[REMOVE ADS]

Marvin Gaye - Your Unchanging Love

Does anyone have any information about the TV program Malibu U

I have always loved that tinkling jazz piano on 'Your Unchanging Love'.

There may be other Motown tracks featuring similar work on the keyboards, but few where it is quite so prominent in the mix.

Now, where's my tambourine.....

Here are you Mr Tinkling Piano man

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Does anyone have any information about the TV program Malibu U

I don't know anything about Malibu U, but this clip is from the television program "Where the Action Is" produced by Dick Clark. We use to watch it in the afternoons after school. It aired Monday -Friday at 4 pm Eastern Standard Time on the ABC television network right after "Dark Shadows".
    Last edited by marv2; 05-31-2016 at 08:56 PM.

Theboyfromxtown...

'When I Had Your Love' has, to my ears, more of a 'hammer-thump' style of jazz piano.

Very distinctive, especially towards the fade out, but nowhere near the virtuosity shown on 'Your Unchanging Love'.....

[QUOTE=theboyfromxtown;335845]Does anyone have any information about the TV program Malibu U

http://www.tv.com/shows/malibu-u/the...ristie-236160/

It seems to have only lasted for 7 episodes.

Hmmh....the introduction of guests states that this is Marvin's 2nd appearance on the show. Yet the info in the link I posted above only lists him as guest on Episode 6.

Also lists Marvin as appearing on 2 episodes:

http://www.tvrage.com/malibu-u

Further investigation at the website states the he was a guest on episodes 5 & 6.
    Last edited by carole cucumber; 05-31-2016 at 09:16 PM.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/.../t-279576.html

TV Knowledge Fan
    02-13-2011, 04:23 AM

...in fact, it was produced on color videotape in the summer of 1967, and seen as a summer replacement series on ABC's Friday night schedule [[right after "THE TIME TUNNEL") between July and September. It was an informal hour-long musical variety show along the lines of Dick Clark's daily "WHERE THE ACTION IS" [which was cancelled earlier that year], featuring Rick Nelson as the "Dean" {host} of "Malibu U." [[taped at Malibu Beach), where the "student body" {including lots of girls in bikinis!} gathered to hear "guest lecturers" {singers} perform their latest hits . I know of [I]one episode, on black and white kinescope film, that's floating around collectors' circles {a commercial from it, with part of the ending of one show, is posted on YouTube}. That's all I know!

:tv:

On the same episode as Marvin doing YOUR UNCHANGING LOVE, Dionne Warwick performed THE WINDOWS OF THE WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    On the same episode as Marvin doing YOUR UNCHANGING LOVE, Dionne Warwick performed THE WINDOWS OF THE WORLD.
    Thanks, that narrows it down: Episode 5.

Wow thanks for the information guys.

Loved to see the clip of Dionne. Love that song.

Someone mentioned Malibu U in the comment section and I was tryign to think of a song that I have called that.

I've just remembered it and it seems to be connected.

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    I have always loved that tinkling jazz piano on 'Your Unchanging Love'.

There may be other Motown tracks featuring similar work on the keyboards, but few where it is quite so prominent in the mix.

Now, where's my tambourine.....
    I, too, love the tinkling piano on this track. It's also one of my favorite Marvin Gaye songs.

Just can't get that darned thing out of my head now....LOL

It's only just struck me that the piano is even more prominent here, than in the other versions I've heard.

It has always seemed unusual for a Motown recording in that, apart from a sax, I can hear no other brass instruments.......

Isn't the piano work a throwback to that on "How Sweet It Is [[To Be Loved By You)"?

I'd say yes......

'Your Unchanging Love' was completed six months later than 'How Sweet It Is'.

It sounds as if the two basic rhythm tracks may have been recorded at the same session, 'Your Unchanging Love' being taken at a faster tempo, with vocals and strings added later.