[REMOVE ADS]

Could this be Sister Sledge?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfSRn...eature=related

My.....they look young for being in the business well over 30 years! I think this is a fairly recent video? Somebody found the fountain of youth....or, it's someone else?

I recognize only Kathy from the original group. Some of the other ladies might be her daughters.

Yes--she started touring using Sister Sledge name--two other Sledges had been touring together.

She bills herself as Kathy Sledge & indeed, it's still a family affair.

One of the ladies is a cousin, sometimes she brings her daughter on-stage & the young lady in the dark outfit is a friend named Audra Lomax & the drummer is Kathy's husband.

On you tube it is often listed as Sister Sledge and show was billed as Kathy Sledge and Sister Sledge at BBKings.

I just saw Sister Sledge featuring Kathy Sledge in concert last Thursday. The line up was as stated above, her daughter and a cousin and Kathy. All of the sisters are on facebook and they have stood the test of time physically [[i.e. still lookin good). Interesting thing is that Joni Sledge also tours with her own version of Sister Sledge. Guess no more sticking together like birds of a feather

LOL--I am Family!!

Luke

I believe that you're right. I shot that show at B.B. King's & I have to say that Kathy & her crew were very tight musically & Audra is quite good in her own right.

I believe that one reason for the sisters not singing together as a unit is that the audience would likely expect the sisters to sing nothing but their hits, while Kathy went on to score some solo club hits on her own. Also, as she still records & has sought to spread her wings in other genres [[ala. Billie Holiday tributes), I don't believe that she wants to be pigeon-holed as a "Disco" act, nor an "Oldies" act.

I just think that a time comes where the various members of any group wants to explore different musical paths that the limitations or musical identity of the group tends to make a bit difficult for the unit as a whole.

I believe that there's a chance that we'll see the Sledge Sisters on-stage somewhere in the future. Either way, Kathy is still doing her thing & is much more diverse musically than most know.

Agreed Juicefree. Around 2005 the original line up released a cd called "Style" that was very hard to find. It featured new songs, some jazz standards and a remake of the Beatle's "Something". Kathy did a great solo of the Nat King Cole classic "When I Fall In Love" on that project. It's a shame that it didn't make major release because it really showed that the group was more than just a disco act.
    It seems like today, two of the sisters are very involved in ministry but I do believe that we will see them together again. Here is a promo pic from the STYLE release
    Attached Images Attached Images  

also you can hear new music from Kathy at www.kathysledge.com

More than just disco divas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHmCwLfqWvI

African Eyes was an awesome cd , however it didn't get the accolades it deserved

Quote Originally Posted by Cstok002 View Post
    African Eyes was an awesome cd , however it didn't get the accolades it deserved
    Yes it was. There is much much more to these ladies than just disco divas. Kathy especially has a wonderfully expressive voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Cstok002 View Post
    Did you hear their cd "Style" from 2003. That was really a good cd celebrating various styles of music from funk, pop, jazz and r&b. The title track sampled James Brown's "Papa Don't Take No Mess". There's a remake of The Beatles "Something", a beautiful rendition of the Nat King Cole classic WHEN I FALL IN LOVE with Kathy on lead and some original material and jazz standards. The right promo could have taken thi scd places. Name:  img025.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  101.8 KB