[REMOVE ADS]

Gerri granger - darling take me back [[i'm sorry)

Further proof that we just had too many great singers and songs in the 60s and 70s. Give a listen to Gerri Granger here:

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  21.1 KB
    Super well-written song by Lawrence Weiss. But, I like Lenny Welch's version better.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 217
    Super well-written song by Lawrence Weiss. But, I like Lenny Welch's version better.
    Robb I can always count you to contribute something I would not have known. I did not know Lenny Welch recorded this song. I am going to look up his version too. Gerri does just a great job with it and it is a perfect Pop/Soul song [[thank you Mr. Weiss). I am miffed why it was not a huge hit. I probably heard it around the time of it's release back in '71, but hearing it now just feels so good.

Views: 208
    Here it is with Lenny lip-sinking to it:
    Last edited by robb_k; 05-24-2016 at 10:19 PM.

Views: 219
    The great Ray Pollard sang it, as well:
    Last edited by robb_k; 05-24-2016 at 10:19 PM.

Duplicate post

Views: 208
    Here it is with Lenny lip-sinking to it:
    Great version, a little different twist to it. Lenny was a powerful vocalist.

Views: 219
    The great Ray Pollard sang it, as well:
    Ray Pollard, another power vocalist. This version reminds me of the late 50s, early 60s Brill Building Sound or something Scepter Records would have produced with Luther Dixon.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Ray Pollard, another power vocalist. This version reminds me of the late 50s, early 60s Brill Building Sound or something Scepter Records would have produced with Luther Dixon.
Views: 205
    Ray was then with UA. He moved there from Cub/MGM along with his group, The Wanderers. You were right about The Brill Building sound, as his producer was Pop producer, Gerry Granahan.
    Last edited by robb_k; 05-25-2016 at 10:01 PM.

Robb, all three versions of this magnificent song should have been, could have been huge hits. I guess the old saying of promotion and maybe a little payola would have helped. I don't know. I just cannot understand how these high quality records did not make it big.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Robb, all three versions of this magnificent song should have been, could have been huge hits. I guess the old saying of promotion and maybe a little payola would have helped. I don't know. I just cannot understand how these high quality records did not make it big.
Views: 214
    There are literally thousands more that were that good, that almost no one has heard.

Views: 214
    There are literally thousands more that were that good, that almost no one has heard.
    Today there are about 10-15 rather mediocre acts that are huge. Darn! LOL~!

Lenny's version is real popular in NJ still- I always get requests for it on my radio shows. Then again, we're both from Asbury Park - - so that gave him an "in" [[with me and my local radio audience) anyway. I'm not sure if he recorded it on one of our shows, I know we did his "Ebb Tide" as yet unreleased in my vaults. Lenny like Mel Carter are amazing powerful pop soul vocalists.

Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
    Lenny's version is real popular in NJ still- I always get requests for it on my radio shows. Then again, we're both from Asbury Park - - so that gave him an "in" [[with me and my local radio audience) anyway. I'm not sure if he recorded it on one of our shows, I know we did his "Ebb Tide" as yet unreleased in my vaults. Lenny like Mel Carter are amazing powerful pop soul vocalists.
    Mel Carter is another great power vocalist.