all more than aware on this forum that you think Mary Wilson practically walks on water. Well sadly she doesn't, and neither does anyone else. Mary Wilson has her faults just like the rest of us, and she made some dreadful decisions with that vile creature Pedro who as Roberta rightly says beat her black and blue.
    Both Mary and Pedro made themselves hugely unpopular with the wrong people at Motown. It was decided the Supremes were a problem they just did not need anymore and Berry wanted rid of them. He did it with the minimum of effort and Mary played right into his hands.
    Mary deserves credit for her attempts to keep the group afloat but the damage had already been done and there was no way back once you had pissed off the executives at Motown.
    Also Daviddh is entitled to express an opinion just as you and 1 are so you telling him "you need to stop" is not big and it is not clever.
    You and i dislike each other but let us keep it all respectful and let all members who wish to contribute do so without us resorting to intimidating words. Thank you.
    You Are so right mate.But watch what you say as things are known to get switched around on here.cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    You Are so right mate.But watch what you say as things are known to get switched around on here.cheers.
    Oh don't i know it!! Thank you anyway honest man.

The last three albums were really good vocally and no Andantees!! The ladies were really getting stronger as a unit and Mary was getting stronger as well. She had tremendous growth during this time

The last three albums were really good vocally and no Andantees!! The ladies were really getting stronger as a unit and Mary was getting stronger as well. She had tremendous growth during this time
    Yes she did. Who knows what night have happened had the group been allowed to record a couple more albums, but as we know there was far too much friction within the group and towards Motown records as well. Something had to give and sadly it was the Supremes.

I've been enjoying the Scherrie-led "You're What's Missing In My Life" lately. Was it standard procedure to record Scherrie leads for the [[eventual) Mary tracks, or is that track one of few examples? I'd love to hear a Scherrie version of "Early Morning Love".

Sometimes it was to test the vocals..best vocal got it and sometimes they may have been planned as a duet. The song Touch was recorded with each lady singing lead ,then the song was split into a duet.same with Diana and marvin

To bad Mary doesn't plan a reunion with these ladies now. I think they would Rock it