[REMOVE ADS]

Pesident Barack Obama declares june 2016 as african american music appreciation month

Jimmy Carter made a similar proclamation back in the 70s. Still this is great.

June has been Black Music Appreciation month for over a decade, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    June has been Black Music Appreciation month for over a decade, at least.
    It started as Black Music Month by President Jimmy Carter on June 7, 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It started as Black Music Month by President Jimmy Carter on June 7, 1979.
    Yeah, now that I think about it, it has been around for a long time.

The record labels used to ready up and issue a lot of reissues and comps of R&B and jazz music, but not anymore. If the record stores do, they promote the same things every year, and, where I live, it's usually the old Stax catalog from the 60s and 70s. It would be great if they could actually get some new vintage product out there. I'd love to see the Switch catalog available digitally, at least. I notice that The Emotions "Come Into Our World" is finally available digitally with bonus tracks, but it sounds like crap. My needledrop sounds better.

It's Obama being a politician. Don't get me wrong, I like the cat. Voted for him twice. Still,
    I haven't always agreed with everything he's said or done. Haven't with any president,
    governor, mayor or dog catcher, for that matter. Anyway, every month is Black Music
    Month for me. I'd change it back and include the diaspora. Soul, jazz, reggae, ska, soukous,
    township, ethio-jazz.,zouk, blues,funk, all of it. The Rick Ross, Nikki Minaj mix I could do without. I think he's trying to score some brownie points with the youngins so maybe they'll
    positively reflect on his legacy. Smart move, I guess but I'd be more impressed if he
    invited Pharoah Sanders and Oumou Sangare to the White House...BTW, that really sucks
    if true about that Emotions release, soulster....dang! I was looking forward to that...

Naw! he ain't doin' none of that, Splanky! He's just acknowledging Black/African-American Music month, that's all. You know American needs to be reminded that the music exists, and I see nothing wrong with including the likes of Rick Ross and Nicki Minaj in that. They're part of it, too. And, besides, who is going to carry the music after we're gone? The young folks, that's who!

I'll be doing my annual tribute to the Funk at the Richland County Public Library in Columbia, SC on June 11th, 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    I'll be doing my annual tribute to the Funk at the Richland County Public Library in Columbia, SC on June 11th, 2016.
    Do it to it Timmy! I wished I could be there also.

I'm with splanky, brownie points is what it is,it ain't like we just got off the boat,soul,r&b, has been around for awhile and all kids black and white know it so no need for a politician to unveil a black music month,or a black history month,i'm sick of it.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I'm with splanky, brownie points is what it is,it ain't like we just got off the boat,soul,r&b, has been around for awhile and all kids black and white know it so no need for a politician to unveil a black music month,or a black history month,i'm sick of it.
    I don't know what kind of world you and Splanky live in, but in my corner of the world, there are thousands and thousands of people of all stripes who are totally ignorant of R&B music.

I don't know what kind of world you and Splanky live in, but in my corner of the world, there are thousands and thousands of people of all stripes who are totally ignorant of R&B music.
    Well places like Washington D.C., Chicago, Detroit and NYC folks lived with the music. It was the music I heard from the moment I knew what music was.

Well places like Washington D.C., Chicago, Detroit and NYC folks lived with the music. It was the music I heard from the moment I knew what music was.
    That's my point. You all live where there is a large or majority Black population. Try living out here in the southwest! Almost nothing but Whites, Asians, and Mexicans.

That's my point. You all live where there is a large or majority Black population. Try living out here in the southwest! Almost nothing but Whites, Asians, and Mexicans.
    Do you know Tejano [[sp?) music? Where I grew up, we heard a lot of Can-Con [[Canadian content) music.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    It's Obama being a politician. Don't get me wrong, I like the cat. Voted for him twice. Still,
    I haven't always agreed with everything he's said or done. Haven't with any president,
    governor, mayor or dog catcher, for that matter. Anyway, every month is Black Music
    Month for me. I'd change it back and include the diaspora. Soul, jazz, reggae, ska, soukous,
    township, ethio-jazz.,zouk, blues,funk, all of it. The Rick Ross, Nikki Minaj mix I could do without. I think he's trying to score some brownie points with the youngins so maybe they'll
    positively reflect on his legacy. Smart move, I guess but I'd be more impressed if he
    invited Pharoah Sanders and Oumou Sangare to the White House...BTW, that really sucks
    if true about that Emotions release, soulster....dang! I was looking forward to that...
    Splanky it doesn't sound bad at all

Do you know Tejano [[sp?) music? Where I grew up, we heard a lot of Can-Con [[Canadian content) music.
    Where I live, I don't even hear Tejano, or any other Mexican music! I hear it when I go to Phoenix because there is a much larger Mexican population there.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  21.1 KB
    Where I grew up, in Manitoba, we had some "Can-Con" [[although they didn't call it that) music on the radio, but most was corny commercial C&W music. About 75% of it was from US artists, and the rest, Canadian. But I hated it.

My parents had a lot of Jazz, R&B and "City Blues" 78s, which was the first music I heard. That's the music I gravitated to, and moved on to Soul and Gospel as well. We used to go to visit family in Chicago at Christmas vacation, and part of summer, and I heard lots of music from the R&B stations there, and street players [[my uncles' stores were in The South Side, and they lived right on the edge of South Chicago and The South Side). So, I was exposed to plenty of good music before the age of 10.

We moved to Chicago when I was 14, an I lived and worked in those same places, so I grew up in The Black Community. I went to Bowen High, in South Chicago, which had the greatest music department in that city, and fostered many R&B and Soul stars. I saw several of the recording groups and single artists as they were first coming up, at school shows, sock hops and park rec-halls for free and token payments. Those were the days.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  21.1 KB
    Where I grew up, in Manitoba, we had some "Can-Con" [[although they didn't call it that) music on the radio, but most was corny commercial C&W music. About 75% of it was from US artists, and the rest, Canadian. But I hated it.

My parents had a lot of Jazz, R&B and "City Blues" 78s, which was the first music I heard. That's the music I gravitated to, and moved on to Soul and Gospel as well. We used to go to visit family in Chicago at Christmas vacation, and part of summer, and I heard lots of music from the R&B stations there, and street players [[my uncles' stores were in The South Side, and they lived right on the edge of South Chicago and The South Side). So, I was exposed to plenty of good music before the age of 10.

We moved to Chicago when I was 14, an I lived and worked in those same places, so I grew up in The Black Community. I went to Bowen High, in South Chicago, which had the greatest music department in that city, and fostered many R&B and Soul stars. I saw several of the recording groups and single artists as they were first coming up, at school shows, sock hops and park rec-halls for free and token payments. Those were the days.

Robb, we have a lot in common! The Can-Con situation became more serious, more noticeable around 1971. To me it was a good thing because by that time, there was some very good music coming out of Canada with Gordon Lightfoot, the Guess Who, Anne Murray, David Clayton Thomas and BSWT, etc.

I had many relatives that lived on the South Side of Chicago [[I was texting with my cousin Sam today who grew up over there.). The music was a strong part of the culture of the city. Same with Detroit. Those definitely were the days! Now, sadly music programs have been cut in public schools. Kids no longer study music or are trained to play instruments. It shows in the commercial music output of today.