[REMOVE ADS]

Why Can't Mary & Former Sups Get Their Product Out?

I came up with the following thoughts after reading a piece on The FLO's "Supremely Yours II" project... recorded several years ago, yet [[with the exception of 4 tracks made available on iTunes last year) still unreleased.... I am also frustrated that Mary Wilson's "Clarity" / "Life's Been Good To Me" album never came out... and there are other such projects in various states of limbo.

I know putting out physical CD's is expensive, and once the CD's are created, there has to be some place and mechanism to actually sell them. In this weird day and time when so much is digital and when record stores are so few and far between, I do understand many of the problems associated with artists issuing independent album projects on CD... BUT, IT CAN AND DOES HAPPEN, and independent releases can gain a lot of traction or at least be profitable enough to pay for the recording costs and manufacturing of the discs.

I immediately think of Marie Osmond's new release, "Music Is Medicine," on her own Oliveme Record label. She put it out there, promoted the heck out of it with radio interviews, Social media posts, and autograph signings in Walmarts and such stores, and it just debuted at #10 on the Billboard Country charts! Marie Osmond does not have a major label contract, yet she has just scored her first top ten album in 41 years! It can be done!

Another example is The Explorers Club, a great Beach Boys-influenced band out of Charleston SC. They have released three albums independently, and while they are far from reaching Gold status, I am told that their records [[CD's) sell enough to be profitable. Their latest album, "Together," comes out in June, but they began pre-selling it at the start of this year, again using social media platforms and so forth.

Other artists, well past their recording primes, keep finding labels to distribute their work. Rick Springfield is a good example; he keeps putting them out there, usually on a different label each go around, yet he finds a way to release his music. Darlene Love had a major label release back before Christmas, and country star Lorrie Morgan, who hasn't released new music for years, has TWO new albums out now, each on different small labels [[Shanachie and Cleopatra).

I don't understand it: How do artists like Ronnie Spector, who has just released her "English Heart" set, and The Three Degrees, with their "Strategy" album, get product out there, but The Former Ladies of The Supremes - an off-shoot of the most successful female group EVER! - and Mary Wilson - THE original Supreme for many people! - cannot get their completed albums released.

Wouldn't it be better to get the product out there and make a few dollars on it than to sit on it and make absolutely nothing???

Why wouldn't Cherry Red or Soul Music or Funky Town Grooves or one of those wonderful labels pick up the Mary album or the FLO's album? There may be a UK label that specializes in Northern Soul that would love to get hold of one of those projects...

Is this all a matter of people failing to make the right connections? Or Is it more a lack of drive and desire to get the records out?

Money is probably the bottom line, yet it makes no sense to spend all that money recording a project, then to just let it sit unreleased...
    Last edited by mistercarter2u; 05-02-2016 at 02:30 PM.

It's all those things underscored by it is not profitable or not profitable enough.

It's age; it's a lack of drive and being keen at 70 years old.

Digital might be part of an answer.

I also think that it's tougher for the FLOs and Mary Wilson; they were never individually as popular or profitable as Marie Osmond and the Beach Boys. Their market isn't very big and as we've been told by many people on here, if it is not physical, I won't buy it.

It's a shame but you pretty much spelled it all out.

The Three Degrees just put an album out there recently as well as The Sweet Inspirations a few years ago. I guess it can be done, but, good points made above.
    The Sweets available on CDBABY, Three Degrees on amazon.

Last edited by blueskies; 05-02-2016 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    It's all those things underscored by it is not profitable or not profitable enough.

It's age; it's a lack of drive and being keen at 70 years old.

Digital might be part of an answer.

I also think that it's tougher for the FLOs and Mary Wilson; they were never individually as popular or profitable as Marie Osmond and the Beach Boys. Their market isn't very big and as we've been told by many people on here, if it is not physical, I won't buy it.

It's a shame but you pretty much spelled it all out.
    Mary Wilson just had a hit record , so that is not it at all.
    Last edited by marv2; 05-02-2016 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercarter2u View Post
    I came up with the following thoughts after reading a piece on The FLO's "Supremely Yours II" project... recorded several years ago, yet [[with the exception of 4 tracks made available on iTunes last year) still unreleased.... I am also frustrated that Mary Wilson's "Clarity" / "Life's Been Good To Me" album never came out... and there are other such projects in various states of limbo.

I know putting out physical CD's is expensive, and once the CD's are created, there has to be some place and mechanism to actually sell them. In this weird day and time when so much is digital and when record stores are so few and far between, I do understand many of the problems associated with artists issuing independent album projects on CD... BUT, IT CAN AND DOES HAPPEN, and independent releases can gain a lot of traction or at least be profitable enough to pay for the recording costs and manufacturing of the discs.

I immediately think of Marie Osmond's new release, "Music Is Medicine," on her own Oliveme Record label. She put it out there, promoted the heck out of it with radio interviews, Social media posts, and autograph signings in Walmarts and such stores, and it just debuted at #10 on the Billboard Country charts! Marie Osmond does not have a major label contract, yet she has just scored her first top ten album in 41 years! It can be done!

Another example is The Explorers Club, a great Beach Boys-influenced band out of Charleston SC. They have released three albums independently, and while they are far from reaching Gold status, I am told that their records [[CD's) sell enough to be profitable. Their latest album, "Together," comes out in June, but they began pre-selling it at the start of this year, again using social media platforms and so forth.

Other artists, well past their recording primes, keep finding labels to distribute their work. Rick Springfield is a good example; he keeps putting them out there, usually on a different label each go around, yet he finds a way to release his music. Darlene Love had a major label release back before Christmas, and country star Lorrie Morgan, who hasn't released new music for years, has TWO new albums out now, each on different small labels [[Shanachie and Cleopatra).

I don't understand it: How do artists like Ronnie Spector, who has just released her "English Heart" set, and The Three Degrees, with their "Strategy" album, get product out there, but The Former Ladies of The Supremes - an off-shoot of the most successful female group EVER! - and Mary Wilson - THE original Supreme for many people! - cannot get their completed albums released.

Wouldn't it be better to get the product out there and make a few dollars on it than to sit on it and make absolutely nothing???

Why wouldn't Cherry Red or Soul Music or Funky Town Grooves or one of those wonderful labels pick up the Mary album or the FLO's album? There may be a UK label that specializes in Northern Soul that would love to get hold of one of those projects...

Is this all a matter of people failing to make the right connections? Or Is it more a lack of drive and desire to get the records out?

Money is probably the bottom line, yet it makes no sense to spend all that money recording a project, then to just let it sit unreleased...
    Mary Wilson has product out. "Time to Move On" [[the Remixes).

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Mary Wilson has product out. "Time to Move On" [[the Remixes).
    http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...-pop-exclusive

Thanks Bluekies!

Thanks Bluekies!
    You're welcome, Marv. NOW....if Mary would do a jazz album....it's early Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    You're welcome, Marv. NOW....if Mary would do a jazz album....it's early Christmas!
    Yes.....a studio Jazz album that would include a studio recording of "My World Is Empty....." Hallelujah!

Mary Wilson just had a hit record , so that is not it at all.
    It got some dance club play, sold 248 copies. No one other than us old fart fans like you and me know who these people are!!

Sorry but true!

I agree that a lot of younger folks do not know these artists, but the fact remains that there are a number of us "old farts" who would absolutely love to get new music from these artists. It makes no sense that they record the music, but then never make those projects available. If nothing else, they could press the friggin' CD's and sell them following their concerts. They might not sell huge quantities at once, but over time, they would move enough to cover costs and make a few bucks.

I have seen Mary Wilson twice this past year; she is great about coming out after shows and mingling with fans and signing autographs, but what she has to sell is pitiful. She has a few copies of her "Dreamgirl" book, some glossy 8 x 10 photos, and a re-pressing of her Up Close Vegas CD, NOT in the original cover, but in plain white CD envelopes! Evenso, she always sells a few copies of these items following each show. How much better it would be if she had copies of her "Life's Been Good To Me" CD available....new, real product. I have recorded CD's of my own, and the investment in manufacturing 5000 - 10,000 copies with inserts in jewel cases is not all that high. Even I have been able to make back the money and turn a tiny profit.

Again, though, I wonder why Mary's managers or the managers for Scherrie and Lynda do not shop their unreleased albums to Soul Music / Cherry Red or one of the other labels I mentioned above. If those labels were interested enough to issue The Three Degrees' "Strategy" on CD, perhaps they would also welcome a new Mary CD or a FLO's project.

As for Mary's dance "hit," Yeah, she had a chart record, but dance tracks do not really sell many copies on CD or as downloads. They just get played in clubs. That is cool, but not really enough... I know Sweet Feet sold a few copies of the Mary song on CD via Facebook and other outlets, but that disc was not commercially available. I would love to know how many legal downloads "Time To Move On" sold...
    Last edited by mistercarter2u; 05-03-2016 at 09:49 AM.

I agree that a lot of younger folks do not know these artists, but the fact remains that there are a number of us "old farts" who would absolutely love to get new music from these artists. It makes no sense that they record the music, but then never make those projects available. If nothing else, they could press the friggin' CD's and sell them following their concerts. They might not sell huge quantities at once, but over time, they would move enough to cover costs and make a few bucks.

I have seen Mary Wilson twice this past year; she is great about coming out after shows and mingling with fans and signing autographs, but what she has to sell is pitiful. She has a few copies of her "Dreamgirl" book, some glossy 8 x 10 photos, and a re-pressing of her Up Close Vegas CD, NOT in the original cover, but in plain white CD envelopes! Evenso, she always sells a few copies of these items following each show. How much better it would be if she had copies of her "Life's Been Good To Me" CD available....new, real product. I have recorded CD's of my own, and the investment in manufacturing 5000 - 10,000 copies with inserts in jewel cases is not all that high. Even I have been able to make back the money and turn a tiny profit.

Again, though, I wonder why Mary's managers or the managers for Scherrie and Lynda do not shop their unreleased albums to Soul Music / Cherry Red or one of the other labels I mentioned above. If those labels were interested enough to issue The Three Degrees' "Strategy" on CD, perhaps they would also welcome a new Mary CD or a FLO's project.

As for Mary's dance "hit," Yeah, she had a chart record, but dance tracks do not really sell many copies on CD or as downloads. They just get played in clubs. That is cool, but not really enough... I know Sweet Feet sold a few copies of the Mary song on CD via Facebook and other outlets, but that disc was not commercially available. I would love to know how many legal downloads "Time To Move On" sold...
    I don't believe anyone of Mary Wilson's age group is trying to attract younger folks if so, they would be doing hip-hop. There are fewer "Young folk" now, than in the sixties so their target market is not as crucial as it use to be to make a good living in entertainment.

Mary will more than likely release an CD of all new material before her "Clarity" CD comes out. This not something unheard of. There are tons of CD's by artists that have not been released.

You are completely right. Many very obscure artists get releases and never were part of any group of Supremes let alone an original.

But when you get right down to it, it has to be a cost and return issue. If there was money to be made, the artist and their manager would do it - but the return isn't great enough