[REMOVE ADS]

Leslie Uggams Joins the Cast of "EMPIRE"!

Super talented and former Motown recording artist, Leslie Uggams joins the cast of the hit television series "Empire" playing Luscious Lyons' [[Terrence Howard) mother.

http://www.ibtimes.com/empire-season...-cried-2361086

Yes! I was catching up on episodes last night and saw her. Good to see her on TV again. People always thought my mom resembled her.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Yes! I was catching up on episodes last night and saw her. Good to see her on TV again. People always thought my mom resembled her.
    Just think, she first appeared on national television back in the 50s!

Also, she appeared on the same episode of The Ed Sullivan Show [[27 December 1964) as the Supremes, their first appearance with Come See About Me. A historic moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Also, she appeared on the same episode of The Ed Sullivan Show [[27 December 1964) as the Supremes, their first appearance with Come See About Me. A historic moment.
    and she had her own weekly variety show in 1969!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Super talented and former Motown recording artist, Leslie Uggams joins the cast of the hit television series "Empire" playing Luscious Lyons' [[Terrence Howard) mother.http://www.ibtimes.com/empire-season...-cried-2361086
    This is great news thanks for sharing but I thought you called Empire filth and disgusting and said it may not last. .im real surprised your happy about this news. http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...l=1#post301979

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    This is great news thanks for sharing but I thought you called Empire filth and disgusting and said it may not last. .im real surprised your happy about this news. http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...l=1#post301979
    But I absolutely love Leslie Uggams!

But I absolutely love Leslie Uggams!
    Oh thats so nice.

I'm old enough to remember seeing Leslie every week on Sing Along with Mitch, which my parents would watch without fail [[and, annoyingly, they would sing along, which I hated). The premise of the show was for the home audience to sing along with the performers while Mitch Miller [[top producer at Columbia) would "direct" with odd hand motions. I believe lyrics were subtitled at the bottom of the screen but my memory is fuzzy on that. Leslie was about eighteen I think and everyone thought she was just the cutest, sparkly little gal. Always energetic, dressed in bows and crinolines. She probably winces nowadays to remember that; it was so corny.

Last edited by BigAl; 04-30-2016 at 06:43 PM.

Of course, Leslie's really big break was landing the lead of Georgina in Hallelujah, Baby! on Broadway, and as we know she later was signed to Motown for a short time. Another oblique Motown connection to note is that Kim Weston [[after she left Motown) stepped into the Georgina role in that musical in the touring company.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Of course, Leslie's really big break was landing the lead of Georgina in Hallelujah, Baby! on Broadway, and as we know she later was signed to Motown for a short time. Another oblique Motown connection to note is that Kim Weston [[after she left Motown) stepped into the Georgina role in that musical in the touring company.
    Let's not forget her role as "Kizzy" in the 70s television mini-series "Roots". One of the most watched programs in television history!
    Last edited by marv2; 05-01-2016 at 01:42 AM.

And before all that, she was a child star on "Beulah." We're blessed to have her still here and working.

And before all that, she was a child star on "Beulah." We're blessed to have her still here and working.
    Yes we are blessed to still have her. Thank God!

And before all that, she was a child star on "Beulah."
    I'm about three or four years too young to remember when Beulah aired in prime time. I used to see it in syndication in the afternoons sometimes, but only saw episodes where Hattie McDaniel and, later, Louise Beavers played Beulah. Checking, I see that Leslie played Beulah's niece in the earlier episodes which starred Ethel Waters as Beulah. Like Amos 'n' Andy, the syndicated eposiodes were eventually pulled from broadcast in the early '60s because of the stereotyping of the characters [[which was why Ethel Waters quit after the first season). I wonder if any of the Ethel Waters episodes are available anywhere. I'd love to see Leslie as a child.

I guess I'm the only Marvel Comics fan here; I flipped when she showed up in one of 2016's biggest films thus far, the 'X Men' spin off "Deadpool" which is a hoot and a half..http://screenrant.com/deadpool-movie...leslie-uggams/

I'm about three or four years too young to remember when Beulah aired in prime time. I used to see it in syndication in the afternoons sometimes, but only saw episodes where Hattie McDaniel and, later, Louise Beavers played Beulah. Checking, I see that Leslie played Beulah's niece in the earlier episodes which starred Ethel Waters as Beulah. Like Amos 'n' Andy, the syndicated eposiodes were eventually pulled from broadcast in the early '60s because of the stereotyping of the characters [[which was why Ethel Waters quit after the first season). I wonder if any of the Ethel Waters episodes are available anywhere. I'd love to see Leslie as a child.

There use to be a company that sold all those 1950s TV shows on VHS and "Beluah" was one of them. I've only seen a couple of episodes in syndication on television.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    I guess I'm the only Marvel Comics fan here; I flipped when she showed up in one of 2016's biggest films thus far, the 'X Men' spin off "Deadpool" which is a hoot and a half..http://screenrant.com/deadpool-movie...leslie-uggams/
    I use to have a couple of hundred Marvel Comics from the 60s & 70s when I was a kid. I think a few may have survived at Mom's house.

Sometimes I think people forget that this woman has done it all! Thanks Jimi for that article!

giants! Lol!

Attachment 11276

Dino and Leslie :

With the Chairman!

I have a dvd called RARE TV COMEDY, issue by Alpha Home Entertainment. It contains an episode of BEULAH starring Ethel, with Dooley Wilson and Butterfly McQueen. I don't think Leslie is in this episode though.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I have a dvd called RARE TV COMEDY, issue by Alpha Home Entertainment. It contains an episode of BEULAH starring Ethel, with Dooley Wilson and Butterfly McQueen. I don't think Leslie is in this episode though.
    That may be the company I came across years ago. Also, there are many specialty, niche cable outlets now that air many of the old classic television programs.

Well, she did what she was suppose to do.........Leslie Uggams was spectacular on Empire last night! LOL!

yes!!! hopefully they'll keep her for a while,.....and then Deadpool 2!!

yes!!! hopefully they'll keep her for a while,.....and then Deadpool 2!!
    Jimi, she is the "Original Luscious"! Total OG - Gangsta! LOL!

When is Deadpool 2 suppose to come out?

it's only in the earliest stages.. the first one is still in theaters and then will be released on DVD, and then onto HBO/Showtime, etc... probably 2018 for #2!

it's only in the earliest stages.. the first one is still in theaters and then will be released on DVD, and then onto HBO/Showtime, etc... probably 2018 for #2!
    Wow, that long of a wait huh? Maybe they will move the date up some.

the Marvel movies, loaded with CGI special effects take a long time, but it could get a 2017 release

Well, she did what she was suppose to do.........Leslie Uggams was spectacular on Empire last night! LOL!
    Seems like Empire isnt on the thin ice that you thought it was or as filthy or as full of deviant activity that was bothering you last fall. http://soulfuldetroit.com/search.php?searchid=1009439

I havent seen this weeks but if Ms. Uggams was as spectacular as you claim im watching it on Demmand tonight.

Thanks.

Roberta