[REMOVE ADS]

Ann Bogan of the Marvelettes

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything recently about Ann Bogan? She seems to have disappeared from the radar screen. Nobody mentions her.

HELP.

Last I heard, Ann was living in Cleveland, Ohio and singing in her church choir. I always liked Ann's voice.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxdXTzenzlI

Last edited by blueskies; 05-26-2016 at 06:00 PM.

Certainly an underrated voice at Motown. The few leads she had with the Marvelettes were great and should have helped revive the group's fortunes.

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    Certainly an underrated voice at Motown. The few leads she had with the Marvelettes were great and should have helped revive the group's fortunes.
    I don't know how Motown let "Breakthrough [[I've Got My Freedom)" sit in the can. It should have been a single.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I don't know how Motown let "Breakthrough [[I've Got My Freedom)" sit in the can. It should have been a single.
    You're absolutely right, bradsupremes. That is one great song, although it fades out too early.

She was a really great singer, and her lead vocals on the post-Gladys Marvelettes albums were top quality, and truely distinctive. For me, I'm Gonna Hold On Long As I Can, with the extended intro, is the best! She was beautiful as well.....

Some time ago, Kat has posted on Facebook that she was in search of Ann. This might have been around 2013, when the Marvelettes were nominated for the Rock Hall.

It struck me as a bit sad that Kat had to resort to social media; I understand that people move, and friends come and go in and out of your life, but you'd think that somehow they'd manage to stay in touch.

She did end up finding her, and as above mentioned, I believe it was in Ohio.

Ann was also featured briefly in the UNSUNG episode that was done on the Marvelettes a few years back.

RossHolloway Guest
    Does anyone know if Ann has any unreleased solo or group material in the vaults? I'd be curious to know if she were signed as an artist when she first came to Motown and what did she do after the release of the Andante's single Like a Nightmare in 1964 and before she joined the Marvelettes in 1967?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpmoves View Post
    She was a really great singer, and her lead vocals on the post-Gladys Marvelettes albums were top quality, and truely distinctive. For me, I'm Gonna Hold On Long As I Can, with the extended intro, is the best! She was beautiful as well.....
    I have their "Here 'Tis" LP, is that first LP of the same [[high) quality ?

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Does anyone know if Ann has any unreleased solo or group material in the vaults? I'd be curious to know if she were signed as an artist when she first came to Motown and what did she do after the release of the Andante's single Like a Nightmare in 1964 and before she joined the Marvelettes in 1967?
    I doubt there's anything left on Ann singing lead with the Marvelettes as, I think, such tracks would have been included on the "Lost & Found" disc on the Marvelettes' "Forever More" albums box set of a few years back. However, here are a few of her solo Motown tracks when Harvey Fuqua brought her to the company back in 1963:-

Dear Parents
    Hold Me Oh My Darling
    Hold Me Oh My Darling [[duet with Harvey Fuqua)
    There Are Things

Ivor

Quote Originally Posted by Laserdk View Post
    I doubt there's anything left on Ann singing lead with the Marvelettes as, I think, such tracks would have been included on the "Lost & Found" disc on the Marvelettes' "Forever More" albums box set of a few years back. However, here are a few of her solo Motown tracks when Harvey Fuqua brought her to the company back in 1963:-

Dear Parents
    Hold Me Oh My Darling
    There Are Things

Ivor
    Ivor

Dear Parents....There's nothing listed for Ann Bogan.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Ivor

Dear Parents....There's nothing listed for Ann Bogan.
    John,

Duly noted, thanks and will update my list. I should have added the caveat that I don't know for sure that these tracks actually exist but overlooked it. Oops!

Ivor

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Laserdk View Post

Dear Parents
    Hold Me Oh My Darling
    There Are Things

Ivor
    Thanks for the info. I wonder if Hold Me and There Are Things the same tracks that Tammi Terrell later cut. I would love to here these tracks, if they do indeed exist.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Thanks for the info. I wonder if Hold Me and There Are Things the same tracks that Tammi Terrell later cut. I would love to here these tracks, if they do indeed exist.
    They are...although I'm not sure about a duet.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    They are...although I'm not sure about a duet.
    The duet is the same

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpmoves View Post
    Ann was always a good singer.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    The duet is the same
    Have you heard any of these tracks by Ann B.? Or if she recorded more tracks between '64 -'67?