[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Has prince died

Has prince died

Multiple sources including The Hollywood Reporter, Daily Mail, Fox, and TMZ are reporting that legendary performer Prince has apparently died at the age of 57 following a recent hospitalization???

Sadly it's true. What a shock. He was a unique and irreplaceable giant talent.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Sadly it's true. What a shock. He was a unique and irreplaceable giant talent.
    Im heartbroken over this but taking comfort that hes now in heaven.

CNN has confirmed it through his publicist. Just a few months ago we lost Vanity and now Prince.
    Last edited by marv2; 04-21-2016 at 02:55 PM.

Apparently he came down ill during a performance this week, and flying home they had to make an emergency landing along the way due to Princes health issue. My question is why was he in his studio and not in a hospital getting checked out. Isn't Minneapolis the home of the Mayo Clinic???

All majors reporting confirmation by Prince's publicist. He was found dead at Paisley Park.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Apparently he came down ill during a performance this week, and flying home they had to make an emergency landing along the way due to Princes health issue. My question is why was he in his studio and not in a hospital getting checked out. Isn't Minneapolis the home of the Mayo Clinic???

Yes they have the clinic there in Rochester, MN

It was the top news on French TV tonight. They even halted a programme to interrupt it with an up to date report. Tragic.

RIP Prince. Thank you for the music.

His Royal Badness. RIH my brother, you were a once in a lifetime talent.

Wow, Jobeterob, that article is a shock, saying he died of a weakened immune system due to HIV/AIDS. Assuming that's true, why would it be that his Jehovah's Witnesses faith keep him from getting proper treatment? Of course they are against the use of blood products, for which there are some starch based alternatives I believe, but I've never heard it said that they refused other traditional means of staving off disease [[like medication). I guess we'll learn more shortly, but if he could have been treated and chose not to be makes his death even more senseless.
    Last edited by kenneth; 04-21-2016 at 07:36 PM.

The cable news channels have been running this all day long non-stop! Amazing! I don't even think they did this fir Michael Jackson!

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    The cable news channels have been running this all day long non-stop! Amazing! I don't even think they did this fir Michael Jackson!
    Oh i think they did i remember real clearly Michaels death being on all day every day for at least a week and they carried his funeral live.

Roberta

Compared to how much buzz there is on social media and cable news, whose reporting since about 10:00 AM PDT, I am totally shocked by how few responses there is about this here.

There were primetime specials about the death of Michael Jackson for four weeks following his death. I've never seen anything like it. They even covered his funeral.

Consider: Michael. Whitney. Prince. Three artists who blew the doors off of racist top 40 radio programming [[and MTV's refusal to play the videos of Black artists) in the '80s are all gone, the oldest among them at 57 years of age. Were there any more influential artists in that decade?

Between them, they crossed over popular radio to such an extent that was never the same. Prince made the Minneapolis Sound huge with his records as well as Sheila E's, Vanity 6, The Time, and more. Michael was probably the most famous man alive when he died. And Whitney was beloved beyond her music. She was as admired as Beyonce is now.

They are all greatly missed.

The attention being paid to Prince today is unbelievable! It's much more than it was for Michael jackson and David Bowie. That says something!

The others may have broken down racial barriers, but Prince did more than that! he changed the culture!The PMRC tags on record covers is a result of his song! He made it OK for Black men to express their softer, and sexual side. He dated White women and no one cared. He was perhaps the first to have an all-female band and have a female chief recording engineer.

Mind boggling. The rest of the world is talking about, and paying tribute to one of the most important musicians around, and all this forum can come up with is 16 posts!

I think many are still in shock. That could explain only 16 posts???

But I was elsewhere paying tribute to His Royal Badness... may he RIP.

I always felt Prince was a more important musical figure than MJ and Bowie myself... the coverage for him shows he earned his megastar accolades as much as MJ and Bowie did.

And also, glad someone mentioned how he changed the landscape for black people in terms of his presentation:

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/21/1148168...ission-weirdos

I was just with Martha Reeves an hour and half ago and she fondly remembers Prince from his very early days when they worked together at the Roxy on Sunset Blvd in LA back in the late 70s.
    Last edited by marv2; 04-22-2016 at 01:38 AM.

Mind boggling. The rest of the world is talking about, and paying tribute to one of the most important musicians around, and all this forum can come up with is 16 posts!
    Soulster: I think in the last few months, the music posts have collapsed. Sometimes I look in at the motown forum and there is no movement and few posts. Perhaps many people are more on Facebook - it seems to have a group for everything ; kind of sad to me.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I always felt Prince was a more important musical figure than MJ and Bowie myself... the coverage for him shows he earned his megastar accolades as much as MJ and Bowie did.

And also, glad someone mentioned how he changed the landscape for black people in terms of his presentation:

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/21/1148168...ission-weirdos
    That's because Prince was everything! Songwriter, multi-talented musician, singer, arranger, producer, performer, talent scout, innovator, etc, etc, etc.

I was going to be the first person to post here about Prince's passing, but I passed on it because a few years ago you condemned people who come here to post deaths, but never post anything about the technicalities of making music. I can't talk about the technicalities of music as I do not have the interest or education that you have.

Didn't realize it till I read that post, but I guess I just avoided obituary postings since then.

However, I can talk about what music does to my ears. Prince's music was pleasant to my ears. His death is a tremendous loss to the music industry.

Last night, Jennifer Hudson, currently starring in THE COLOR PURPLE on Broadway honored Prince by singing Purple Rain with the cast after the show.

And also last night, the cast of Broadway's HAMILTON also paid tribute to him after the curtain. Still dressed in their founding father's garb, they were on stage using their happy feet dancing to the upbeat LET"S GO CRAZY.

Since Prince had no association to Broadway [[that I recall - I may be wrong) that is quite a tribute to the man, his music and his talent.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I was going to be the first person to post here about Prince's passing, but I passed on it because a few years ago you condemned people who come here to post deaths, but never post anything about the technicalities of making music.
    Let's get this straight: not condemn, but criticized the general vibe of nothing but death reports. And, then, it was always a hearsay, not factual.

Didn't realize it till I read that post, but I guess I just avoided obituary postings since then.
    Sorry. I did not realize that my criticism could have such an impact on you. I am a passionate kind of guy when it comes to music and audio. But, the sheer magnitude and impact of Prince's passing, and the virtual silence on this particular forum, is very odd!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Soulster: I think in the last few months, the music posts have collapsed. Sometimes I look in at the motown forum and there is no movement and few posts. Perhaps many people are more on Facebook - it seems to have a group for everything ; kind of sad to me.
    Thing of it is, I don't do Facebook for a number of reasons.

Let's get this straight: not condemn, but criticized the general vibe of nothing but death reports. And, then, it was always a hearsay, not factual.

Sorry. I did not realize that my criticism could have such an impact on you. I am a passionate kind of guy when it comes to music and audio. But, the sheer magnitude and impact of Prince's passing, and the virtual silence on this particular forum, is very odd!
    I apologize Soulster. I used the wrong word when I said condemn. Criticize is more appropriate.

I actually agree with much of what you say. There were many posts here of people dying and they were posted before it was confirmed because people wanted to be the first to post. Bill Cosby died three time on Facebook and that was posted here. Of course Cosby is still alive.

At least in this post Stubassi1 asked if the reports were true. He did not state rumor as fact.

I admire your passion for the technical aspects of recordings. I don't have it and at my advanced old age and hearing difficulties , I am glad to hear what I hear. I do, however, share your passion for music and that, we have in common.

I would like to say that you misinterpreted my words, but as you pointed out, I did use the wrong word, I apologize for that and hope this post clears that up. We all have one thing in common here. We love music.

And done. No harm.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I apologize Soulster. I used the wrong word when I said condemn. Criticize is more appropriate.

I actually agree with much of what you say. There were many posts here of people dying and they were posted before it was confirmed because people wanted to be the first to post. Bill Cosby died three time on Facebook and that was posted here. Of course Cosby is still alive.

At least in this post Stubassi1 asked if the reports were true. He did not state rumor as fact.

I admire your passion for the technical aspects of recordings. I don't have it and at my advanced old age and hearing difficulties , I am glad to hear what I hear. I do, however, share your passion for music and that, we have in common.

I would like to say that you misinterpreted my words, but as you pointed out, I did use the wrong word, I apologize for that and hope this post clears that up. We all have one thing in common here. We love music.
    Thanks, Milven. Prince's passing has me quite depressed.

I am gradually accepting that the culture of this place just ain't for me. I've passed the rebellion stage, still somewhat in the protest stage. It's like when old people feel disenfranchised, fight change, resign to the fact that it's going to happen and nothing they can do will stop it, and gradually withdraw, leaving some damage in the wake. But, I also don't see fresh, young people on this forum, either. That's what keeps me going, fresh faces, fresh opinions and philosophies.

For those of you not in Minneapolis, it's difficult to put into words the feeling that is in the air. EVERY news program; EVERY radio station has turned into all-things-Prince. Downtown has been a non-stop "party" for the last 24 hours; they anticipate it will last through the weekend, and into the next coming weeks. Some have likened the turnout to First Avenue and Paisley Park to Times Square on New Year's Eve. Buildings have "turned purple"; even the 35W bridge leading into the city is glowing lavender. It's unlike anything I've ever seen before. We've even declared today #PurpleForPrince day.

We're beyond pleased and touched that so many, even from the President himself, has acknowledged our local boy done good. Prince may have belonged to the world, but we'll always claim him as our brother.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    For those of you not in Minneapolis, it's difficult to put into words the feeling that is in the air. EVERY news program; EVERY radio station has turned into all-things-Prince. Downtown has been a non-stop "party" for the last 24 hours; they anticipate it will last through the weekend, and into the next coming weeks. Some have likened the turnout to First Avenue and Paisley Park to Times Square on New Year's Eve. Buildings have "turned purple"; even the 35W bridge leading into the city is glowing lavender. It's unlike anything I've ever seen before. We've even declared today #PurpleForPrince day.

We're beyond pleased and touched that so many, even from the President himself, has acknowledged our local boy done good. Prince may have belonged to the world, but we'll always claim him as our brother.
    Mary, I first met Prince in Minneapolis in 1988. First at the Pacific Club and then at Rupert's. He was a nice guy, even bought us a round of drinks [[at my insistence LOL). Everywhere we went during our 5 week stay there from First Avenue to Williams Uptown to the Loon Cafe the whole town seemed to talk about Prince! It was very clear that they loved him up there.

In 1990 he gave us tickets to his only
    North American concert that year over in St. Paul. front row, ringside seats! He was very alright with me!
    Last edited by marv2; 04-22-2016 at 01:21 PM.

LA Reid said today that Prince once explained that the "elevator" in "Let's Go Crazy" was a reference to the devil. He reminded the interviewer of the "we're not gonna let the elevator bring us down" line and how it's sadly ironic that he was found dead and alone in an elevator.

Compared to how much buzz there is on social media and cable news, whose reporting since about 10:00 AM PDT, I am totally shocked by how few responses there is about this here.
    I've read all of the comments on this thread but I decided to swing back to this one...A part
    of me was surprised by how few responses there were but for the most part I've noticed
    and accepted that SDF is not is close to what it used to be. So perhaps I'm posting in vain here but I do want to say I share your feelings about Prince because I greatly appreciated
    his work and career and the impact [[TREMENDOUS) he made on the American popular music scene with his own approach to entertainment. Miss the shit outta him and will for
    I know, for a long time. Didn't always agree with every move he made. Know there's gonna
    be some rank shit coming out in the media in days to come but don't care. There was only
    one Prince. Ask Patti Labelle, ask Nona Hendrix, George Clinton, Sheila E, Chaka Khan...They'll tell you. Even the late Miles Motherfunkin'Davis would tell you. There was only
    one Prince. RIP...

That's right, Splanky! There are all day and night parties going on in towns and cities all over the world, major stars, and even Pres. Obama have weighed in. There are tons of stories and interview clips of Prince around. [[My current favorite is the one where Bryant Gumbel asks him if he would wear his type of shoe, and Prince leans over, looks at them, sits back, and with a straight face says "Hell!" to the roaring laughter from the audience. But, this bunch at SDF acts like he was a small footnote. I mean, the man has reportedly recorded over 700 albums that are stored in his vaults at Paisley Park, not including the many top 10 and #1 albums and singles. Prince played with James Brown and Miles Davis! He produced every single one of his own albums. How many other teenagers get a major record deal and get total creative control right off the bat? Prince, that's who! Like David Bowie, he wore women's clothes, and he still looked good in them! And, he gave back to his fans.

I just don't get it. Maybe some SDF people could tell us what the issue is.
    Last edited by soulster; 04-23-2016 at 04:24 PM.

It's just too much to take in.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    It's just too much to take in.
    So, if he had done three albums that didn't chart, it would be easier to comment on?

What if he had worked with...um...I don't know...say...Diana Ross? Then would this forum be talking about him? Could you imagine the two control-freak prima donna divas in the same studio together? I know, i'm being evil.
    Last edited by soulster; 04-23-2016 at 04:28 PM.

No disrespect to this forum or its members but FB & Twitter seem to be the places to talk about everything these days. They are also immediate in real time so news travels at the speed of light! Gone are the days when music forums led the way. As Prince would have said it's a sign of the times. Also here in the UK we had the passing of much loved comedian Victoria Wood the day before from cancer aged just 62. The following day was the Queen's 90th birthday when about 6pm I heard that Prince had died. So it was a low/high/low. I think that many people are reeling from such an onslaught on their emotions. I know that I am

That's true that Twitter and Facebook are more immediate, and that's where most people are these days. The interaction is immediate, and everyone in the world sees what is written. And, it's a lot easier to use with a smartphone.

However, with message boards, there is a sense of community that is missing from the other social sites. And, you can take the time to compose your message and run it for as long as you need. The bonus is that you really don't have to deal with the jackasses who also post ignorant crap.

Prince cremated, private memorial service held

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/23/entert...ain/index.html

That's true that Twitter and Facebook are more immediate, and that's where most people are these days. The interaction is immediate, and everyone in the world sees what is written. And, it's a lot easier to use with a smartphone.

However, with message boards, there is a sense of community that is missing from the other social sites. And, you can take the time to compose your message and run it for as long as you need. The bonus is that you really don't have to deal with the jackasses who also post ignorant crap.
    Thank you!
    A lot of the stupid shit people like to post on their Facebooks or tweet off the top of their
    heads makes me glad I'm not standing anywhere near them....The funny thing is I have
    long held a lot of contempt for the mindset of most of our young people today but
    on their crop of music websites, of course Hip Hop orientated, they are remembering
    and discussing Prince elaborately. Ain't that some ish?......

So, if he had done three albums that didn't chart, it would be easier to comment on?

What if he had worked with...um...I don't know...say...Diana Ross? Then would this forum be talking about him? Could you imagine the two control-freak prima donna divas in the same studio together? I know, i'm being evil.
    Perhaps.

SD is a forum for soul music connoisseurs. It is not a place for knee-jerk reaction to the completely unexpected loss of a LEGENDARY [[a word that is too trite in this context) musical force in the genre. I've been fielding calls and e-mails from folks I haven't talked to in years about this loss. Prince was a profound cultural influence for me and my peer group during our formative years -- music, fashion, aesthetics, sexuality and sexual identity. But significantly the MUSIC.

I've been processing it in "analog" [[i.e. real-time conversation with friends/intimates) rather than joining the online/social media funeral cortege. In a few days, maybe weeks, I might have coherent thoughts to share at SD but maybe no one will care.

Prince's influence was far and wide. I first heard this one over 20 years ago and had to chuckle listening to a group from my Grandpa's day singing Prince! Check it out! The Ink Spots and "Purple Rain"

Last edited by marv2; 04-24-2016 at 10:43 AM.

Says 'this video is not available' Marv!

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Says 'this video is not available' Marv!
    Copley it plays for me. Refresh your page and then try again please.

Here is a direct link to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwxduKkuEbo

Nope Marv. Must be blocked in the UK!

Got it Marv. Used a Proxy and hey presto Good version. Thanks
    Last edited by copley; 04-24-2016 at 01:14 PM.

Im going to see Purple Reign tonight in Woodland Hills with my nephew and his partner and the theaters only charging $6.89 for tickets. Im wondering if thats how much it cost when it was first released in 1984. Been playing When Doves Cry and 1999 all weekend. If it was a prescription drug overdose Id be real surprised as Prince always struck me as a clean living man. This ones hit me harder than michael Jackson.

Bruce Springsteen opened his show last night by singing "Purple Rain". It seems as if the world itself is grieving. Sorry, my tablet won't let me embed the video.

https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=KkOxeKA2WNE

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Bruce Springsteen opened his show last night by singing "Purple Rain". It seems as if the world itself is grieving. Sorry, my tablet won't let me embed the video.

https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=KkOxeKA2WNE
    The World is definitely talking about Prince. They did 3 separate segments on him on the CBC's "The National" the other night.