[REMOVE ADS]

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    I might be mistaken, but wasn't Diana Ross signed with Capitol for the UK and European releases of her 1980s albums, which was owned by EMI not RCA.
    You are not mistaken jaap.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It was a very tough decision Ollie. We had to include "only love can conquer all" because Diana loved that song. She would have hung me out to dry had i binned it, in fact it is one of her all time favourites of any era. Diana is not a great fan of Diana. She would never listen to her own music by choice. She would always find fault with her vocals and claim she could have done better. You will have to remind me which track was left off the USA version in favour of "olcca". My memory cannot recall without consulting my diary.
    It was "Swing It" Bluebrock.
    I don't really dislike OLCCA, it's just my least fave from the cd. I had a feeling Diana really liked the song as she chose to perform it on Oprah. Talking of TMH, i have to say i much prefer the punchier version of " I Never Love A Man Before" that appeared on the cassette single of "Gone" compared to the slower version that was chosen for the cd.
    P.S I think "Let Somebody Know" is one of Diana's best vocal performances of the 90's. A really lovely ballad...........You are naughty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I don't really dislike OLCCA, it's just my least fave from the cd. I had a feeling Diana really liked the song as she chose to perform it on Oprah. Talking of TMH, i have to say i much prefer the punchier version of " I Never Love A Man Before" that appeared on the cassette single of "Gone" compared to the slower version that was chosen for the cd.
    P.S I think "Let Somebody Know" is one of Diana's best vocal performances of the 90's. A really lovely ballad...........You are naughty.
    Thanks for the confidence booster Ollie!! Swing it was considered as a possible single in the UK . It was not my personal favourite song from the album but i don't think i would have omitted it. The faster version of "inlamb" will no doubt appear on the expanded version of "tmh" whenever that may appear. We could easily fill two cds inc remixes. It is a project that must happen. Diana wanted OLCCA to be a single and if released at the right time could have been a decent hit. Glad you backtracked a little because she was reading this forum as recently as last Saturday, and i would hate you to incur her wrath!

What!! Ollie, you just got my attention. There's another version of I Never Loved A Man Before out there? I'd love to hear it...

I absolutely love the Take Me Higher project, and this brings up another question for Bluebrock:
    Several songs from TMH have alternate mixes between the U.S. and U.K. releases. Voice Of The Heart, Keep It Right There and I Never Loved A Man each have edited choruses or instrumentation between the two releases and the rap is edited from the U.S. Don't Stop. And although I've never heard another version, it seems to my ears Only Love Can Conquer All is edited to shorten the choir's contribution to the song. What is the decision making process and who ultimately makes the final choice regarding the mixes.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    What!! Ollie, you just got my attention. There's another version of I Never Loved A Man Before out there? I'd love to hear it...

I absolutely love the Take Me Higher project, and this brings up another question for Bluebrock:
    Several songs from TMH have alternate mixes between the U.S. and U.K. releases. Voice Of The Heart, Keep It Right There and I Never Loved A Man each have edited choruses or instrumentation between the two releases and the rap is edited from the U.S. Don't Stop. And although I've never heard another version, it seems to my ears Only Love Can Conquer All is edited to shorten the choir's contribution to the song. What is the decision making process and who ultimately makes the final choice regarding the mixes.
    Hi Johnny. If i am to be honest i was totally unaware of the differing versions of songs on TMH. In the UK we were given the master tapes with 14 songs on them. Originally we chose 12 songs which were then trimmed to 11 by EMI. As regards the mixes that is totally out of my hands. It is the producer, engineer, manager and to some extent the artist him/herself who makest those decisions. You are probably right about OLCCA having a longer version in the vaults. Ollie is totally right about the alternate version of INLAMB though i think i prefer the album version which was actually recorded after the faster version which was thought to lack something.

Thanks for the confidence booster Ollie!! Swing it was considered as a possible single in the UK . It was not my personal favourite song from the album but i don't think i would have omitted it. The faster version of "inlamb" will no doubt appear on the expanded version of "tmh" whenever that may appear. We could easily fill two cds inc remixes. It is a project that must happen. Diana wanted OLCCA to be a single and if released at the right time could have been a decent hit. Glad you backtracked a little because she was reading this forum as recently as last Saturday, and i would hate you to incur her wrath!
    I wish there was an expanded Take Me Higher! I place that album higher than Force Behind The Power. I thought that had fantastic material on it. There was a remix of Take Me Higher that appeared on a cassette single that was just fantastic. I've never been able to find it again. One of my current "Holy Grail's". ;-)

if Diana is reading this , we love you .
    I was just playing TMH cd today.i have my own extended version with Swing It and Too Many Nights that I made myself. both are great songs. Swing It could have been a single,imo. I think a deluxe edition of TMH would be great
    I wish she would add some of these songs back in her live shows. If You're Not Gonna Love Me Right is killer jam.should have been huge.
    I think there was a Brenda Russell song....??Happy To See You Again
    why didn't she work with these peeps again for another album????
    Love Will Conguer All is great as well. typical Ross classic.

Bluebrock, what is your opinion of Ross 83. I love side 1 but side 2 is weak to me. another there are other songs left off this album but I persoannly think she should have recorded or used my Gary Katz tracks and less or no Ray Parker songs.

I always wished Swing It would have been an American single. I thought it much superior to especially, Let Somebody Know and Only Love Can Conquer All.

I might be blurring things together after all these years...............but didn't Voice of the Heart come after Take Me Higher? Or am I mixing albums? I thought Voice of the Heart should have come first to be honest. And then Swing It.

I thought Gone should have come before Take Me Higher too.

But perhaps it doesn't matter what came when - because Diana was not a young artist by this stage of her career and had to face that issue.

Bluebrock: I think we call consider your presence on this Forum one of the most welcome events of the last few years.

I personally like Everyday Is a New Day album, ...Sugarfree, Love Is All That Matters,Not Over You Yet,.. Carry On....some great songs....to bad they left off Free I'm Gone.have to pull this out and give it a listen.on vacation next week. Diana will be joining me on the beach...even though she doesn't know it yet.

Bluebrock, would the out takes be the same in USA as in UK?? since Free I'm Gone was released in ,I think Japan ,only??? would they be different?? or are all the songs recorded in USA and the supplied to other areas

What about the delightful "soul kiss" ? I have it on my computer but I don't even know where it appeared first.

You are not mistaken jaap.
    I'm confused now.

Does this mean ut was the same team promoting Diana's music in the UK as in the late 70s.

I am only jesting Bluebrock.
    How wonderful that Diana was on the forum. I hope this thread made for interesting reading as all of the posts have been respectful, regardless of our personal likes and dislikes.
    I agree that TMH Expanded has to happen somehow!!!.
    I have never thought OLCCA a strong enough song to be considered as a potential single, though it really is so hard to judge which song was. I was amazed that TMH was not huge.I think i would have chosen "I Will Survive" as the 2nd UK single followed by "Swing It"....but who knows?.
    It's interesting you like the slower more delicate version of INLAMB. I think the faster, original version has more oomph and possibly had hit potential.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 07-13-2016 at 07:27 AM.

There is indeed johnnyB. It featured on the cassette single of "Gone", but i am at a loss as to where i have put it at the mo. There is also a version of "I Thought That We Were Still In Love" that has a beautiful, almost classical intro. As Bluebrock has said there are plenty of goodies for an expanded version of TMH........Perhaps one day soon.....Unless someone knows more!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Bluebrock, what is your opinion of Ross 83. I love side 1 but side 2 is weak to me. another there are other songs left off this album but I persoannly think she should have recorded or used my Gary Katz tracks and less or no Ray Parker songs.
    I didn't really rate it to be honest. I liked around four songs on it but there were some mediocre songs on there too. I know at least four additional songs were recorded for the project , but of course these are owned by Diana who currently refuses to release them. I haven't heard any of these tunes but I know someone who has and he claims there are a couple of gems in there. Whether we ever get the chance to hear them is of course another matter.

I am only jesting Bluebrock.
    How wonderful that Diana was on the forum. I hope this thread made for interesting reading as all of the posts have been respectful, regardless of our personal likes and dislikes.
    I agree that TMH Expanded has to happen somehow!!!.
    I have never thought OLCCA a strong enough song to be considered as a potential single, though it really is so hard to judge which song was. I was amazed that TMH was not huge.I think i would have chosen "I Will Survive" as the 2nd UK single followed by "Swing It"....but who knows?.
    It's interesting you like the slower more delicate version of INLAMB. I think the faster, original version has more oomph and possibly had hit potential.
    As you rightly say Ollie it is all purely a matter of personal taste. I haven't heard the faster version in years, in fact I don't even think I own it anymore, but it will be on the expanded version i'm sure, whenever that may come out!

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    I'm confused now.

Does this mean ut was the same team promoting Diana's music in the UK as in the late 70s.
    There had been a few changes in staff by that time Florence so I guess the answer is yes and no.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I always wished Swing It would have been an American single. I thought it much superior to especially, Let Somebody Know and Only Love Can Conquer All.

I might be blurring things together after all these years...............but didn't Voice of the Heart come after Take Me Higher? Or am I mixing albums? I thought Voice of the Heart should have come first to be honest. And then Swing It.

I thought Gone should have come before Take Me Higher too.

But perhaps it doesn't matter what came when - because Diana was not a young artist by this stage of her career and had to face that issue.

Bluebrock: I think we call consider your presence on this Forum one of the most welcome events of the last few years.
    Thank you for that jobetrob. I do appreciate it. I seem to recall that in the UK we put VOTH as the B side to IWS. I recall her performing it on the National Lottery show and the Des O'Connor show, a show that she loved to appear on. In the USA I think VOTH was paired with "if your not gonna love me right" if my memory serves, but I could be mistaken.

In the USA I think VOTH was paired with "if your not gonna love me right" if my memory serves, but I could be mistaken.
    You're correct. VOICE OF THE HEART was released as a double a-side with IF YOU'RE NOT GONNA LOVE ME RIGHT as the last single from TAKE ME HIGHER in the USA. Now that I think of it, this might have been Diana's last US single period, as there were none released from EVERY DAY IS A NEW DAY.

I went to see Diana twice during the summer of 1995, before the TAKE ME HIGHER cd was released. She sang quite a few songs from it and they all sounded great. It seemed like it was going to be a good cd, which it indeed turned out to be.

Although I love GONE, I don't think it was the best candidate for the second single. After the title track, I would have gone with IF YOU'RE NOT GONNA LOVE ME RIGHT, followed by VOICE OF THE HEART, and maybe later, GONE.

Can't believe it has been over 20 years ago.

[QUOTE=Ollie9;340433]There is indeed johnnyB. It featured on the cassette single of "Gone", but i am at a loss as to where i have put it at the mo. There is also a version of "I Thought That We Were Still In Love" that has a beautiful, almost classical intro. As Bluebrock has said there are plenty of goodies for an expanded version of TMH........Perhaps one day soon.....Unless someone knows more!!!![/QUOTE

I have the alternate version of I Thought, it's beautiful and expands the overall "feel" of the song. If there is an expanded Take Me Higher, it definitely needs to be included. Also, I'm So Happy [[To See You Again), another excellent song not included in the original CD. I have this as the B-side of the UK cassette single I'm Gone.

Fingers crossed...

And again, if Miss Ross is reading, we love you!!

[QUOTE=JohnnyB;340473]
    There is indeed johnnyB. It featured on the cassette single of "Gone", but i am at a loss as to where i have put it at the mo. There is also a version of "I Thought That We Were Still In Love" that has a beautiful, almost classical intro. As Bluebrock has said there are plenty of goodies for an expanded version of TMH........Perhaps one day soon.....Unless someone knows more!!!![/QUOTE

I have the alternate version of I Thought, it's beautiful and expands the overall "feel" of the song. If there is an expanded Take Me Higher, it definitely needs to be included. Also, I'm So Happy [[To See You Again), another excellent song not included in the original CD. I have this as the B-side of the UK cassette single I'm Gone.

Fingers crossed...

And again, if Miss Ross is reading, we love you!!
    I think she knows that Johnny. Few if any artists are fortunate enough to have such loyal and devoted fans. Diana is basically a very private person but she is fully aware of the great love her fans have for her.

[QUOTE=Bluebrock;340475]
    I think she knows that Johnny. Few if any artists are fortunate enough to have such loyal and devoted fans. Diana is basically a very private person but she is fully aware of the great love her fans have for her.
    Thank you Bluebrock. Love all your posts. I have a question Has "I'm so happy to see you again " ever been released on cd? I love this song and wanted your opinion on it and why it was not included on the TMH cd release.

[QUOTE=vgalindo;340482]

Thank you Bluebrock. Love all your posts. I have a question Has "I'm so happy to see you again " ever been released on cd? I love this song and wanted your opinion on it and why it was not included on the TMH cd release.
    Not sure it has. I think it was issued on a cassette only single which i cannot begin to give a valid reason. I think it may have had something to do with copyright. Some songs can be released on certain formats and not others. I know that sounds weird but it can vary from country to country. There have got to be at least 8 outtakes / alternate versions from those sessions as well as all the remixes.

I forgot about I THOUGHT WE WERE STILL IN LOVE. what a beautiful song. LOVED IT.
    I thought Happy To See You Again was a B side but I honest cant remember, damn I am getting old.i used to know all this by heart

I am hoping for a TMH DELUXE but the way Universal is going.....I may need a hearing aid to listen to it by the time they get to it ..lol.

Diana , if you are reading this , please reconsider your vaulted tracks from the 80s[[RCA) , I am in Ross withdrawal!!!! I need my Ross fix.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    You're correct. VOICE OF THE HEART was released as a double a-side with IF YOU'RE NOT GONNA LOVE ME RIGHT as the last single from TAKE ME HIGHER in the USA. Now that I think of it, this might have been Diana's last US single period, as there were none released from EVERY DAY IS A NEW DAY.

I went to see Diana twice during the summer of 1995, before the TAKE ME HIGHER cd was released. She sang quite a few songs from it and they all sounded great. It seemed like it was going to be a good cd, which it indeed turned out to be.

Although I love GONE, I don't think it was the best candidate for the second single. After the title track, I would have gone with IF YOU'RE NOT GONNA LOVE ME RIGHT, followed by VOICE OF THE HEART, and maybe later, GONE.

Can't believe it has been over 20 years ago.
    I agree; it doesn't feel like it was that long ago. Such a good work, and an exciting time to be a fan--the tour, the television appearances, videos and the Super Bowl.

Bluerock... you said that Miss Ross' I Love You album was a one off deal with EMI. I am kind of wondering when her contract with RCA in North American ended and she was with MCA that turned into the 2nd Motown contract because of MCA purchasing Motown, did Miss Ross end up re-signing for the rest of the world with EMI or had that contract already been extended ? I am assuming that when the Motown contract expired, so did her EMI contract.

Quote Originally Posted by greg jones View Post
    Bluerock... you said that Miss Ross' I Love You album was a one off deal with EMI. I am kind of wondering when her contract with RCA in North American ended and she was with MCA that turned into the 2nd Motown contract because of MCA purchasing Motown, did Miss Ross end up re-signing for the rest of the world with EMI or had that contract already been extended ? I am assuming that when the Motown contract expired, so did her EMI contract.
    From what i can recall Greg her contract with RCA expired the moment "red hot" was released. She had already resigned with Motown USA and EMI Europe by this time.This was a new contract, not an extension.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Diana , if you are reading this , please reconsider your vaulted tracks from the 80s[[RCA) , I am in Ross withdrawal!!!! I need my Ross fix.
    Good work David. Keep trying.

From what i can recall Greg her contract with RCA expired the moment "red hot" was released. She had already resigned with Motown USA and EMI Europe by this time.This was a new contract, not an extension.
    After she left RCA, didn't she sign with MCA first? I remember a brief blurb in Billboard saying that she was an MCA artist, and IF WE HOLD ON TOGETHER was released on that label.

Then when MCA bought Motown and Jheryl Busby took over, they thought it would be a nice idea if she came back to Motown, and that's when they worked out the deal in which she would be coming back as part owner, helping to fulfill Berry Gordy's request of some minority ownership in the sale.

the above sounds correct to my recollections

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    After she left RCA, didn't she sign with MCA first? I remember a brief blurb in Billboard saying that she was an MCA artist, and IF WE HOLD ON TOGETHER was released on that label.

Then when MCA bought Motown and Jheryl Busby took over, they thought it would be a nice idea if she came back to Motown, and that's when they worked out the deal in which she would be coming back as part owner, helping to fulfill Berry Gordy's request of some minority ownership in the sale.
    You may well be right Reese. Certainly IWHOT was released on MCA in the USA but on EMI UK

Reese is right. That's what I remember from Billboard and other sources.

all this talk about Take Me Higher, is making me want to pull out my cd and chill out ,luckily, my vacation is one day away. here we go Ms Ross. hope you got ur bathing suit packed .such a damn good album. as good as this album was, it needed a sequel.

Bluerock

I can't get my head round this. All my perceptions are completely overthrown.

Although I was aware that Diana was released through Capitol in the UK in the 80's [[EMI) rather than RCA until the past week in my ignorance/stupidity I assumed this was just a distribution deal and RCA was behind the PR.

Were there any underlying reasons such as in the late 70s why Diana's product wasn't as successful as it should have been?

In particular, the Swept Away project seems to me to have been a complete mess - I can't believe the same team who for example plucked My Old Piano from nowhere just a couple of years previously could have been behind it.

My understanding was that they tried to break Missing You several times. I find it almost impossible to believe that they couldn't even get it into the top 75.

Chain Reaction seems to have been successful in spite of promotion rather than because of it - it would have bombed if it hadn't been for the Music channels, clubs and discos.

I'm personally bemused by all the love here for Take Me Higher. It could be a reaction from The Force Behind The Power - it was going to be difficult to ever emulate it - I await with bated breath to see if any of the other tracks from those recording sessions ever see the light of day - but I just couldn't get into TMH at all, most of the tracks lacking spark and melody.

The title track was just about good enough for a minor hit but I'm Gone pleasant enough for an album track didn't cut it as a single as with most of the other tracks.

The public particularly in the UK will always associate I Will Survive with Gloria Gaynor and it was brave of Diana to do it - I can appreciate what she felt about the sentiments of the song and she does a rousing version of it. Perhaps it would have been better if this had been the lead single.

The only other track which to me had commercial possibilities was Voice Of The Heart overlooked in the UK.

Around the mid-90s the only track for me that screamed UK hit single [[if Diana was available for promotion) was Promise Me You'll Try which for some strange reason never surfaced here at all.

You may well be right Reese. Certainly IWHOT was released on MCA in the USA but on EMI UK
    I always thought If We Hold On Together was released on MCA because they did the soundtrack album for the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I always thought If We Hold On Together was released on MCA because they did the soundtrack album for the movie.
    To a certain extent, yes that is true. But I also remember all the articles in Billboard, Variety, etc. that she was signing to MCA in late '88. Maybe that was also because of the Soundtrack. However, before the ink was dry in mid 1989, Gordy sold Motown to MCA and since they now owned Motown as well, it made sense to move her over. Though, i'm not sure if MCA and Motown had separate promotional staff. Somehow, I don't think so as that was the goal of the acquisitions at the time... reducing staff.

[QUOTE=Bluebrock;340489]
    Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Not sure it has. I think it was issued on a cassette only single which i cannot begin to give a valid reason. I think it may have had something to do with copyright. Some songs can be released on certain formats and not others. I know that sounds weird but it can vary from country to country. There have got to be at least 8 outtakes / alternate versions from those sessions as well as all the remixes.
    Bluerock, this is just a general question of the industry at the time you worked with Miss Ross... Would something like a restriction of the format be known when the song is recorded ? or is that found out when the clearances happen in putting the final release together ?

This answers some questions as to why some artists releases were different between North America and the rest of the world. I always thought it was mainly marketing to get more import sales and fans to buy other versions.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Bluerock

I can't get my head round this. All my perceptions are completely overthrown.

Although I was aware that Diana was released through Capitol in the UK in the 80's [[EMI) rather than RCA until the past week in my ignorance/stupidity I assumed this was just a distribution deal and RCA was behind the PR.

Were there any underlying reasons such as in the late 70s why Diana's product wasn't as successful as it should have been?

In particular, the Swept Away project seems to me to have been a complete mess - I can't believe the same team who for example plucked My Old Piano from nowhere just a couple of years previously could have been behind it.

My understanding was that they tried to break Missing You several times. I find it almost impossible to believe that they couldn't even get it into the top 75.

Chain Reaction seems to have been successful in spite of promotion rather than because of it - it would have bombed if it hadn't been for the Music channels, clubs and discos.

I'm personally bemused by all the love here for Take Me Higher. It could be a reaction from The Force Behind The Power - it was going to be difficult to ever emulate it - I await with bated breath to see if any of the other tracks from those recording sessions ever see the light of day - but I just couldn't get into TMH at all, most of the tracks lacking spark and melody.

The title track was just about good enough for a minor hit but I'm Gone pleasant enough for an album track didn't cut it as a single as with most of the other tracks.

The public particularly in the UK will always associate I Will Survive with Gloria Gaynor and it was brave of Diana to do it - I can appreciate what she felt about the sentiments of the song and she does a rousing version of it. Perhaps it would have been better if this had been the lead single.

The only other track which to me had commercial possibilities was Voice Of The Heart overlooked in the UK.

Around the mid-90s the only track for me that screamed UK hit single [[if Diana was available for promotion) was Promise Me You'll Try which for some strange reason never surfaced here at all.
    Florence - we have discussed this previously. I cannot go too deeply into the reasons why her late 70's product did not get the promotion it deserved. Diana had an enemy in the camp who did his/her utmost to f*ck up Diana's UK career. This person was dismissed and by the spookiest of coincidences this coincided with her career rebirth - weird that isn't it?
    I am bemused that you are bemused by all the love for TMH. I think it stands up there with the very best of her albums, i really do. It was fresh, dynamic, and Diana sounded great. She loved this album and still does. The various out takes are also very strong. I really cannot understand why you don't like it, yet you admit to loving an album like Silk Electric. That is of course an opinion you are most entitled to , but in my humble opinion TMH is everything that SE isn't. A set of quality songs, well produced, Superbly performed and memorable to this very day.
    I do have to agree with you regarding Swept Away. Why the title track was never made a single is quite beyond me. It was a single just about everywhere else. Missing You is classic Diana and should have been huge, whilst Touch By Touch should have gone at least top 20. There are as always underlying reasons why all this failed to happen which i am unable to go into it. They got a huge hit out of Chain Reaction, but should have followed that with Crimes of Passion which i am convinced would have gone top 10. I could go on all day but i will not bore you all any longer, but all this still frustrates the hell out of me!

Was Soul Kiss, one of the outtakes from TMH on any other release than the Canadian Cassette ? And which Canadian Cassette Single was that ? That's not something that I have in my collection.

[QUOTE=greg jones;340717]

Bluerock, this is just a general question of the industry at the time you worked with Miss Ross... Would something like a restriction of the format be known when the song is recorded ? or is that found out when the clearances happen in putting the final release together ?

This answers some questions as to why some artists releases were different between North America and the rest of the world. I always thought it was mainly marketing to get more import sales and fans to buy other versions.
    Greg - We were not usually aware of clearance issues until the particular song was being prepared for release. There were so many factors to take into consideration. The singer, songwriter, producer, publisher,agent, copyright owner, engineer, even the office cat might have to be consulted at some point, and it was rarely the same in two markets. We had to go through so much red tape to get If We Hold On Together as a bonus track for Force Behind The Power in the UK. We succeeded but other markets failed to secure it. That was not necessarily due to skill on my part . It could so easily have had to do with what side of the bed a particularly grumpy agent had got out of that morning. It really was a minefield and caused me undue stress time after time.

gba Guest
    Your stories are a breath of fresh air of what really happened during these years - thank you for being the reason of truth. we appreciate you

Quote Originally Posted by gba View Post
    Your stories are a breath of fresh air of what really happened during these years - thank you for being the reason of truth. we appreciate you
    My pleasure gba and welcome to the forum! There are lots of mighty fine people on here.

Quote Originally Posted by greg jones View Post
    Was Soul Kiss, one of the outtakes from TMH on any other release than the Canadian Cassette ? And which Canadian Cassette Single was that ? That's not something that I have in my collection.
    I think it may have appeared on a Japanese cd single Greg, but i would not swear on that.

With all the great songs on TMH...I wonder why Diana doesn't include more of them in her live shows. If You're Not Gonna Love Me Right is such a great song.

album didn't sell.. these mainstream audiences don't know that material.. she wants to keep selling tickets

Guess you are correct but I would think it would be good way to introduce these songs....by expanding setlist by 2 or 3 songs

Bluerock - a few questions.

1. By 1991 I was buying singles on CD but preferred albums on vinyl.

Any particular reason why If We Hold On Together wasn't included on the vinyl version of The Force Behind The Power in the UK? - I was royally miffed about that.

My recollection is a bit hazy but was it added on to future pressings when the album re-entered the charts the following Christmas?

2. One of the big phenomena in the UK in the 1980s and 90s was Music Clubs such as Brittania and I think they did pretty good business. However these sales were never transfigured into the charts or made public.

I think Diana was regarded in the UK more as a Pop than Soul/R&B singer and my feeling is that she would have sold quite well through these outlets particularly any of her Greatest Hits collections.

Do you have any information on this? All The Greatest Hits doesn't look to have sold anywhere near the Platinum level so I was thinking it could gave sold strongly here.

3. How exactly were certification claims arrived at? I would have thought there would have been a set system but it seems sometimes either by design or default certification claims weren't made.

For example BMRB data shows that the 1976 Greatest Hits Album [[labelled 2 in the UK) was way in excess of the 300k required for Platinum within a few years yet was never claimed?

Why would they decide not to claim a certification?

4. Probably a stupid question but I would assume the Record Comapny would only be concerned with the bottom line?

Probably yourself would have gotten a bigger kick of getting a top 10 album with Take Me Higher rather than Baby It's Me which didn't make the album charts [[ a top 50 at the time). Just an example as I know you wouldn't have been involved with BIM - but actually all Diana's fans went out and bought TMH in its first week of release, then it very quickly fell off the chart. BIM sold very steadily for months after release and finished up easily outselling TMH.

EMI would have been much happier with the performnce of BIM?

It's been lovely reading all the stories about Diana's true character. The press loves sensationalism and particularly the British press which loves to build someone up just to kick them down when they can.

I think Diana's just like all of us, we have our good days and bad days. Can any one of us hold our handds up and honestly say that we haven't done or said something on the spur of the moment at one time which we wished we hadn't? [[If you have I don't believe you!!)

She seems like a loving and caring family person.