[REMOVE ADS]

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    we all know I adore DR, but when I found out that she had passed on "The Bodyguard" with Ryan O Neil, I threw my hands up in regard to a film career... just crazy!!
    I agree. I couldn't believe she didn't do "The Bodyguard". It would have been a big hit.

[QUOTE=greg jones;343035]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post

Bluerock...
    I do remember hearing about Diana working on the Josephine Baker project. One question that I was never quite sure on though, was it intended to be a big screen picture or tv film ?
    I don't want to answer for Bluerock. But it was first intended for the big screen. But Diana couldn't find the financing from a major studio. Then Ted Turner made a deal to do it for television TNT. I was upset at the time because I wanted it to be a major motion picture. I would take a TV movie now knowing it was not meant to be. HBO beat TNT and that was the end.

[QUOTE=vgalindo;343055]
    Quote Originally Posted by greg jones View Post
    I don't want to answer for Bluerock. But it was first intended for the big screen. But Diana couldn't find the financing from a major studio. Then Ted Turner made a deal to do it for television TNT. I was upset at the time because I wanted it to be a major motion picture. I would take a TV movie now knowing it was not meant to be. HBO beat TNT and that was the end.
    Well you did answer it for me and you answered it correctly vgalindo so there is not much else i can add to your account!

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I agree. I couldn't believe she didn't do "The Bodyguard". It would have been a big hit.
    I honestly don't know why she turned this down. I didn't ask her but someone else told me that Berry begged her not to do it because he knew Diana and Ryan were attracted to one another and that of course made him feel jealous. He had good reason to be jealous because they did indeed have a romance shortly after Diana's first marriage ended. Not sure how true the first part of my story is but ii can vouch for the second part.

according to the various Diana and Motown books published, Diana passed on Bodyguard because she was only given a treatment, not a script. She wasn't willing to commit until there was something more concrete

plus there are the stories that she was not in favor of the heavier violence and strong language, horrified by the nude scene [[not sure what scene that would have been) and felt the title emphasized Ryan's character over her own

Regarding The Bodyguard, from what I heard, Kevin Costner really reworked that story and it was not the as what Diana would have been offered. It wouldn't surprise me that they didn't have a script to show her if she was being offered the role very early in the process. Many stars are attached to scripts [[or treatments) early on and the projects never materialize, or they are gone when it finally gets made.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    according to the various Diana and Motown books published, Diana passed on Bodyguard because she was only given a treatment, not a script. She wasn't willing to commit until there was something more concrete

plus there are the stories that she was not in favor of the heavier violence and strong language, horrified by the nude scene [[not sure what scene that would have been) and felt the title emphasized Ryan's character over her own
    Yes I remember the news on my local radio station reporting Diana would not be doing "The Bodyguard" because of a nude scene.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Yes I remember the news on my local radio station reporting Diana would not be doing "The Bodyguard" because of a nude scene.
    It is true to say the original draft for the Bodyguard differed from the Costner.Whitney version. It was a different era with different standards. I wish she had done it but despite Diana's reluctance to do it there were also people in the film industry who did not want her to do it either.

Bluebrock. A bit off topic. But is Diana aware if Cindy B being ill??

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Bluebrock. A bit off topic. But is Diana aware if Cindy B being ill??
    Yes she is and she has been in touch.

Yes she is and she has been in touch.
    thank you, I was under the impression by another that only she and Scherrie had been in contact. thought that was odd but obviously another rumour.thanks for clearing that up

I remember that after the Wiz, Diana was to star in a film titled "Tough Customer", set in Harlem in the 20's and 30's. She was to play Stephanie St. Clair, the girlfriend of gangster Dutch Schultz. Apparantly she was was extremely keen to play the role but motown were unable to find a studio who would back the project. Perhaps they were put off by the recent dismal failure of The Wiz at the box office.
    I have always wondered what happened as regards "Diva". I believe Diana had bought the film rights and was eager to star in it.. This would have been around 95 or 96 i guess. Does anyone have any additional info as to why this never came to pass.

There were quite a few film projects announced. I remember one where Diana was to co-star with Jack Lemmon. She was supposed to play a woman who was mute and he was helping her to communicate.

thank you, I was under the impression by another that only she and Scherrie had been in contact. thought that was odd but obviously another rumour.thanks for clearing that up
    She prefers to do things like this in private rather than under the glare of publicity. Most of her charity work passes under the radar which is how she prefers it, but mark my words there has been contact on several occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    There were quite a few film projects announced. I remember one where Diana was to co-star with Jack Lemmon. She was supposed to play a woman who was mute and he was helping her to communicate.
    That's right! The working title was SILENCE; her character was also supposed to be a hooker, so maybe that fact gave her second thoughts. I remember reading about another proposal called THE WOMAN IN THE 450 SL or something similar around the same time. Wasn't there a PETER PAN on the table as well?

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    That's right! The working title was SILENCE; her character was also supposed to be a hooker, so maybe that fact gave her second thoughts. I remember reading about another proposal called THE WOMAN IN THE 450 SL or something similar around the same time. Wasn't there a PETER PAN on the table as well?
    She was sent lots of scripts around this time, but she had already had a hectic schedule what with her recording, live shows and a mother to three daughters. She couldn't really fit much more in. She always put her family first, and if something had to be sacrificed it would be her acting career, much as she did enjoy acting her singing always came first in her career.

She prefers to do things like this in private rather than under the glare of publicity. Most of her charity work passes under the radar which is how she prefers it, but mark my words there has been contact on several occasions.
    after reading your posts of her, I knew she had to be in contact and your confirmed it for me.
    thank you .I could read your thoughts and memories all day,refreshing

did Diana block the release of Live At Royal Hall from 1973??? why???

after reading your posts of her, I knew she had to be in contact and your confirmed it for me.
    thank you .I could read your thoughts and memories all day,refreshing
    Thank you so much david. She hasn't objected to anything i have written thus far and has given me the green light to continue, so continue i will!!

did Diana block the release of Live At Royal Hall from 1973??? why???
    The edition that was to be released was the 60 minute edited version as shown on UK TV in 1973 . We wanted the full 90 min show to be released, but copyright issues continue to hamper this wish, but al is not yet lost. Diana would prefer the full show to be released.

The edition that was to be released was the 60 minute edited version as shown on UK TV in 1973 . We wanted the full 90 min show to be released, but copyright issues continue to hamper this wish, but al is not yet lost. Diana would prefer the full show to be released.
    cool, this looks like such a gem of a show and I like being able to document Diana history as I was kinda of young and my era of Ross began with Love Hangover. I actually think several of her shows should be released on dvd including ,dare I say it, yet again TCB!

cool, this looks like such a gem of a show and I like being able to document Diana history as I was kinda of young and my era of Ross began with Love Hangover. I actually think several of her shows should be released on dvd including ,dare I say it, yet again TCB!
    Diana has no control over the potential release of TCB as she does not own any rights to the show. It is more to do with the TV network, Berry Gordy and several lawyers amongst other people.

thanks for the feedback Bluebrock, regarding...TCB. but it is still a great music show and I love watching and hearing it.maybe one day.i am surprised it hasn't been released.

thanks for the feedback Bluebrock, regarding...TCB. but it is still a great music show and I love watching and hearing it.maybe one day.i am surprised it hasn't been released.
    I'm wondering how much of a market there is for TCB anymore. There are a lot of bootleg copies around. And I think the whole show has been available at times on YouTube.

As BigAl said on another thread, there may be a market that has developed around Diana and her solo tour that has now gone on for five years or so - but time has passed and what would have sold in 1990 and 2000 is now vastly different.

What do you think?

I think a lot of people have been waiting for it and if they released it with a expanded edition cd and the out takes for the dvd...it would do well

wonder if Diana has reconsidered her vaulted trax?? I think this could be a great collection. didn't Streisand do this?

wonder if Diana has reconsidered her vaulted trax?? I think this could be a great collection. didn't Streisand do this?
    Yes. A few years back, Barbra released a collection titled RELEASE ME that had previously unreleased material.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Yes. A few years back, Barbra released a collection titled RELEASE ME that had previously unreleased material.
    Yes she did and she is planning another one in 2017. Unlike Streisand Diana is not the slightest bit interested in trawling through her back catalogue to sift out some unreleased gems, not that there are many left from the first era at Motown.

I was also thinking of RCA and later years

Bluebrock, can you talk about the I Love You album.

I take it that Diana Ross did not like the album?

And that she wasn't interested in doing much promotion other than the style she likes to do - at her own pace, where she wants to go, what she wants to do?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Bluebrock, can you talk about the I Love You album.

I take it that Diana Ross did not like the album?

And that she wasn't interested in doing much promotion other than the style she likes to do - at her own pace, where she wants to go, what she wants to do?
    I wasn't involved in the promotion of this album at all. The answer to your question is both yes and no. Diana handpicked many of the songs on this album with the record company choosing a few also. She wanted the album to be a grand, glossy affair but the budget for the album fell way short of what Clive Davis had offered her to record a series of "standards" albums for J records. Diana was disappointed with the end product as were the majority of us. She thought the production was cheap and tacky [[she was right) and whilst she professionally fulfilled her domestic promotional duties she refused to promote it overseas. I do not want to say anything more about it, but i sincerely hope that album does not turn out to be her recording swansong.

the working title of the I Love You project was "Diana Ross Live On Karaoke Night" hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    the working title of the I Love You project was "Diana Ross Live On Karaoke Night" hehehe
    It was not a smart move on her part. Had i been in charge i would not have let her near the project.

I think the concept of exploring a "songbook" is one that works well for her. in her promotional discussions of this album it was all about songs dealing with "love" or with love in the title. well hell - it's 99.9999% of all recorded music anyway.

if she was going to do a collection of a songbook, I would think something more personal would be intriguing and successful. maybe she does modern and unique interpretations of Motown classics. totally different arrangement, styles, etc.
    *my world is empty without you - solo voice with acoustic guitar
    *I Can't Help myself - big band style
    *Jimmy Mack and Hunter Gets Captured - jazz

just playing around with some ideas. when the Sups did R&H, what made the collection so appealing, aside from the strong vocal performances, was that they artistically re-interpreted many of the pieces. Some were done in Motown style, some big band. some upbeat whereas in other recordings, artists had done them more as a ballad or slower tune. They made the work interesting and their own.

Unhappy

I wasn't involved in the promotion of this album at all. The answer to your question is both yes and no. Diana handpicked many of the songs on this album with the record company choosing a few also. She wanted the album to be a grand, glossy affair but the budget for the album fell way short of what Clive Davis had offered her to record a series of "standards" albums for J records. Diana was disappointed with the end product as were the majority of us. She thought the production was cheap and tacky [[she was right) and whilst she professionally fulfilled her domestic promotional duties she refused to promote it overseas. I do not want to say anything more about it, but i sincerely hope that album does not turn out to be her recording swansong.
    I have a really stong feeling this will indeed turn out to be Diana's swansong Bluebrock.
    You can tell how so much better this album could have been when you hear Diana singing the songs live. Crisp vocals with modern sounding arrangements. Even when allowing for a small budget the production is dreadful, given that she was working with an experienced producer.
    I have said it before, but as this is likely to be Diana's last album ever i would love to hear the whole cd entirely remixed, perhaps using some alternate vocal takes.
    It's funny, but i had a bad feeling about this cd before i had even heard it, when first viewing the eleven year old photo of Diana used for the front cover art.....It did not bode well.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 09-10-2016 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I have a really stong feeling this will indeed turn out to be Diana's swansong Bluebrock.
    You can tell how so much better this album could have been when you hear Diana singing the songs live. Crisp vocals with modern sounding arrangements. Even when allowing for a small budget the production is dreadful, given that she was working with an experienced producer.
    I have said it before, but as this is likely to be Diana's last album ever i would love to hear the whole cd entirely remixed, perhaps using some alternate vocal takes.
    It's funny, but i had a bad feeling about this cd before i had even heard it, when first viewing the eleven year old photo of Diana used for the front cover art.....It did not bode well.
    I know what you mean. More like 21-year-old cover art. Very disappointing production values as well from such a top-tier artist.

although there were some good moments on this album, I , overall was not happy with it.
    maybe it's me, but I am not understanding why she didn't go with Clive Davis and record a standards album. why not. ??? it most likely would have turned out much better than this mish mosh of songs. did we need another version of You Are So Beautiful.
    for some one like DR, why does it seem so difficult for her to find a good deal. is she being to picky? or are these record companies being difficult.
    and yes the photo artwork. wow.very disappointing. I expected better.

Bluebrook, am I misunderstanding , was Clive envolved in this. was this released on J records?

[QUOTE=daviddh;347019]Bluebrook, am I misunderstanding , was Clive envolved in this. whis released on J records?[/QUOTE

No he was not involved at all. He had asked her the previous year to sign a 5 album deal to record standards much the way Rod Stewart di with the Great American Songbook series. She almost signed the deal but Diana being Diana she wanted full creative control. Clive Davis was not going to give her that after the mess she made with much of her RCA stuff, so the idea stalled.
    It re-emerged a few years later, but once again fell through. Don't think the offer is on the table anymore, but she does have other people who would sign her up in an instant if she would just drop a couple of demands. If she does Glastonbury she will record an album with Nile and Pharrell who have both said they would drop any existing committments to work with her and she is well aware of this.

I agree with davidh in that there are a few nice moments on the album. "What About Love" being one.
    I don't think her vocals are that bad on a lot of the songs, just uninspired. It's the production that is really appalling.
    Having said that, compared to the "Making Spirits Bright" Hallmark cd where Diana sounds like she is filling in her diary while at the same time singing this is.........well a shade better.
    An album with Nile and Pharrell "wow". I would so love to be proven wrong.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 09-10-2016 at 04:39 PM.

bluebrock, thank you for the upate. that is good news.perhaps Diana will record a new set of songs....I think she needs to let others produce. she needs to let go a bit....perhaps. I am not in the business so I am not one to speak on such matters but...
    why didn't the album turn out the way she wanted...not understanding where the problems are here, why can other artists record albums , get released and no drama...
    either she wants to record or not...guess its in her court. I hope it works out for her.
    I rememeber Lena Horn releasing an album and winning at grammy at 72.....I think...

I sincerely PRAY that I Love You is not Miss Ross's last recording! There is NO reason why it should be. Another favourite artist of mine from the era where Miss Ross started is Petula Clark. At 83, she is coming out with a new album and doing some light touring for it. It is a album that she funded, co-wrote many of the tunes and i believe, she co-produced. It is coming out this Friday 16 Sep entitled "From Now On" and is her 3rd album in the last 5 years. The 1st being a French album and the 2nd an English album with well known younger producer in the UK, John Williams. Both of those albums were picked up by Sony. This new album has been licensed to BMG Rights Management in Germany for worldwide distribution. BMG Rights Management is the same label that Janet Jackson licensed her latest album. If Miss Clark, at 83, can still release a new album, there is no reason that Miss Ross shouldn't be able to find an outlet, even if she wants to retain much artistic input of the project.

bluebrock, thank you for the upate. that is good news.perhaps Diana will record a new set of songs....I think she needs to let others produce. she needs to let go a bit....perhaps. I am not in the business so I am not one to speak on such matters but...
    why didn't the album turn out the way she wanted...not understanding where the problems are here, why can other artists record albums , get released and no drama...
    either she wants to record or not...guess its in her court. I hope it works out for her.
    I rememeber Lena Horn releasing an album and winning at grammy at 72.....I think...
    Basically the label couldn't/wouldn't spend enough money on the album, so whilst she chose most of the songs she had expected stronger production and a bigger budget to work with. Clive had offered a big budget but he wanted to choose the songs. That was not unreasonable considering how much money he was willing to spend on the projects. One album every two years for ten years with three world tours thrown in for good measure. She turned him down.

Didn't Diana once say 'If you can think it - I can do it' [[about Berry)

I think her greatest career highs have come when other people have 'thought it'.

It's a shame somewhere along the way she let go of that philosophy.

Basically the label couldn't/wouldn't spend enough money on the album, so whilst she chose most of the songs she had expected stronger production and a bigger budget to work with. Clive had offered a big budget but he wanted to choose the songs. That was not unreasonable considering how much money he was willing to spend on the projects. One album every two years for ten years with three world tours thrown in for good measure. She turned him down.
    We will find our consolation with the listening the last Aretha's album. Not great at all.

[QUOTE=Bluebrock;347029]
    Bluebrook, am I misunderstanding , was Clive envolved in this. whis released on J records?[/QUOTE

No he was not involved at all. He had asked her the previous year to sign a 5 album deal to record standards much the way Rod Stewart di with the Great American Songbook series. She almost signed the deal but Diana being Diana she wanted full creative control. Clive Davis was not going to give her that after the mess she made with much of her RCA stuff, so the idea stalled.
    It re-emerged a few years later, but once again fell through. Don't think the offer is on the table anymore, but she does have other people who would sign her up in an instant if she would just drop a couple of demands. If she does Glastonbury she will record an album with Nile and Pharrell who have both said they would drop any existing committments to work with her and she is well aware of this.
    Hi, what demands wont she give up. And why doesn't she do some acting she makes a good actress.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    We will find our consolation with the listening the last Aretha's album. Not great at all.
    Totally agree, and to be honest, also about Rod Stewart's American Songbook albums. They may sell well, but they are very bland... kind of the fast food of music. So I'm happy she didn't take the Clive route. Would be nice she would listen to Pharrell though... and I'm sure Alicia Keys would love to work with her. She should just do a low-key album, based on the love of the music, rather than the amounts to be sold -- she no longer needs that.

[QUOTE=detmotownguy;347174]

Hi, what demands wont she give up. And why doesn't she do some acting she makes a good actress.
    Not able to say here. As regards acting she is still being courted by the producers of Empire for a guest stint

I am hoping that she records again. I think Pharrell would be a good choice.
    I did hear Diana sing with Pavaratti and others a few years ago and I was surprised but she held her own wonderfully. she sang her gown off and , at the point, she sang a few classics , I remember thinking she should record a songbook style album.
    I am surprised he didn't come back with ,lets try one and see. but an album every two years.... sounds good to me

I am hoping that she records again. I think Pharrell would be a good choice.
    I did hear Diana sing with Pavaratti and others a few years ago and I was surprised but she held her own wonderfully. she sang her gown off and , at the point, she sang a few classics , I remember thinking she should record a songbook style album.
    I am surprised he didn't come back with ,lets try one and see. but an album every two years.... sounds good to me
    I don't remember Miss Ross singing with Pavarotti. Can you provide a link? I know she sang with Carreras and Domingo several times.