[REMOVE ADS]

Humans and their often crazy ideas about animals...

This story has been everywhere and a lot of people have differing
    opinions about it...I'd like to know if anyone here has seen it
    and what they think...

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...cincinnati-zoo

Seems to me the only innocent was the gorilla...

I think it was a tough situation all around. I do think the parents should hold more accountability for what happened.

It seemed like the gorilla was trying to protect the kid, but he also gorillahandled him, too, which put the boy at risk. I do not think the gorilla would have hurt the child intentionally, but dragging him around the water like that could have injured or even killed him had he drowned or hit his head. There really was no choice but to take him out. Obviously, the animal-rights people thought they could have done better.

What's ridiculous is that moveon.org wants the mother charged. What for? Shit! Kids break away from their parents and do things. What the zoo needs to do is ensure that this can't happen again.

What bothers me about this is that people seem to care more about the animal than the kid. Wonder why.
    Last edited by soulster; 05-30-2016 at 10:20 PM.

Of course the gorilla had to be taken out. There was time for speculation and no wait and see
    option available. I've seen elsewhere comments indicating the mother was also watching
    other children and too, that the kid had expressed a desire to go into the exhibit with the
    animal. A firmer No and closer watch on him to me was need right then. Maybe even a leash.
    What bothers me it how people often overlook or mis-read the danger in some animal's
    behavioral expressions....Look at the way this video is captioned....

https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=m...play+with+baby

New friend or snack?...

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  21.1 KB
    I would have hoped that shooting the gorilla with large doses of stunning sedatives from several stun guns would have been enough. But, the gorilla could have fallen and the child's head could have hit the cement [[but that also could have happened the way it was actually done, with live ammunition. But, I can understand deciding to kill the gorilla, as even 5-10 more seconds of carrying the boy, waiting for the sedatives to take control, added that much more risk that something could go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  21.1 KB
    I would have hoped that shooting the gorilla with large doses of stunning sedatives from several stun guns would have been enough. But, the gorilla could have fallen and the child's head could have hit the cement [[but that also could have happened the way it was actually done, with live ammunition. But, I can understand deciding to kill the gorilla, as even 5-10 more seconds of carrying the boy, waiting for the sedatives to take control, added that much more risk that something could go wrong.
    The reason they didn't use tranquilizers was because they don't work immediately, and can enrage the animal. There is no evidence that a stun gun would even work on that type of mamal. They couldn't even get close enough to use it if they could.

Gorillas are an endangered species; humans aren't.

Can't it therefore be argued that it would be more moral to save the gorilla than the human?

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post

Can't it therefore be argued that it would be more moral to save the gorilla than the human?
    Never. The child needed to be saved and I am happy they did.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post

No, because it's a child.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    No, because it's a child.
    The child did not understand the danger in what he was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    The child did not understand the danger in what he was doing.
    Exactly. And, strangely enough, the child did not appear to be in distress, though shock takes many forms.

The animal rights people are disgusting, though, caring more about the life of an animal than a human child.

We were not put on this earth to harm animals, but to protect them. However, many animals, and primitive mammals, do not think twice about harming humans. It makes me want to give the PETA people the middle finger and go eat a steak or something.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Exactly. And, strangely enough, the child did not appear to be in distress, though shock takes many forms.

The animal rights people are disgusting, though, caring more about the life of an animal than a human child.

We were not put on this earth to harm animals, but to protect them. However, many animals, and primitive mammals, do not think twice about harming humans. It makes me want to give the PETA people the middle finger and go eat a steak or something.
    I can imagine had it been their child, they would have felt differently. Disgusting is the right word.

This was a truly sad and unfortunate incident. The people who want to charge the parents are hypocrites of the highest order. Every parent has taken his or her eye off of a child for a moment and that's what appears to have happened here. To suggest that it is the mom's fault and demand that she be charged should suggest that we have special cops who do nothing but monitor the lines of sights of parents in public places and charge them with neglect, even if there was no consequence of it. Total BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    This was a truly sad and unfortunate incident. The people who want to charge the parents are hypocrites of the highest order. Every parent has taken his or her eye off of a child for a moment and that's what appears to have happened here. To suggest that it is the mom's fault and demand that she be charged should suggest that we have special cops who do nothing but monitor the lines of sights of parents in public places and charge them with neglect, even if there was no consequence of it. Total BS.
    What's most offensive is the out cry for justice for this silverback ape, but none of these people said a word publicly about justice for 12 year old Tamir Rice who was murdered by the Cleveland Police. No celebrities and none of these people crying foul on social media,

They are full of crap.

This is Cincinnati Ohio that we're talking about. The same place where a [[White) guy was talked down after he pointed a gun at police officers responding to a call about his erratic behavior. But later that week, a [[Black) guy was shot by cops after wandering away dazed following a car accident. The cops said that he had a BB gun in his waist band and that he stood up and drew on them.

Two questions: 1) Why was he told to get on the ground after a car accident? Is that now a criminal offense? and 2) Even if they didn't know it was a BB gun, the brother [[who died) sure as hell knew it was a BB gun. Who in his right mind is going to pull a BB gun on Cincinnati pigs? NOBODY!

The same city where you can be arrested for walking down the street while carrying a cup of coffee:

But that didn't make the national news like the gorilla did. This stuff happens there all the time but nobody seems to notice it. A dead brother is expected, I guess, but a dead gorilla is a shame. I'll bet it would be easier to convict the mom for the death of a gorilla than it would to convict a cop for the death of an unarmed Black man.
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 06-02-2016 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    This is Cincinnati Ohio that we're talking about. The same place where a [[White) guy was talked down after he pointed a gun at police officers responding to a call about his erratic behavior. But later that week, a [[Black) guy was shot by cops after wandering away dazed following a car accident. The cops said that he had a BB gun in his waist band and that he stood up and drew on them.

Two questions: 1) Why was he told to get on the ground after a car accident? Is that now a criminal offense? and 2) Even if they didn't know it was a BB gun, the brother [[who died) sure as hell knew it was a BB gun. Who in his right mind is going to pull a BB gun on Cincinnati pigs? NOBODY!

The same city where you can be arrested for walking down the street while carrying a cup of coffee:

But that didn't make the national news like the gorilla did. This stuff happens there all the time but nobody seems to notice it. A dead brother is expected, I guess, but a dead gorilla is a shame. I'll bet it would be easier to convict the mom for the death of a gorilla than it would to convict a cop for the death of an unarmed Black man.
    Don't forget the U of Cincy cop that shot that dude in the head and lied and said he had drug him with his car.