[REMOVE ADS]

33rpm 7" jukebox singles

Back in 1961, the big jukebox makers were pushing all record labels to release 7" jukebox singles that played at 33+rpm .... most / many of these being linked to an artists latest LP release, containing 4 tracks off that LP and put out in a picture card cover.
    The ad is from 1961 and shows at least 40 labels were going with the trend back then. BUT this was too early for Motown to get involved.
    My question is ... did Motown ever follow this practise and put out any of these 7" 33rpm singles ???
    I'd guess the likes of Marv Johnson would have had a couple of such releases but they would have come about during his tenure with UA up to 1963 ...Attachment 11410
    Last edited by jsmith; 06-10-2016 at 12:21 PM.

I believe they did. I have a jukebox version of Diana Ross' EVERYTHING IS EVERYTHING.

I'm sure I've seen a list somewhere. All I've got to do is remember where.

I have a juke box version of "Supremes A' Go-Go" MT60649. Five songs.

In the discography of J. Randy's first book on Diana, he lists a lot of early Supremes albums as having jukebox versions.

I have a jukebox version of The Miracles Greatest Hits From the Beginning. It contains six selections.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I'm sure I've seen a list somewhere. All I've got to do is remember where.
    Reginald Bartlette's "Off The Record" lists as many as 36 Motown Jukebox singles between 1963 and 1971.

I currently have 18 different "Little LP's" as they were called in my collection, and I know of many more titles I do not have, yet! Most date from 1965 and 1966, although as mentioned there are some Motown titles available that go up to the early 70's. The "newest" in my collection would be Diana Ross' "Everything is Everything", and I know of a couple others available from the same time period from the Jackson 5 and the Tops/Supremes. I would say the most obscure release I currently have from this series would be Billy Eckstine's "The Prime of my Life". I doubt it saw much play in jukeboxes at the time!
    Darin
    Last edited by DWSheffer; 06-18-2016 at 09:36 AM.

Here is a photo of the titles I currently have from this series of records. I've also shown a close up of what came with the records for jukebox use. The records came sealed in a bag, with a set of title strips, as well as mini LP covers to insert in a photo holder that were in the tops of some jukeboxes. I have an old Seeburg from 1962 that has the cover photo holders. The cover art is the same as the full size LP, with the 6 song titles included on the mini version.
    Darin

Name:  Little LP Group.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  99.7 KBName:  Little LP Closeup.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  100.0 KB

I forgot to include the Ross Little LP in the group photo. The later versions [[1970/71) are different than the above ones in the fact that they just came in a thick paper sleeve, not a cardboard cover like the earlier ones.
    Darin

Name:  Ross LLP.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  98.6 KB

Ive got a few....Collection of 16 Original Big HIts..a Supremes/4 Tops Mag 7...but I do have a UA one for Marv Johnson...bright red cover. Not at home at present I know it contains Don't Leave Me in the version that has a bad edit.

Thanks JSmith, Darin and theboyfromxtown, for an informative thread. Great information.
    Lorne

Thanks for all the replies [[& pictures).

I`d be very grateful if anybody could advise which cover the "Jimmy Ruffin Sings Top 10"
    7 " jukebox Ep. has. Is it the Sepia or the Red Jacket?

Clean forgot I have this, surfaced again yesterday - never even been opened I believe.

I can see you're all dying to get one!

VIP60402
    We're Off To Dublin In The Green
    The Abbey Tavern Singers
    VIP [[Motown) Juke Box EP

Tracks
    Mick Maguire
    Twenty Men From Dublin Town
    The Captain Of The Gallant Forty Twa
    Whack Fol Diddle Dee
    The Orange And The Green

Attachment 11589

Didn't Diana Ross & The Supremes cover "Whack Fol Diddle Dee"?

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Didn't Diana Ross & The Supremes cover "Whack Fol Diddle Dee"?

LOL

It's sounds more like something Lavern Baker ought to have recorded

Clean forgot I have this, surfaced again yesterday - never even been opened I believe.

I can see you're all dying to get one!

VIP60402
    The Abbey Tavern Singers
    VIP [[Motown) Juke Box EP

Tracks
    Mick Maguire
    Twenty Men From Dublin Town
    The Captain Of The Gallant Forty Twa
    Whack Fol Diddle Dee
    The Orange And The Green

Attachment 11589
    I would trade my entire collection just to touch this item! Oh yeah!

Mysterysinger, in my 52 years of collecting Motown, I have never come across a copy of The Abbey Tavern Singers V.I.P. album. In the elusive Motown department, it ranks right up there with the Steppin' Fetchit and Willie Tyler & Lester albums. How did you ever find a sealed copy of it? - Gary

The search may be over!

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Mysterysinger, in my 52 years of collecting Motown, I have never come across a copy of The Abbey Tavern Singers V.I.P. album. In the elusive Motown department, it ranks right up there with the Steppin' Fetchit and Willie Tyler & Lester albums. How did you ever find a sealed copy of it? - Gary
    Hi Gary, take a look at what's currently on offer on Discogs:

The Abbey Tavern release on V.I.P. [[VS 402)
    https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/4022249?ev=rb

and on the same website, here's two copies of the Willie Tyler and Lester Tamla album "Hello Dummy" Tamla [[T265).
    https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/8282506?ev=rb

Now you may not be aware, but the Stepin' Fetchit album "My Son the Sit-In" scheduled for Motown [[MT-619) was never released, which will go a long way to explain why you've never seen a copy. However, you can see the cover artwork for the intended album on some of the early Motown company album inner sleeves, so clearly the release was pulled at the last moment. Anyway the above two entries may end your search for these "elusive" available albums.
    Last edited by motownjohnny; 08-11-2016 at 03:11 AM.

Thanks, motownjohnny! I just ordered the NM [[Mint Minus) copy of Willie Tyler & Lester! This is the first time I've ever seen as much as a photo of this super-rare Tamla album. [[I'll hold off on the Abbey Tavern Singers LP until I can find at least a NM copy. Rare as it is, the scratches on the VG+ copies would bug me every time I look at it!) Thanks again for the tip!

Gary

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  21.1 KB
    I've never seen The Willie Tyler & Lester in all my years looking in Detroit, and being inside Motown. I had seen both the LP and EP of The abbey Tavern Singers. I never saw a couple of the Workshop Jazz advertised LPs.

Hi Gary!

Excellent news to hear that at least one of your elusive albums will soon be on its way to you and I'm glad to have been of help.

Keep checking on the Discogs website for the Abbey Tavern Singers and I expect it won't take too long for you to procure a decent N.M. copy. I have to confess that while I own copies of each of these I've yet to listen to them. Oh well, maybe one day I'll get around to that, [[maybe) LOL.

Robb, now you do surprise me with the comment re the Willie Tyler and Lester album. Over the years I've seen several copies for sale so I didn't appreciate just how hard to get it appears to be.

The Abbey Tavern Singers album was released on several different labels so it's not too hard to track down, unless you really want a copy on V.I.P.

You're right about some of the Workshop Jazz albums, like "Detroit Jazz" by Paula Greer and Johnny Griffith Trio scheduled as WSJ 204, "The Soul and Sound of Herbie Williams" [[WSJ 216) and best known of all these non-releases "Breaking Through" by Four Tops [[WSJ 217), tracks from which were released several decades later on the "Motown's Lost and Found Breaking Through" CD.

All of these albums got as far as having artwork commissioned and produced and the tracks recorded, but I suspect they, like the Steppin' Fetchit album, failed to see release because by 1963/4 Berry Gordy decided the market for jazz just was no longer strong enough to merit that.

Thanks, motownjohnny! I just ordered the NM [[Mint Minus) copy of Willie Tyler & Lester! This is the first time I've ever seen as much as a photo of this super-rare Tamla album. [[I'll hold off on the Abbey Tavern Singers LP until I can find at least a NM copy. Rare as it is, the scratches on the VG+ copies would bug me every time I look at it!) Thanks again for the tip!

Gary

Be prepared Gary, the entire Willie Tyler LP clocks in just under 20 minutes.

JR

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    Be prepared Gary, the entire Willie Tyler LP clocks in just under 20 minutes.

JR
    Johnny, I think you're referring to an auction. I bought my copy outright.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by motownjohnny View Post
    Hi Gary!

Excellent news to hear that at least one of your elusive albums will soon be on its way to you and I'm glad to have been of help.

Keep checking on the Discogs website for the Abbey Tavern Singers and I expect it won't take too long for you to procure a decent N.M. copy. I have to confess that while I own copies of each of these I've yet to listen to them. Oh well, maybe one day I'll get around to that, [[maybe) LOL.
    I hear ya, Johnny! I've heard a track or two from each and they were pretty awful! Not exactly "The Motown Sound"!

Gary

Johnny, I think you're referring to an auction. I bought my copy outright.

Gary
    No, I mean that the length of the LP [[both sides together) is only 20 minutes long ... or short, as it were.

No, I mean that the length of the LP [[both sides together) is only 20 minutes long ... or short, as it were.
    Oh, okay, I got ya now. Jeez -- that's more like an EP [[7" Extended Play)!

I know. I just didn't want you to be surprised when you get it. On the discog's website, it shows that there are a lot of tracks [[41 in all). Of course, if you notice, there are no times next to each track. It's still nice to have in your collection though.

Ebay has a lot to answer for - the Abbey Tavern Singers on VIP I have unopened in both LP and EP form but also have a used and played version of the album so have heard it lol. What use is unopened vinyl you might ask [[as I also do) but I just can't bring myself to unwrap them. Have a few CDs like that too.

Gary [[and others) - sounds like you may not have heard of BSN Pubs website where there are pics of the Motown albums with pages dedicated to each label including labels like Workshop Jazz [[includes variations too). Here is a link - enjoy!
    http://www.bsnpubs.com/motown/motownstory.html
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 08-11-2016 at 08:06 AM.

I bought the Willie Tyler & Lester album and found it quite funny, and the duet[?] on "Fever" reveals Willie to have a reasonable singing voice.

I have seen the Abbey Tavern Singers a couple of times at UK record fairs for around £30, but have never bought it as traditional songs recorded live in Dublin do not really appeal to me.

Another album to be avoided is Red Jones Steeerikes back, a collection of baseball anecdotes.

I know. I just didn't want you to be surprised when you get it. On the discog's website, it shows that there are a lot of tracks [[41 in all). Of course, if you notice, there are no times next to each track. It's still nice to have in your collection though.
    Thanks for the warning, JR. Given such a short playing time, the close-out grooves on each side of the vinyl must be wider than the actual playing area! Either way, after all these years, I'll still be glad to finally have it in my CD collection [[after dubbing it). Thanks again for steering me in the right direction.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 08-11-2016 at 03:51 PM.

Ebay has a lot to answer for - the Abbey Tavern Singers on VIP I have unopened in both LP and EP form but also have a used and played version of the album so have heard it lol. What use is unopened vinyl you might ask [[as I also do) but I just can't bring myself to unwrap them. Have a few CDs like that too.

Gary [[and others) - sounds like you may not have heard of BSN Pubs website where there are pics of the Motown albums with pages dedicated to each label including labels like Workshop Jazz [[includes variations too). Here is a link - enjoy!
    http://www.bsnpubs.com/motown/motownstory.html
    Mysterysinger, I do indeed have that amazing online Motown discography. I saved it to my online "Favorites" when the subject came up here on the Motown Forum a year or two ago; I just haven't looked at it in a while. But thanks just the same!

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I bought the Willie Tyler & Lester album and found it quite funny, and the duet[?] on "Fever" reveals Willie to have a reasonable singing voice.

I have seen the Abbey Tavern Singers a couple of times at UK record fairs for around £30, but have never bought it as traditional songs recorded live in Dublin do not really appeal to me.

Another album to be avoided is Red Jones Steeerikes back, a collection of baseball anecdotes.
    Red Jones' "Steeerikes Back"! God, 144man, isn't that thing awful! Mrs. Bertha Gordy, Sr., [[bless her heart) gave me a copy of that album the day I had cocktails with her during my October 1971 tour of Motown. Actually, she offered me whatever I wanted out of a huge pile of new Motown album releases. Being the Motown fan that I am, I had already purchased most of them on my own. I graciously accepted "Steeerikes Back", however, as well as a few other rare titles from the Rare Earth label. What I saw and went ape over was an actual copy of the silver-covered "Sterling Ball" album [[which was the live-performance version of the studio album "In Loving Memory") at which the Motown artists sang in honor of Lucy Wakefield [[Berry Gordy, Jr.'s, sister who had died from cancer in 1965). Unfortunately, for me, Mrs. Gordy said, "Oh, my, no, I can't let you take that!" [[Oh, well, you can't blame a guy for trying! Right?)
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 08-11-2016 at 04:14 PM.

Red Jones' "Steeerikes Back"! God, 144man, isn't that thing awful! Mrs. Bertha Gordy, Sr., [[bless her heart) gave me a copy of that album the day I had cocktails with her during my October 1971 tour of Motown. Actually, she offered me whatever I wanted out of a huge pile of new Motown album releases. Being the Motown fan that I am, I had already purchased most of them on my own. I graciously accepted "Steeerikes Back", however, as well as a few other rare titles from the Rare Earth label. What I saw and went ape over was an actual copy of the silver-covered "Sterling Ball" album [[which was the live-performance version of the studio album "In Loving Memory") at which the Motown artists sang in honor of Lucy Wakefield [[Berry Gordy, Jr.'s, sister who had died from cancer in 1965). Unfortunately, for me, Mrs. Gordy said, "Oh, my, no, I can't let you take that!" [[Oh, well, you can't blame a guy for trying! Right?)
    Gary:

The Sterling Ball LP isn't live, but studio tracks. They are different tracks from the "In Loving Memory" album. I have a copy of that as well.

JR

Gary:

The Sterling Ball LP isn't live, but studio tracks. They are different tracks from the "In Loving Memory" album. I have a copy of that as well.

JR
    Really, JR? I could have sworn that, over the years, I had read that it was live performances from the Sterling Ball. Thanks for setting me straight. When you say "different" tracks, are they alternate performances of the same songs from "In Loving Memory" by the same artists, or are they different songs and artists altogether?

Gary
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 08-11-2016 at 06:01 PM.

Really, JR? I could have sworn that, over the years, I had read that it was live performances from the Sterling Ball. Thanks for setting me straight. When you say "different" tracks, are they alternate performances of the same songs from "In Loving Memory" by the same artists, or are they different songs and artists altogether?

Gary
    Here is the track listing:

Side 1
    "Reach Out And Touch Somebody's Hand" Diana Ross
    "A place In The Sun" Stevie Wonder
    "I care About Detroit" Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    "What's Going On" Marvin Gaye
    "Let's All Save The Children" Joe Hinton

Side 2
    "The Young Folks" Diana Ross & The Supremes
    "Heaven Help Us All" Stevie Wonder
    "Someday We'll Be Together" Earl Van Dyke
    "When Nobody Cares" Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" Diana Ross

All of these tracks are in Stereo. The only 2 tracks that have not appeared anywhere else in stereo are Side 1 Tracks 3 & 5. I remember reading years ago that they were all live recordings, but the only live recording is the Earl Van Dyke track [[from his live album).

Here is the track listing:

Side 1
    "Reach Out And Touch Somebody's Hand" Diana Ross
    "A place In The Sun" Stevie Wonder
    "I care About Detroit" Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    "What's Going On" Marvin Gaye
    "Let's All Save The Children" Joe Hinton

Side 2
    "The Young Folks" Diana Ross & The Supremes
    "Heaven Help Us All" Stevie Wonder
    "Someday We'll Be Together" Earl Van Dyke
    "When Nobody Cares" Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" Diana Ross

All of these tracks are in Stereo. The only 2 tracks that have not appeared anywhere else in stereo are Side 1 Tracks 3 & 5. I remember reading years ago that they were all live recordings, but the only live recording is the Earl Van Dyke track [[from his live album).
    This is not the 1969 Sterling Ball album that featured the same tracks as the "In Loving Memory" release, but the give-away from the 1971 event. This was given a release number of Motown M639!Name:  739c.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  71.4 KB

Motown 739B
    Name:  739d.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  81.6 KB

Hey, John! My Willie Tyler & Lester album arrived today. It's a NM copy and it's gorgeous! I can hardly believe that I got it for a mere $30-some! Thanks again for the heads up! And, you were so right! There are indeed 41 bands -- 41 little teeny, tiny, miniscule tracks! Weird but cool!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 08-19-2016 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by booty View Post
    This is not the 1969 Sterling Ball album that featured the same tracks as the "In Loving Memory" release, but the give-away from the 1971 event. This was given a release number of Motown M639!Name:  739c.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  71.4 KB
    Thanks, Booty. What does the cover of your Sterling Ball album look like? The one I saw in Mrs. Gordy's office was a plain silver cover with no photos whatsoever. I don't remember there being any print at all, either, although it must have said "Sterling Ball" somewhere [[maybe on the album spine) in order for me to know what it was.

Smile

Gary, why, in my head, do I hear Mrs. Gordy, Sr. saying [[after you left), "Well, I got rid of another one of those baseball albums!"

Hey, John! My Willie Tyler & Lester album arrived today. It's a NM copy and it's gorgeous! I can hardly believe that I got it for a mere $30-some! Thanks again for the heads up! And, you were so right! There are indeed 41 bands -- 41 little teeny, tiny, miniscule tracks! Weird but cool!
    That's cool, Gary! Happy listening! Although, I'm sure you could have played it a bunch of times by now! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by thommg;3?44586
    Gary, why, in my head, do I hear Mrs. Gordy, Sr. saying [[after you left), "Well, I got rid of another one of those baseball albums!"
    LOL! Good one, thommg!

That's cool, Gary! Happy listening! Although, I'm sure you could have played it a bunch of times by now! LOL
    LOL, John! You just know it! Not exactly chompin' at the bit to hear it, but tickled pink to add it to my Motown collection!

Thanks, Booty. What does the cover of your Sterling Ball album look like? The one I saw in Mrs. Gordy's office was a plain silver cover with no photos whatsoever. I don't remember there being any print at all, either, although it must have said "Sterling Ball" somewhere [[maybe on the album spine) in order for me to know what it was.
    Name:  739a.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  24.1 KB
    Name:  739b.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  23.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by booty View Post
    Name:  739a.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  24.1 KB
    Name:  739b.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  23.2 KB
    Yes, booty, that looks like the silver album cover that I remember from Mrs. Gordy's office. I don't recall the little red insignia in the center, but, then again, I only saw it once in 1971, and that was 45 years ago. Thanks for posting it. - Gary