[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: 45's ONLY??

45's ONLY??

Hey gang,you know me,always tryin to come up with that unasked question,now i know that musically we discuss everything under the sun and perhaps this may have been asked,oh well anyhow the question of the day is this...of all the great music collectors here is there one of you who only collect-45's?,i mean no albums just 45's...get back to me.

Well, I do collect 45s...

I'm sure you do soulster,but is it only 45's?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I'm sure you do soulster,but is it only 45's?
    I'm sure that not a single person here only collects 45s and nothing else. There's too much music in the world to restrict oneself to one format, let alone an almost dead format.

Why would that interest you, anyway?

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  21.1 KB
    Well, I have about 38,000 45s and only about 2,000 LPs, and maybe 200 78s [[I used to have about 600, but traded most of them for 45s). So, one could say I'm mainly a 45 collector. I NEVER bought any LPs new from a record shop when the record was out in first release. I've only picked up a few, here and there, when they were available at a ridiculously low price [[50¢ or $1,00).

I collect that rare 45 that was never released on an album. I have over 2,500 vinyl albums and perhaps fewer than 150 45's.

In the 60s I only collected 45s because I couldn't afford to buy LPs. That changed as soon as I left school.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    In the 60s I only collected 45s because I couldn't afford to buy LPs. That changed as soon as I left school.
Views: 157
    That has pretty much stayed true for me all my life. That's why I only have about 2,000 of them, with only a handful having cost me more than $1,00. Had new ones all been available for $1 or less, I'd have 20,000- 50,000 by now.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    i'm sure that not a single person here only collects 45s and nothing else. There's too much music in the world to restrict oneself to one format, let alone an almost dead format.

Why would that interest you, anyway?
    haaaaa,now soulster you've known me long enough to know why i ask these kinds of questions,and as for your statement above-there are some of us who may only like one format!!

...as for your statement above-there are some of us who may only like one format!!
    People who restrict themselves to only one format miss out on a lot of music. I'm not even talking about new music, but long lost old music that has turned up in other formats, and sound even better.

People who restrict themselves to only one format miss out on a lot of music. I'm not even talking about new music, but long lost old music that has turned up in other formats, and sound even better.
Views: 152
    People who collect one format may supplement their music in that firmat with music in another format, but just not consider the music in the other format part of their "collection". They have it just so they can hear the music, but it is not interesting to view with one's eyes. Also, music in the very same format may also NOT be considered part of the "collection". Maybe the "collection is only original vinyl records from 1935 to 1969, and vinyl records on oldies or reprints are not considered part of the "collection", but are there for listening, as the originals are too expensive to buy or impossible to find.

Oh an soulster,the way they are-rebooting things today,don't be surprised to see some[45's]pop up,i do believe that vinyl is being played again after being left for dead some time ago!!

Oh an soulster,the way they are-rebooting things today,don't be surprised to see some[45's]pop up,i do believe that vinyl is being played again after being left for dead some time ago!!
    I'm not seeing it. The only 45s I see are indie/local music, or ridiculous oldies pairings for Record Day.

I'm not seeing it. The only 45s I see are indie/local music, or ridiculous oldies pairings for Record Day. There are a lot of modern turntables that you can't even switch to 45 RPM withut removing the platter and moving the belt yourself.

See you said the word yourself[modern]my turntable ain't that old,but i can play 45's on it,never trust anything too modern.

There are a lot of modern turntables that you can't even switch to 45 RPM withut removing the platter and moving the belt yourself.
    Soulster you must talk about this pro-ject tuntable ?

You're right that's a drag ! But we [[they)still can find plenty of vintage turntables that are easier to work. And much more beautiful than this new s**t, too !

Personnally I collect LP's but I know that a lot of "Northeners" are only interested in 45.

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    Soulster you must talk about this pro-ject tuntable ?

You're right that's a drag ! But we [[they)still can find plenty of vintage turntables that are easier to work. And much more beautiful than this new s**t, too !

Personnally I collect LP's but I know that a lot of "Northeners" are only interested in 45.
    Direct drives are making a comeback, so switching the belt yourself on not just Pro-ject tables, but rega, Clearaudio, v.p.i, and others won't be an inconvenience, Also, if you do have a belt drive table, you might be able to get a speedbox which will make it as easy as pushing a button.

There are tons of new turntables on the market. They never stopped making quality turntables.