[REMOVE ADS]

Bobby Darin - The Motown Years

I have not taken this new set off my MP3 player since I added it last weekend. I am so thankful that these songs were finally given a real release. Having the physical CD is so wonderful - I have read the booklet three times now! I have a question, though, that is not answered in the notes. When they released the CD of Darin: 1936-1973, why did they not use the mixes that were from that LP? The biggest difference is Blue Monday, which has a totally different feel than the original release. And Happy [[Love Theme From Lady Sings The Blues) has a great gospel flavored ending on the CD version. I'm happy we have both [[and grateful that all versions are on the new set), but why change them in the first place?

Thanks so much for the kind words! Unfortunately, none of our research turned up any conclusive explanation as to why the alternate mixes were used for the 1991 CD reissue. We did discover that Bob Crewe had experimented with a number of mixes of the tracks while assembling the album. It may have been simple human error that the alternates were pulled years later, or someone at the time might simply have preferred them. But in any event, I'm grateful that we have both versions of the album, with variations big and small, to enjoy! [[Especially the two radically different "Blue Monday"s!) Thanks again!
    Last edited by SecondDiscJoe; 05-12-2016 at 12:30 AM.

Wonder what's in the pipeline next SDJ.

Looking forward to buying this collection. Bobby Darin was one of the very best singers of his and any generation.

I received my copy the other day and have enjoyed it very much. I love Bobby Darin but didn't know he recorded for Motown so when I saw this advertised I pre-ordered it straight away. Thanks to whomever got this on the boards and prepared for release!

Quote Originally Posted by SecondDiscJoe View Post
    Thanks so much for the kind words! Unfortunately, none of our research turned up any conclusive explanation as to why the alternate mixes were used for the 1991 CD reissue. We did discover that Bob Crewe had experimented with a number of mixes of the tracks while assembling the album. It may have been simple human error that the alternates were pulled years later, or someone at the time might simply have preferred them. But in any event, I'm grateful that we have both versions of the album, with variations big and small, to enjoy! [[Especially the two radically different "Blue Monday"s!) Thanks again!
    Thanks, Joe. I always think there is a bona fide reason that something is done but am constantly reminded that might not be the case. Doesn't matter why, I guess, what matters is the completeness of the set!

A beef about the CD really. My copy of Bobby Darin's The Motown Years came in shrink wrap but still had a security [[?) strip along top of the CD case. This straddled front, top and back of the CD case such that the case cannot be opened without removal. I know it happens a lot with CDs but this strip makes a mess of the CD case. I find it hard to get off without a little scratching of the case, and once off there is always a mess of sticky residue which is unsightly and unwanted. Stays there for years sometimes. Kind of ruins the newness of the CD for me.

A bottle of Goo-Gone will remove any sticky residue quite easily.

Never heard of it. I've had a cheaper idea - I'll send the CD back for a refund.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Never heard of it. I've had a cheaper idea - I'll send the CD back for a refund.
    I've been using Goo-Gone on CD cases and so many other things around the house for years.

Goo-Gone can be found in the household aisle of a supermarket or pharmacy store...you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

Years ago while in the household aisle of my local supermarket this guy pointed to Goo-Gone and commented that if I wanted to make someone happy for Christmas I should put a bottle in their Christmas stocking.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    A beef about the CD really. My copy of Bobby Darin's The Motown Years came in shrink wrap but still had a security [[?) strip along top of the CD case. This straddled front, top and back of the CD case such that the case cannot be opened without removal. I know it happens a lot with CDs but this strip makes a mess of the CD case. I find it hard to get off without a little scratching of the case, and once off there is always a mess of sticky residue which is unsightly and unwanted. Stays there for years sometimes. Kind of ruins the newness of the CD for me.
    Do you not buy CD's often? The security strip is pretty standard. As mentioned, Goo-Gone or lighter fluid works [[no joke).

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Do you not buy CD's often? The security strip is pretty standard. As mentioned, Goo-Gone or lighter fluid works [[no joke).
    I have also been known to use peanut butter.