[REMOVE ADS]

Kim Weston: I Got What You Need

Good one Carole

Great classic Kim Weston. Thanks Carole.

This was done in Philadelphia.

This was her debut single for MGM and I thought it was very good — almost up to her Hitsville standard. Her follow-up, "Nobody" was even better. Neither charted well. [[Three Dog Night later covered "Nobody" and it didn't fare much better for them, either.) Still, this demonstrated that Kim had the pipes for sure. I suppose the fact that these singles were rather unsuccessful led MGM [[or Kim and Mickey) to try another direction there, resulting in her This is America album, which also flopped, but did at least yield her exemplary version of "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing," which to this day is often regarded as definitive.

but what was weird was her LPs did not contain the single "I Got What You Need" "That's Groovy" or "Nobody". I could never find "Nobody" at the stores & that was the best IMHO.

What was the deal re Kim Weston and Johnny Nash. Did anyone think these recordings were great?

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    What was the deal re Kim Weston and Johnny Nash. Did anyone think these recordings were great?
    I bought that album and can barely remember it. I do remember liking a track called WE GET BETTER or something like that.

I never heard or saw an album with Kim and Johnny.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I never heard or saw an album with Kim and Johnny.
    The records were released on Ban Yan Tree in the USA and in the UK on Major Minor. I had[[might still have) the album and the UK single which consisted of "From Both Sides Now" bw "We Try Harder" which is the song I think you're thinking of Reese. This is also the song I liked best from the duo.

Attachment 11372

We Try Harder

I stumbled on the album in a cutout bin a couple of years after it was released. I thought it was pleasant listening, if not spectacular. I don't know what happened to the disc because I can't locate it now. In any case, my favorite track was "They're Just Gonna Have to Try." Stylistically, it sounded very much like Kim's earlier single, "Nobody."

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    I stumbled on the album in a cutout bin a couple of years after it was released. I thought it was pleasant listening, if not spectacular. I don't know what happened to the disc because I can't locate it now. In any case, my favorite track was "They're Just Gonna Have to Try." Stylistically, it sounded very much like Kim's earlier single, "Nobody."
    BIGAL

"Nobody" is Kim's personal favourite song of all her songs.

We Try Harder
    thank you Mysterysinger.

You're welcome Marv. The year after, 1970, Major Minor in the UK released Kim's solo single, "Danger Heartbreak Dead Ahead"/"I'll Be Thinkin' " which was released in the US on People.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  21.1 KB
    Of Kim's non-Motown work, I like "You're Just The Kind Of Guy" best.

Just watched the initial post. Kim is a terrific live performer! Cool tune, too! Thanks, carole!

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    I can see why. It's a masterpiece. Had it been released on the Gordy label and plugged it would have made her a star.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    BIGAL

Kim sang 'Nobody' on WTAI 1966 but I was told the footage no longer exists...however I have the clip 'Helpless'