[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Tavares

Tavares

I don't know a lot about them but they sure had a lot of nice songs and to me are underrated. Songs in their catalog like "Strangers In Dark Corners" should have been a hit. Madam Butterfly and Check It Out to me are classics but it looks like it Madam Butterfly wasn't released as a single from the album of the same name. How the heck did that not happen? I'm glad to see that all of the brothers are still around also. Was there a certain brother who mainly handled lead singer? I'm trying to find out who was singing lead on what songs like "Madam Butterfly, Check It Out and Never Had A Love Like This Before."

Butch was their main lead singer. I last saw them in 2006 in concert on Long Island. There are now just three of the brothers performing.

Tavares were indeed underrated. "Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel", "More Than A Woman", and "Remember What I Told You To Forget" are songs that make me stop whatever I'm doing when they are playing. I often wondered why they never seemed to enjoy greater success.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Butch was their main lead singer. I last saw them in 2006 in concert on Long Island. There are now just three of the brothers performing.
    Thanks Marv. Now to find out which one is Butch. I take it that age or health has played a part in the other two brothers dropping out. I always think of young people singing whenever I hear Tavares.

Jerry: Tavares were indeed underrated. "Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel", "More Than A Woman", and "Remember What I Told You To Forget" are songs that make me stop whatever I'm doing when they are playing. I often wondered why they never seemed to enjoy greater success.

Maybe someday they will be rediscovered.

Here in Merrye Olde England they were HUGE for a year or two ... Four Top 10 "Pop" hits .. "Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel", "Don't Take Away The Music", "WhoDunit" and "More Than A Woman" ... I saw them live at Baileys in Leicester [[apparently at last a lot of Americans now know how to pronounce "Leicester") and they were great!!

Too many great tunes to mention but I think their best was "Never Had A Love Like This Before"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8iW46iihZA

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    Thanks Marv. Now to find out which one is Butch. I take it that age or health has played a part in the other two brothers dropping out. I always think of young people singing whenever I hear Tavares.

Jerry: Tavares were indeed underrated. "Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel", "More Than A Woman", and "Remember What I Told You To Forget" are songs that make me stop whatever I'm doing when they are playing. I often wondered why they never seemed to enjoy greater success.

Maybe someday they will be rediscovered.
    I'll post their pictures to help. I've spent time in their home town of New Bedford, Massachusetts.

This is Butch Tavares, he use to be married to the beautiful actress Lola Falana:

Attachment 11327

This is the current formation of the group that I saw and that are still touring:

Butch, Pooch and Chubby

Attachment 11328

Count me in as a fan also! Loved Whodunit and the two-sided single Remember What I Told You to Forget and My Ship.

One of my favorites was 1978's "Never Had A Love Like This"

I like their hits, but really like the long version of "Bad Times" from 1980.

Tiny.....aka Perry [[I think) toured the UK a few years ago. He was on the same bill as the Velvelettes. Very approachable and a very nice man.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Tiny.....aka Perry [[I think) toured the UK a few years ago. He was on the same bill as the Velvelettes. Very approachable and a very nice man.
    Ha John that was the venue i met up with you mate,wonderful live shows ,though one of my many Tavares faves TO THE OTHER MAN I loved them back in the day One Step Away iWANNA SEE YOU SOON With Freda Payne also charted inUK what i would give to be back there,cheers.

Yes agreed, Tavares released some fine songs. Also before they were known as Tavares, they recorded as The Turnpikes, and Chubby & The Turnpikes. Nice harmonies! A few of my favorites...

Last edited by sunshineonacloudyday; 05-13-2016 at 07:12 AM.

Great post and thanks everyone. Marv, thanks for placing names to faces. That helps a lot. I never heard any of their songs when they went by the Chubby & The Turnpike so thanks Sunshine. On "Straight From The Heart," who is the lead singer?

Years back Chubby or Butch wrote their memoirs [[of course with help) but I could never get
    a copy of the book for some reason and I want to try again now. I really liked them as The
    Turnpikes and I remember someone telling me that Bernie Worrell played keyboards for
    them on some of their early releases. Their family roots actually date back to Cape Verde,
    an island off the coast of West Africa, colonized by Spain. As Tavares I wasn't exactly crazy
    about their later lean into disco but tracks like Remember...really knocked me out. The first
    song you mentioned, mr june, Strangers In Dark Corners is classic soul at it's finest. I have
    it on cassette but I hope to fix that limitation soon...I always felt that if they had a bigger
    stronger band attached to them they could have reached the level of popularity of acts
    like New Birth. They certainly had the voices thing locked down...

I wanted a copy of that book too but was never able to get it. It wasn't available in the UK so it made it even harder to get hold of.

I did discover later that there was a lot of bad mouthing in it about one of the brothers. So maybe it's just as well I didn't get it

Quote Originally Posted by sunshineonacloudyday View Post
    great tune....

saw them live in southport [[ uk) in the late 70s...one of the best live acts i have ever seen....

Well had the luck a few weeks ago in Germany to hang out with the four of them if i am correct, they still performing and are in great spirit. Antone [[Chubby) has a recent solo cd out produced by preston glass http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/chubbytavares2 also i was happy surprised in there setlist they did a track from george benson here some picures from april 2016 http://www.soulpixx.de/galerien/tava...10-22-04-2016/ greetings from the Netherlands.

Sophisticated Soul at it's finest! The harmonies are perfect. Tavares and "Never Had A Love Like This Before" from December 1978:

Memories, memories........

\

This is the one that really impressed me ... their treatment of Darryl Hall and John Oates "She's Gone".... vocal interplay and fuzz guitar - superb

This was the very first record I remember hearing by Tavares back in '73:

This was the very first record I remember hearing by Tavares back in '73:

Flood of memories came back to me watching this...Dang, we had music for days back then...
    That was the same year as Marvin Gaye's Let's Get It On. We had a friggin' buffet table
    of music throughout the 70's for sure. Inspired by this very well done, though I know,
    lip synced performance I made another effort find that book but alas, no sellers online
    and the closest copy to me is in a library in Mass. 164 miles away! Shhhhhhh....

Man, I love '70s soul. It is underrated, coming on the heels of the decade that brought us Motown/Stax/Atlantic, but the Philly Sound was [[for me, anyway) just as beautiful. It got couched between the '60s and disco, and I think people don't see it as being as relevant either. And Tavares reminds me of the '70s as much as the O'Jays, Teddy Pendergrass, EW&F, and any other act.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Flood of memories came back to me watching this...Dang, we had music for days back then...
    That was the same year as Marvin Gaye's Let's Get It On. We had a friggin' buffet table
    of music throughout the 70's for sure. Inspired by this very well done, though I know,
    lip synced performance I made another effort find that book but alas, no sellers online
    and the closest copy to me is in a library in Mass. 164 miles away! Shhhhhhh....
    Splanky, you go it! Right off the top my head without thinking about it. We had in that year "Leaving Me" by the Independants, "Call Me"- Al Green, "Give Your Baby A Standing Ovation"- The Dells, "Ain't No Woman Like the One I Got"- Four Tops, "Midnight Train to Georgia"- Gladys & the Pips and on and on and on [[no pun intended Gladys LOL!), Whew we had great albums and singles for days back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Man, I love '70s soul. It is underrated, coming on the heels of the decade that brought us Motown/Stax/Atlantic, but the Philly Sound was [[for me, anyway) just as beautiful. It got couched between the '60s and disco, and I think people don't see it as being as relevant either. And Tavares reminds me of the '70s as much as the O'Jays, Teddy Pendergrass, EW&F, and any other act.
    Same here Jerry. After not hearing all that great music for a good long while, I treasure it more now. From 1970-73 were great years for Classic Soul!

Do you remember this one from '74:

Although they switched the leads around a bit surely Chubby [[the one with the glasses) was the main lead singer?
    ...but I've got to agree with the applause for Never had a love like this before
    Last edited by soulwally; 05-21-2016 at 03:50 PM.

Great seventies group,my fav is[too late].

The Tavares are smoooooth and funkaay and disco-y, and just BRILLIANT! "Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel" is an absolute classic but this track from 1976 is a TUNE!!

"The Mighty Power Of Love" by Tavares
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 09-23-2016 at 09:24 PM.

Never heard this one before. It has bounce! LOL Thanks TomatoTom for sharing it.

Another one of my favorites by Tavares:

Never heard this one before. It has bounce! LOL Thanks TomatoTom for sharing it.
    It was a decent size hit in the UK in the late 70's.

Whatever the hell bounce is, it sure has it!!! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It was a decent size hit in the UK in the late 70's.
    Yea
    According to the Internet, it made #25 in early '77, which is actually not half bad!!

According to Wikipedia

"The Mighty Power Of Love" has a footnote in UK music history as the first single to be released commercially to stores in 12-inch format in early 1977.

Probably a load of nonsense but interesting nonetheless, LOL

Sorry, seems I'm slightly obsessed with Tavares today, but this is an EXCELLENT album track from 1976's 'Sky High!'

Apparently it has since been embraced by the Carolina Beach/Shag Music community, whatever that is!!
    Lol

Great great harmonies! Superbs seventies...!

My favorite album is [[I'm a Phillysound lover!)... Madame Butterfly produced by the great Bobby Martin [[RIP). The same year he produced another great and underrated album that sounds very similar [[bass lines specially) for Rocky Robbins.

Recently, I discovered a very good cover by a pop-rock artist, Bill Champlin, of a song that I think is originally by The Tavares, "I Don't Want You Anymore" [[!!??... perhaps this one is the "original"...!)
    Last edited by manny; 09-24-2016 at 02:53 PM.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  21.1 KB
    I liked them best with their "Chicago Sound" work with Carl Davis, as Chubby and The Turnpikes on Capitol in the late '60s. But, uncharacteristic of my taste, usually disliking almost all post 1960s music, I do like Tavares' '70s music. I love "Heaven Must Be Missing an Angel".

As to their family name and origin, I suspect that it is a Portuguese name, rather than Spanish, as The Portuguese conquered and colonised The Cape Verde Islands and started the West African slave trade, before The Spanish took them over.

"Tavares" means: "descendant of the hermit" in both Portuguese and Spanish, and was likely a surname in the Iberian peninsular original derivitive language version of Latin, before it split into Portuguese, Castillian[[Spanish), Galician, Catalan different dialects, and eventually, different languages. The name originally came from West Semitic Canaanite through Phonaecian, and then Punic [[Carthaginian) into the Iberian Latin dialect, probably as early as the 2nd Century B.C.
    Last edited by robb_k; 09-24-2016 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 1035
    I liked them best with their "Chicago Sound" work with Carl Davis, as Chubby and The Turnpikes on Capitol in the late '60s. But, uncharacteristic of my taste, usually disliking almost all post 1960s music, I do like Tavares' '70s music. I love "Heaven Must Be Missing an Angel".

As to their family name and origin, I suspect that it is a Portuguese name, rather than Spanish, as The Portuguese conquered and colonised The Cape Verde Islands and started the West African slave trade, before The Spanish took them over.

"Tavares" means: "descendant of the hermit" in both Portuguese and Spanish, and was likely a surname in the Iberian peninsular original derivitive language version of Latin, before it split into Portuguese, Castillian[[Spanish), Galician, Catalan different dialects, and eventually, different languages. The name originally came from West Semitic Canaanite through Phonaecian, and then Punic [[Carthaginian) into the Iberian Latin dialect, probably as early as the 2nd Century B.C.
    Robb you are correct, their family name is Portuguese. They are from New Bedford, Mass. Most of the population there are Portuguese or Cape Verdean. I spent quite a bit of time in New Bedford.

The Tavares Brothers are all so very talented. I wished they were recording more today.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Sorry, seems I'm slightly obsessed with Tavares today, but this is an EXCELLENT album track from 1976's 'Sky High!'

Apparently it has since been embraced by the Carolina Beach/Shag Music community, whatever that is!!
    Lol
    The Shag is a dance that mostly white kids did in Myrtle Beach, SC to any music they liked
    calling it "Beach Music" though it's known in the UK as Northern Soul, LA as Lowrider
    Music and in most of the rest of this country as R&B or Soul. The irony of the shag
    community is that though they loved to dance to [[primarily) black music they weren't
    all too keen on seeing black people, other than the performers themselves, especially
    on Myrtle Beach....
    Anyway, I found on Amazon folks selling the Tavares book but the cheapest is 113.00 bucks.
    The book is only 196 pages long, WTF?...And to top that, other sellers are pricing it up to
    1300 dollars...that's one musical story I won't be reading...
    Oh, and BTW, that closing falsetto testimony at the end of Remember...was always the sh*t,
    wasn't it?....

Views: 1022
    Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    The Shag is a dance that mostly white kids did in Myrtle Beach, SC to any music they liked
    calling it "Beach Music" though it's known in the UK as Northern Soul, LA as Lowrider Music and in most of the rest of this country as R&B or Soul.
    I know it wasn't your intent to imply that Beach Music is the style of ALL Northern Soul, or ALL Lowrider Music. Just for those who are less versed on all 3 scenes:

Shag music has a certain beat and is mid-tempo. For most of the Northern Soul Scene's existence, it's beat was very fast uptempo, and mid-tempo songs were not considered Northern Soul. Currently, those songs that would be considered Northern Soul, are just a subset of the total spectrum of Northern Soul. Most Low-Rider Music is made up of slow ballads. The mid-tempo songs, which would also be considered Beach Music, form only a small subset of Low Rider music.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 1022

I know it wasn't your intent to imply that Beach Music is the style of ALL Northern Soul, or ALL Lowrider Music. Just for those who are less versed on all 3 scenes:

Shag music has a certain beat and is mid-tempo. For most of the Northern Soul Scene's existence, it's beat was very fast uptempo, and mid-tempo songs were not considered Northern Soul. Currently, those songs that would be considered Northern Soul, are just a subset of the total spectrum of Northern Soul. Most Low-Rider Music is made up of slow ballads. The mid-tempo songs, which would also be considered Beach Music, form only a small subset of Low Rider music.
    Exactly, Robb, thanks for sharpening the focus on whatever may have seemed misleading
    about my initial comments. No, the three are not copy and paste identical. More like they
    overlap at places like the three ringed logo of the Olympics. I was always tickled by hearing
    folks praise the same song under different titles for the genre. Happens a lot these days on
    youtube. There's even a person on the site posting what they call Low-Rider Classics much of
    which is the classic soul I grew up listening to on the radio, as far back as A.M!...

Oh, thank you both for the information!

We had them over in the UK back in 2010 [[@ the Prestatyn Soul Legends Weekender) ... .... .... I wrote the bio on the group to go in the printed programme for the event. I described them as a .... ... soul group that had disco hits ... when they read that they were thrilled & I was adopted as an instant friend. Got to spend quite a bit of time with them all over those 4 days. We told them that their Chubby & T's cuts were still very popular and so they tried to get their music director [[a UK guy) to draw up sheets to a couple of those tracks for the band to play during their show.
    He knew better though & wouldn't do this .... so not to be outdone they tried parts of 2 songs accapella & it went down a storm. All their 70's hits were performed live as well & all had a great time.
    My fave Tavares LP is the great 'Madame Butterfly' ... Tavares singing Sam Dees .. it doesn't get any better ....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv6u7fk_8V8

This group sounds somewhat like Tavares to me. What do you think? I definitely remember this song, but not the group.....The Gibson Brothers: