[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Would Like To Make Things Right Between Her & Diana

In part one of this two part interview Mary says that if she were leaving tomorrow, she would make things right with Diana. Short interview. Don't know why it has tob e separated into two parts and that we have to wait for the second part.

By Stacey Tisdale+ | April 29, 2016
    When I begin my interview with legendary singer and original member of The Supremes, Mary Wilson, I began by asking her a question that the great financial advisor George Kinder asks his clients before he helps them create a financial plan: If you found out you were going to leave the planet tomorrow, what would be your biggest regret?

Kinder asks his clients this in order to help them identify their most important values, so that they can lay the foundation for a financial blueprint that is in-line with their values.

Wilson’s answer made it clear that relationships, particularly hers with her former band mates, were front and center. “If I was leaving tomorrow, I would make things right with Diana,” referring to Supremes lead singer Diana Ross.

Wilson and Ross had a falling out after the release of Wilson’s book Dreamgirl: My Life As a Supreme, in 1986.

In addition, Wilson says she deeply regrets that she didn’t have the knowledge to help the other member of the original Supremes, Florence Ballard, who lost her battle with alcohol and depression in 1976.

Wilson’s experiences of wealth and loss have also changed her perspective on what it means to have a healthy relationship with money, as she shared with me in our discussion.

BlackEnterprise: What has all that you’ve been through, with the Supremes and before, taught you about money?

Wilson: Money does not define who you are, but often one finds that out too late. I was always happy until I found out that my mom, IV Pippins, and my dad, John L. Pippins, were not my mom and dad. I never asked why my name was Mary Wilson and not Pippins. I was a very happy child who always had lots of pretty little cute dresses, and bows in my hair, and I wore white patent leather shoes…. Because I always had everything I could possibly want, even my own bedroom, it never occurred to me that we were possibly poor, or that we were even black.

Money was never an issue, that is until I turn 10, and had to be moved to the Brewster projects to live with my biological mother, Johnnie Mae, and siblings, Catherine and Roosevelt.

Johnnie Mae was a domestic worker who gave up her first child, me, until she could get back on her feet. Now with 3 children, she had to seek help from the government, welfare. Despite it all, I learned to love my new family, and love my new home in the Detroit projects. Money to this day has never defined who I am inside.
    http://www.blackenterprise.com/money...ballard-money/

The second part of this interview was published this week. She talks about her corporate gigs drying up after the recession, saving for a rainy day and her current financial situation.

She says that money can make life easier, she has had a great life, but if she saved, it would be even better now.

She is not alone. Many people can say the same.

By Stacey Tisdale+ | May 4, 2016
    In the first part of our interview with legendary singer and original member of the great Supremes, Mary Wilson shared that she deeply wants to restore her relationship with the group’s lead singer Diana Ross and that she wished that she could have helped original member Florence Ballard with her problems with alcohol and depression.

Through her childhood experiences and the financial success that came with the Supremes, Wilson says she has learned a lot about her relationship with money. She continues to share her insights with BE.com.

Tisdale: Going from difficult financial circumstances to great wealth proves challenging for a lot of people. What was your experience?

Wilson: I have learned that having money can make life easier, but if you don’t invest or save for that rainy day, it can be devastating. I’ve also learned the dangers of believing that that rainy day will never come.

After graduating high school, my thinking was that if I got a hit record it would secure my future. At the age of 20, we got our first million-selling record. My future was secured, and after five consecutive No. 1 records, I was convinced.

I was making so much money, and thought I was doing the right thing by hiring accountants, managers, PR firms, etc. The spending, however, was too much. I always thought, however, that I would catch up but I was never ahead.

Tisdale: How has that played out?

Wilson: After many years of this cycle, the Depression hit. Work in the corporate shows I had been doing dried up. Also, fighting some bad lawsuits, where people were chasing the name of the Supremes, and fake groups took the savings I had. I also loaned money to others that I never got back. I realized that this was the rainy day people talked about. Now, after 60 years, I find myself having to work, and think about all the money I threw away. All I can say for myself is that I should have listened to them and they said save for that rainy day. However, thank God I love what I do and still have a voice. Mom was right; a better education would have certainly helped.

So yes, money can make life easier, as I have had a great life, had I saved, however, it would be even better now.

An eye opener

What did she do to Diana Ross that she had to make up for?

And she hasn't enough money so she had to work?

Amazing thoughts so late in life

I'm a Mary Wilson fan, first and foremost, but.. C'mon.. THE BOOK!.. really?

and letting emotion take over again, she stepped out of the "Return To Love" option, millions of dollars which could have been her nest egg, and RTL itself would have been a stepping stone to bigger and better gigs, maybe a regular spot of a show like "The View"; she could have complained about Diana all day long AFTER taking advantage of these sort of things, and now she realizes the cost of that.. hope the 'dance singles' releases help her get a better footing now..

As we've been given to understand, sadly, Mary was more or less coerced by her publisher into underscoring so many negative aspects of her relationship with Diane and downplaying or even omitting many of the positive ones because happy stories don't sell books. Often we do things we'd prefer not to for the sake of financial solvency, but it does seem that it could have been handled better than it was, and it's regrettable that it played out as it did. I certainly cringe every few pages while reading it. It altered my view of the two individuals and not in a good way.

Her refusal to accept the terms of Diane's RTL deal was hubris-based and she probably should not have walked away from the table, but her feelings were hurt not only by the financial inequity of the offer but also by Diane's not wanting to negotiate with her face-to-face. Diane was probably still smarting from her portrayal in Dreamgirl and possibly felt it better to let her "people" do the negotiating in order to keep emotions out of the equation had the two sat down together and discussed it, so miscommunication is probably the culprit there. Still, had Mary [[and, consequently, Cindy) come on board, it's my understanding that it would only have been for a portion of a larger "Diana Ross Show," and Mary wasn't comfortable with that, either. Still, she'd have cleaned up, even with the initial offer, and she probably should have swallowed her pride and gone for it, but she opted instead to be a person of principle. I think I'd have said, "Principle be damned. Give me the money." It would have gotten so much good press and likely upped Mary's asking price for subsequent solo gigs as well. But, we must remember, considering the volatile nature of that relationship, it might possibly have imploded in a terrible way once the tour got started, and that would have been just awful.
    Last edited by BigAl; 05-05-2016 at 07:19 PM.

Instead, everybody's asking price went down I've read ~ because it was read as "people aren't that interested in Supremes".

It's a sad story here and pretty unlikely she has enough contact with Diane to do anything about it.

At least one of them has moved on to Grandchildren and resting on a blessed life and career.

Big Al you are dead on...
    The only hurt part of it all that is not magical is that the dream turned into a nightmare. However, we still have them here with us and they are still performing so lets remain in the dream.

still, they might surprise us, you never know!

NOW, after all this time
    then she should have done RTL instead of all the non sense.
    she was told not to announce the RTL until the deal was signed but she told everyone she was going on tour with Diana and Cindy but then didn't.
    but then claimed she was called so late in the game, like a year notice wasn't enough? now she wants to make it right. yeah ok. to late now.

everyone play nice now.. we're all human after all

Slow it down a bit, some of you are reading too deeply into this.

I actually agree that Mary should be commended for the sentiment and the thoughts; it's only an acknowledgement that she is human and we all make errors and have changes of heart. It's positive.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I actually agree that Mary should be commended for the sentiment and the thoughts; it's only an acknowledgement that she is human and we all make errors and have changes of heart. It's positive.
    Too bad the other one doesn't follow suite, then maybe there will be healing.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Too bad the other one doesn't follow suite, then maybe there will be healing.
    I suspect the other one and her family would consider Mary unreliable and untrustworthy and would see no value in it

it's easy for someone who did the attacking to say ok, now let's be friends...
    having been betrayed by 'friends' myself, I know that even if we resume talking at some point,you may attempt to forgive but you never forget...you never look at that person the same way ever again..and the other one grossed over 10 million dollars doing shows last year and will do the same this year

It's just not ever gonna amount to much of anything ; way late

as for my comment, I feel I was playing nice....just offered my opinion.
    we all waited and hoped for a reunion that never happened. it was sad.
    it is their legacy, and if they choose to leave it this way ,so be it. if this is how they want to be remembered.
    I choose to remember the music and let it go. but I think an apology may be to late but it may be worth a try.
    if I offended someone, I apologise, it was not my point to do so.
    I think the apology was needed in 2000 .just my opinion. it would have been nice had it happened .these ladies broke the barriers down, changed the world forever. these ladies are pioneers. they both deserve respect as both are talented, I suppose the bottom line is I wish they could see each other talents and respect each other.

I don't think anyone was offended, I just felt this could be the beginning of that slippery slope that used to happen here a lot, always became ridiculous, and never changed a single thing in the real world, it was always emotion driven, and just became tired after a while.. the ladies are human, and react to things as humans, and if this was ever going to happen, it would have been RTL.. so it's not happening and the world will continue to turn..

agreed Jim. but I did want to clear the air. I remember the things here from the past and it was not my intention to go there. just wanted to clarify. I wish the ladies could have made it happen for all of us

The women get on reasonably well considering how other ex band mates get on

they are both moms..Happy Mother's Day to both of them...

And grandmas which is even better

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    I'm a Mary Wilson fan, first and foremost, but.. C'mon.. THE BOOK!.. really?

and letting emotion take over again, she stepped out of the "Return To Love" option, millions of dollars which could have been her nest egg, and RTL itself would have been a stepping stone to bigger and better gigs, maybe a regular spot of a show like "The View"; she could have complained about Diana all day long AFTER taking advantage of these sort of things, and now she realizes the cost of that.. hope the 'dance singles' releases help her get a better footing now..

she DIDN'T 'step out' she accepted a much improved offer from the producers of RTL [[ I was actually in her dressing room that day by sheer fluke)... It's well documented that after she accepted the offer then was pulled.

you know what we all make bad decisions, financial investments etc in life and financial disasters are a common thread in a lot of former Motown artists stories

Quote Originally Posted by mwmr View Post
    she DIDN'T 'step out' she accepted a much improved offer from the producers of RTL [[ I was actually in her dressing room that day by sheer fluke)... It's well documented that after she accepted the offer then was pulled.

you know what we all make bad decisions, financial investments etc in life and financial disasters are a common thread in a lot of former Motown artists stories

Yeah that's right. Diana Ross had the offer that Mary accepted withdrawn and said that sorry, the train has already left station. So when
    I read all this shit, I know that it was Diana Ross' fault why there was no reunion tour. She is then one that refuses to do it for the fans and Mary Wilson has long moved on with her career.

Quote Originally Posted by mwmr View Post

Very sad.

But I think perhaps the ticket prices were too high no matter what and the tour was too fluffed up with supporting everything.

This wasn't 1964, 1975, 1981 or even 1990. The demand for Motown everything was already significantly less than it had been.

let's just close this chapter..how long has that evening train been gone?

a REAL long time!

a lot of artists charge high ticket prices and people go o the shows and events.
    I also think that Mary's appearance on 20/20 ended the possibility of a reunion. once again Mary stated Diana was.....bla bla bla, and bla bla .I knew then. it wasn't going happen. the next night Diana was on with Barabra Walters and in the end stated I couldn't work with her now knowing she has such resentment against me. Mary's comments sealed her fate.just my opinion. no disrespect intended love both ladies ,both are talented. wish they showed the love to each other and gave each other their props

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    a lot of artists charge high ticket prices and people go o the shows and events.
    I also think that Mary's appearance on 20/20 ended the possibility of a reunion. once again Mary stated Diana was.....bla bla bla, and bla bla .I knew then. it wasn't going happen. the next night Diana was on with Barabra Walters and in the end stated I couldn't work with her now knowing she has such resentment against me. Mary's comments sealed her fate.just my opinion. no disrespect intended love both ladies ,both are talented. wish they showed the love to each other and gave each other their props
    We were all happy when that phony Supremes tour collapsed and burned. The public slapped Diana Ross down good! It was very embarrassing for her.

From Time Magazine.......

Attachment 11317
    Last edited by marv2; 05-09-2016 at 09:38 PM.

A Supreme tour is tragic...............................A Diana Ross tour is magical.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    We were all happy when that phony Supremes tour collapsed and burned. The public slapped Diana Ross down good! It was very embarrassing for her.

From Time Magazine.......

Attachment 11317
    I know; 700 seats; just $40. And then she ended up in the trailer courts in Florida. Shouldn't have ended that way, but alas................what went around, came around.

I know; 700 seats; just $40. And then she ended up in the trailer courts in Florida. Shouldn't have ended that way, but alas................what went around, came around.
    Yeah and Diana weighing God knows what, playing cruise ships for free.................That's when she's not playing the Fresno County Fair and coming in 3rd place to two unknown Country bands.

Just ignore him. Life is good, life is sweet. I could say much about this subject but my love and respect for both ladies is far more important than my contempt for negative people telling the same tired old stories time and time and time again. It really is time to move on.
    My final word on the subject. If only other people would follow suit.................

Amen...and women..

I listen to Bluebrock and Jimi.

I listen to Bluebrock and Jimi.
    Much respect to you jobetrob.

I've been reading various posts on this thread. Getting a little iffy in spots. Keep it cool gang.