[REMOVE ADS]

25 Years after the death of David Ruffin: We Remember His Greatness

I was at the funeral. It is very hard to believe it's been 25 years already:

http://www.soultracks.com/story-david-ruffin-25

One of the all time great talents...Just a shame that his demons ultimately got the best of him...

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    One of the all time great talents...Just a shame that his demons ultimately got the best of him...
    I've got to say, I much prefer his performances with the Tempts over his solo material.

He was a great talent and a nice man to his fans. I saw his oldest daughter Cheryl last month. She looks very much like Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    He was a great talent and a nice man to his fans. I saw his oldest daughter Cheryl last month. She looks very much like Dad.
    Marv: When you saw Cheryl last month, did you think to ask her the status and the reason for the delay in publishing the new book that is in the pipeline about her father? The cover is absolutely incredible. Hope it sees the light of day.

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    I've got to say, I much prefer his performances with the Tempts over his solo material.
    I love just about everything featuring that awesome voice. I met him a couple of years before his death . He was touring with Eddie Kendricks and Dennis Edwards. He was obviously unwell at this time which was sad to see and was not in a very co-operative mood but it was still an honour to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Marv: When you saw Cheryl last month, did you think to ask her the status and the reason for the delay in publishing the new book that is in the pipeline about her father? The cover is absolutely incredible. Hope it sees the light of day.
    I am sorry, I did not ask her that. Maybe next time I see her which will be soon.

I can't speak from meeting him cause i never did,but as a fan of his temps work as well as his solo year,nobody was better.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I can't speak from meeting him cause i never did,but as a fan of his temps work as well as his solo year,nobody was better.
    David Ruffin was simply awesome! Put him on stage, give him a mic and stand back!

Hard to believe he's been gone so long. It happened that I was in DC that night to see Mary Wilson at Blues Alley when the news hit. Everyone there was understandably distressed but probably no one more than Mary. Still, trouper that she is, she gave her all to the show that night as she always does, and received her friends and fans afterward as always, and even accepted an invitation from one of them to go to the club he owned after her show. I like to think that being surrounded by those of us who loved her and shared the loss might have helped to take the edge off of the sad news for her. I hope it did at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Hard to believe he's been gone so long. It happened that I was in DC that night to see Mary Wilson at Blues Alley when the news hit. Everyone there was understandably distressed but probably no one more than Mary. Still, trouper that she is, she gave her all to the show that night as she always does, and received her friends and fans afterward as always, and even accepted an invitation from one of them to go to the club he owned after her show. I like to think that being surrounded by those of us who loved her and shared the loss might have helped to take the edge off of the sad news for her. I hope it did at any rate.

Mary was with us at the funeral in Detroit. The whole situation was devastating to a lot of people, myself included.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I was at the funeral. It is very hard to believe it's been 25 years already:

http://www.soultracks.com/story-david-ruffin-25
    Today is June 2, 2016 - 25 years after his death. Everyone reading this should at least listen to some of the great music that he produced during his short life span. That is the best tribute we can make today - 25 years later.

My favorite of his solo work was[i've lost everything]david was king of the sad song.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Today is June 2, 2016 - 25 years after his death. Everyone reading this should at least listen to some of the great music that he produced during his short life span. That is the best tribute we can make today - 25 years later.
    I think that is a great idea. This one will always be one of my favorites: