[REMOVE ADS]

Prince ~ betcha by golly wow

He didn't do many covers but this I enjoyed

Glen, do you know what year this was done?

Here's the original by its composer.....Connie Stevens titled Keep Growing Strong. Who would believe Prince would cover a Connie Stevens record?

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Here's the original by its composer.....Connie Stevens titled Keep Growing Strong. Who would believe Prince would cover a Connie Stevens record?
    In all honesty Prince didn't cover a Connie Stevens record, he covered a Stylistics record.
    It doesn't matter if Connie's was the original. It's like saying Ice T's version of Hey Joe was
    him covering a Billy Roberts record just because Billy did the original. Ice T was covering
    and tributing Jimi Hendrix...but hey, it's all good...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    In all honesty Prince didn't cover a Connie Stevens record, he covered a Stylistics record.
    It doesn't matter if Connie's was the original. It's like saying Ice T's version of Hey Joe was
    him covering a Billy Roberts record just because Billy did the original. Ice T was covering
    It was definitely a cover of the Stylistics recording in that Prince grew up at the same time as I did and the Stylistics were extremely popular in the early 70s. Today is the first time I heard that Connie Stevens recorded the song.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Whoever uploaded this video to Youtube is off by about 5 years. The show "Shivaree" where this came from was not on the air by 1970.

I think that video of Connie Stevens was purposefully chosen to highlight the incongruous origins of a song that became a landmark recording in R&B/Soul. For the record, I believe the Phyllis Hyman/Norman Connors recording is the definitive version. While Prince's falsetto version mirrors the Stylistics', don't think he could have failed to notice Phyllis' emotive reading of the song.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Surely you don't mean that Connie Stevens wrote the song, Mike? Credit has always been to Thom Bell & Linda Creed. It's great to hear Connie's original though. I'm still waiting and hoping for a company like Ace to put together a compilation of lesser known Thom Bell recordings like this.

Alan, you are of course correct, scratch the composer credit for Connie..... Cheers Mike

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Glen, do you know what year this was done?
    Prince released his remake of The Stylistics' "Betcha By Golly Wow" in 1996 on the triple-disc album Emancipation.