[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Recollections

Recollections

Has anyone bought this book and would they recommend it please?

Recollections: The Motown Sound by the People Who Made It [[deluxe edition).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Recollection...eywords=Motown

I bought it in the 80's when it had this cover. I enjoyed it at that time because there were so few Motown books.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...4,203,200_.jpg

I have both books that are pictured in thread #1 and #2. The one from the 1980's is terrible.
    All the photos are with a reddish/pink background and in my opinion lousy. This was copyrighted 1982 by Whitlaker Marketing. There are 43 chapters each dedicated to one specific artist. There are some misspellings in this edition. For example, The Marvellettes. You and I know there is only one L in the groups name. And the Valladeers was another one. The table of contents at the beginning spells them correctly but at the individual sections that tell about the artist they are misspelled. I believe there were some others also in this first edition.

In 2012 there was a second edition published by Glendower Media, Whitmore Lake, MI.
    This is vastly improved from the first edition. It has the Motown Museum on the cover.
    For 28 years Jack Ryan has managed the former Motown artists, the Contours. One big improvement in this second edition at the end of each of the sections he names the current members, and has a roster of past members. There are also updates which were not in the first edition, i. e. Temptations inducted into the Vocal Group Hall of Fame in 1999. There are additional pictures in the second that did not appear in the first and they are all black and white, although not the clearest. The second edition is vastly improved from the first and there are numerous people and pictures included in that were not in the first edition.

I personally think it is a good investment and well worth the money. I do not recall how much I paid for it, but I don't think it was as much as Amazon.co.uk is charging. You might be able to locate it on Amazon.com for a lot less than the UK wants in view of the substantial shipping cost you would incur.

If you have any questions or want any more specifics, let me know. I will be glad to help you out.

Woodward, I think your post answered all Mysterysinger's questions. LOL

That's great Woodward and Xtown - thanks for the info. The price is bit of a put off but I think it might be worth the plunge.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Has anyone bought this book and would they recommend it please?

Recollections: The Motown Sound by the People Who Made It [[deluxe edition).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Recollection...eywords=Motown
    I wonder what makes it a Deluxe Edition?

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I wonder what makes it a Deluxe Edition?
    The price!!!

lol