[REMOVE ADS]

The Springers [[Cleveland)

The Springers were something of a ' throwback' by the mid 60's when they had their one & only US national hit; "I Know Why".
    I believe they had been around on the Cleveland music scene for a few years and were more of a doo-wop outfit than a soul group. Recording for Way Out, their 45's weren't well distributed but when "I Know Why" took off [[in Jan 65), the label secured a distribution deal with Atlantic [[I think I'm correct here, I haven't got my notes on them to hand).
    With the NY connection in place it was only natural that the group should land a gig at the Apollo ..... Cleveland music folklore says that they were the 1st Cleveland group to play the Harlem venue.
    But the success of their 45, the Apollo show [[& more) must have secured them a place on a package tour bill .......... this DC ad being proof of that fact ........
    Attachment 266

Anyone here know much more about the group, who enjoyed a few more 45 releases before they disappeared off the scene.

....... OFF THE NET .......
    The Springers from Cleveland, OH started recording in the mid-sixties but had a dated sound. Their first Way Out single "I Know Why," was a minor R&B hit in 1964; the slow, dripping doo- wop was the labels' biggest record and earned the Springers a week long gig at New York's famed Apollo Theater. Lester Johnson and Ike Perry, of Ike Perry & the Lyrics, produced the harmonic ballad written by Johnson, and Tyrone Henry, one of the Springers. The other members were Jeff Crutchfield, who became Jeff Dale with the Springers, James Dodson [[Sahibs, Crown Imperials), James McClain, and another member nobody can recall. They resided in Cleveland's Wade Park area, Crutchfield was born in Memphis, TN but moved to Cleveland with family when he was 12.

Way Out issued a second single, similar to the first, "Why," written by Henry & McClain, in 1965; A third and final single appeared later in '65, but "It's Been A Long Time" b/w "You Can Laugh," didn't generate much action and no more singles were issued. The Springers kept going, gigging at places like the Spaghetti Inn on Wade Park, the Red Carpet, the Circle Ballroom, and occasional treks to a club in Lorain, OH. There are some unreleased tracks laying around somewhere, a female who lived on Ansel Road, wrote songs that the Springers recorded but that remains unreleased.

Where are they now? Jeff Crutchfield was murdered, Dodson worked [[he may be retired now) for Ford; the whereabouts of Henry, McClain and the mystery member is unknown. Crutchfield operated a barbecue joint on the corner of 79th & Holton called Jeff & Al's, in the late sixties for a short time.

The Springers had been preceeded by an earlier Cleveland group, the Annuals.
    The Annuals had secured a recording contract through their manager, Marty Conn, who started Marrconn Records. When the group broke up, members went on to join the Springers [[ Jeff Crutchfield ) and Hesitations [[ Arthur Blakeley ).

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  21.1 KB
    Interesting that comedian, Scoey Mitchell, is on the bill with a song listed [[unless "Fun, As You Like It" is the name of his sketch for the show). Although, I do remember that he could sing, as well.

John--is that the same Jeff Dale that had a couple of singles on Atco?

Best,

Mark