[REMOVE ADS]

Found this 1971 Supremes thing in an old Billboard Magazine

Great find Jimi.

RossHolloway Guest
    So was there ever a live album recorded in Vegas?

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    So was there ever a live album recorded in Vegas?
    Yes there was but of course it never saw the light of day.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Yes there was but of course it never saw the light of day.
    I thought the only Live album from the 70s Supremes was their Live in Japan album. Do you know if the set list was the same?

notice they called her "jeanne' several times and tell that story of how the fans wrote in and requested "Touch" which was a fabrication, fans didn't even know that song existed until after the album was released, and her quote at the beginning was actually insulting to The Supremes legacy.. the Tops and The Tempts were still doing their hits [[even though David Ruffin was gone).. a lot of it sounded like hot air at the time and turned out to be exactly that.. can't believe I had this stashed somewhere for 45 years...lol

more to come, now that I've started digging..

That is a nice find. I had forgotten how they let Jean do press interviews back in the day. Thanks Jimi.

I thought the only Live album from the 70s Supremes was their Live in Japan album. Do you know if the set list was the same?
    It was similar but i think this was recorded a couple of years earlier. My US colleague said it was a great show despite the tensions within the group. I would love to hear it and we might just well hear it sometime soon.

my pleasure, Marv..

I believe George Solomon talked about this on one of the Nightflight shows. The group was trying out a completely new set list and I think that might be the reason the album was recorded. I don't think the set list lasted very long. If I remember correctly, I believe it was said they opened with "Day By Day" from Godspell and Mary had a few new solos.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 04-27-2016 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I believe George Solomon talked about this on one of the Nightflight shows. The group was trying out a completely new set list and I think that might be the reason the album was recorded. I don't think the set list lasted very long. If I remember correctly, I believe it was said they opened with "Day By Day" from Godspell and Mary had a few new solos.
    I think you may well be right here. Mary was just beginning to gain confidence as a vocalist and the writing was already on the wall about Jean's future in the group. I would love to hear it.

Here's a set list of a show from the Eden Roc in Miami that a soundboard tape was found for. A guy was soliciting opinions on another forum of how to get it released. [[I haven't heard it or know where to get it before anyone asks.)

The "New" Supremes - April 19 1970
    Intro 1:09
    Set Me Free 1:59
    Nothing Can Stop Us Now 2:35
    Something's Coming 2:05
    Tonight 1:21
    Dialouge 0:51
    Little Green Apples 2:48
    Walk On The Wild Side 3:18
    Dialouge II 0:38
    MacArthur Park 4:58
    The Happening1:28
    I Can't Take My Eyes Off of You 2:30
    Dialouge III 0:56
    You'll Never Walk Alone 3:51
    Don't Rain On My Parade 1:32
    Up The Ladder To The Roof 3:39
    Baby Love 0:46
    I Hear a Symphony 0:35
    Come See About Me 0:43
    Stop! In The Name of Love 0:59
    Love Child 1:04
    Someday We'll Be Together 3:21
    Oh, Happy Day 8:03
    THE EXODUS SONG aka THIS LAND IS MINE 3:16
    Outro 0:59

Great set kist but its a real short comcert based on my calculation its about an hour but i guess thats the length of nightclub and Vegas shows.

Roberta

Jean was articulate, well spoken and out spoken. I don't think Motown could have shut her up if they tried! That being said, I don't think any Supremes were really quoted here. This is just Motown's PR dept at work trying to generate interest in the new Touch single. There's not a lick of truth to most of the article. Jean gave great interviews.
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That is a nice find. I had forgotten how they let Jean do press interviews back in the day. Thanks Jimi.

Didn't Jean say something in support of the Black Panthers? I know Mary Wilson's brother Roosevelt was a Panther at one time.