[REMOVE ADS]

Fonzi thornton~ i wonder why his solo career never took off

He was an in demand background vocalist in the late 70's and 80's and recorded some noteworthy tunes produced by Kashif, The Chic Organization and Nile Rodgers but never quite made a name for himself. I do remember his song "Beverly" receiving moderate airplay in the 80's. I've always liked this Kashif produced ditty

Glen, I think you kind of answered it. Fonzi, just like Darlene Love , is one of the most in demand background vocalist in the business. He performs back up for Aretha Franklin often on television and on tour. Remember Donny Gerard from the group Skylark? Great singer but performs backup exclusively for Mavis Staples.

Face it: his career never took off because he's just not that good of a solo singer, and he had substandard solo material to work with.

For some reason, it seems like a lot of New York singers from back in the day had a hard time breaking nationally. I used to buy used albums and cut outs at a campus record shop and many of the NYC artists that I listened to were never played on radio in my city, even those who were on national labels. And I agree with soulster in the belief that their material as solo artists wasn't impressive as I would have thought it should have been.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Face it: his career never took off because he's just not that good of a solo singer, and he had substandard solo material to work with.
    Don't mince your words soulster!! I do partially agree with your views. He was a decent singer as opposed to a great one. Better singers have failed to make the grade, yet inferior ones have managed to be successful. I haven't heard that much of his solo stuff but i do like this tune. A compilation album would be nice.

I can remember seeing Patti Austin on a late night talk show and she said that "she would have been a bigger star had she been hungrier". She made a ton of money as a back ground and jingle vocalist so being a recording artist wasn't priority. I'm sure that's also the case with Lisa Fisher. I would love to see one of those checks that she's receiving just from backing The Stones.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    LOL, I have to agree he was not the best singer

It was the CHIC touch that did it for me on this one

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    I can remember seeing Patti Austin on a late night talk show and she said that "she would have been a bigger star had she been hungrier". She made a ton of money as a back ground and jingle vocalist so being a recording artist wasn't priority. I'm sure that's also the case with Lisa Fisher. I would love to see one of those checks that she's receiving just from backing The Stones.
    Patti Austin is a better equipped vocalist than 99% of the artists she backed up, and what a saucy sense of humour she has!! I was hysterical with laughter at some of her impressions of famous singers. She could quite easily have found success as a comedienne had she not been such a wonderful vocalist.