[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Thanks Soulster I suspected something along those lines. It doesn't diminish my love for that 20 bit Greatest Hits CD [[remastered by Kevin Reeves) and that is the standard for myself by which at other CDs will be judged. Mono mixes are plentiful and I have those too, but in most cases, though not all, give me a decent stereo mix please. I didn't really grow up listening to Motown music so that radio sound means nothing to me.
    Well, it's not a "radio" sound at all. Many people have a gross misconception of what mono is. Mono can contain the full frequency spectrum and dynamic range of ant stereo mix. The only differences is that you don't have different elements coming out of different speakers.

Since I was alive in the 60s, I grew up on both stereo albums and mono 45s played on a hi-fi stereo. I own all the mono mixes on CD or lossless downloads, and most of the essential stereo mixes, most of which were produced by Harry Weinger.

One example of where I prefer the mono version is Martha's "Jimmy Mack". The stereo version that appeared on 16 Big Hits 8 doesn't sound as good but the stereo single mix is a lot better. Conversely, give me the stereo version of " Third Finger, Left Hand" anytime over the mono one.
    We all have our favorites regarding mono vs. stereo for any particular song, but, overall, if you want the actual hit versions, you have to go mono.

Agree with Mr Thread Killer about "My Girl". The Cooley High remix ended up lopsided because of how the track was originally recorded.

Also agree about "Ball Of Confusion", although I do have a sneaking affection for the 21st century stereo remix found on the US Psychedlic Soul double CD.

The original stereo mix of "Ball Of Confusion" also seems to have an unwanted and slightly out of tune additional vocal track by Eddie Kendricks in the first chorus. Yuk!

Quote Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
    Agree with Mr Thread Killer about "My Girl". The Cooley High remix ended up lopsided because of how the track was originally recorded.

Also agree about "Ball Of Confusion", although I do have a sneaking affection for the 21st century stereo remix found on the US Psychedlic Soul double CD.
    The stereo remix of "My Girl" that comes closest to the mono mix...and matches the mono 45 length, is found on the 2-CD set "The Motown Story: The 60s". But, it still isn't the single and has faults. And, like you said, it is all because of how the song was recorded and mixed. It started out on a four-track, then they transferred it to eight-track and worked on it some more. But, by the time they did the transfer, a considerable amount of bouncing had already taken place.
    Last edited by soulster; 04-14-2016 at 08:43 AM.