[REMOVE ADS]

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 23 ... LastLast
    Chudney was born in November 1975 so maybe the pregnancy was the main reason for her low profile.

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Does anyone know what Diana was doing in 75. This has always been a bit of a mystery year for me. Did she take the time off to be with her family or did she tour somewhere?. Other than a coke jingle it seems she was not recording anything. I rememberer seeing a photo of her circa 75 singing at a concert hall somewhere in America.
    Perhaps she was kept busy with choreographer Joe Layton, putting a new show together for the following year.
    A better queston is what was she doing in 74, she did not put out a studio album in 74 or 75, only her Live album was released during this period.

agreed. Diana was off the charts for almost 2 years, and Blue sat in the vaults for all these years along with some other gems. when Elvis went in to the army and Col had him record dozens of songs so I would appear he wasn't gone. but then again, she was filming Mahogany at some point and pregnant. I also think there was a point where Diana was tired of being over controlled by BG. wasn't it on the set of Mahogany that she slapped BG

I think Mahogany took up more of Diana's time than we realize. In addition to acting in that film, she also designed some of the costumes. As this was her first time doing this, I'm sure she was meticulous in her work. Designing costumes for a film is not easy and encompasses much more than just pulling a dress and wearing it onscreen. Knowing her, she probably was very present as the costumes were being made and fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I think Mahogany took up more of Diana's time than we realize. In addition to acting in that film, she also designed some of the costumes. As this was her first time doing this, I'm sure she was meticulous in her work. Designing costumes for a film is not easy and encompasses much more than just pulling a dress and wearing it onscreen. Knowing her, she probably was very present as the costumes were being made and fitted.
    Mahogany began filming in November 74 and i believe filming was completed in March 75......I think!!. In 74 singles were released from "Diana & Marvin and also "LTISH". In 75 we had just two singles. The lovely "Sorry Dosn't Always Make It Right" and the "Theme From Mahogany".....Not much for a whole year.

I always wonder why Diana - especially being a singer who had as much on-screen experience as probably anyone except Elvis at the time - didn't adopt the music-video a lot sooner.

In Australia, our isolation meant that videos were the best way overseas artists could promote a single. A screening on our 'Countdown' show [[equivalent to Top of the Pops) often meant a huge boost to sales - just as an appearance on Ed Sullivan helped Motowners in the US in the 60s.

Although Aussie sales would have been a drop in the ocean compared to elsewhere, video/chart success in Australia for artists such as Abba, Blondie & Meatloaf in Australia from the mid-70s have been credited with helping spark world-wide success for these acts.

I wonder how much more successful Diana's career would have been from the 70s into the early 80s if even some of her chart-toppers had been accompanied with a video-clip.

For someone with a growing family [[besides her three daughters in early 76, she had her 20yo brother and 7yo nephew in the household), a music-video would have been a perfect way to boost media attention without too much extra work or travel.

Wish I could go back in time and tap her [[and others) on the shoulder.

Also - an interview I recently read from early 76 said that Diana 'had an ABC-TV special coming up in May that could lead to a series' - does anyone know anything about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    Also - an interview I recently read from early 76 said that Diana 'had an ABC-TV special coming up in May that could lead to a series' - does anyone know anything about this?
    I remember seeing a blurb about this in JET magazine, but it never happened. Later, they also said that her 1977 NBC special was going to be called "DIANA ROSS: A DREAM."

I agree that the Last Time I Saw Him set didn't hold up well. there are some bright spots but it's inconsistent. Understand that they were working on testing new producers with the company and so Diana was a bit of a guinea pig for them

I do love the title track - while it might not be the biggest artistic achievement of Diana's, it's a fun track. sort of like The Happening was for the Sups.

Also I think the tracks by Bob Gaudio are strong. She comes across strong on them

You is an interesting track and frankly would have held up well as the closing song of the lp

I think where is starts to fall apart is Sleepin', Behind Closed Doors. I like Turn Around but it doesn't fit here. they should have finished the To The Baby project [[apparently there were a few more tracks prepared but no vocals - maybe they should have finished and completed the lp). And some of the unreleased tracks would have probably been wise replacements of these weaker songs. I'll Be Here, Get It Together, Why Play Games.

As for To The Baby - the set on the Touch Me Expanded release is compelling, warm and would have been a strong artistic statement. even though it was several years old, it could have been an appropriate disc to release in 75 while she was doing Mahogany. great transition to Do You Know release too.

It really is quite baffling as to why motown chose to release LTISH late 73. There was already so much Diana product already out there.
    As a consequence it sold badly, and being that it played like it was thrown together, received mostly negative reviews.
    Perhaps motown felt that as a complete album, "To The Baby" was to similar sounding to her TMITM set and wanted to show how versatile she was. For me it's not quite so much about the album itself, but the timing of it's release that sealed it's fate.
    One song i feel that DEFINATELY should have made it on to the set is "To The Baby". A timeless and beautiful vocal performance from Diana that ranks among her best of the 70's
    Last edited by Ollie9; 06-23-2016 at 06:23 AM.

i agree, but as usual with Motown we get everything at one time or nothing at all.
    on both Everytihg is Everything and Last Time I Saw Him , both contained some good out takes .
    #1 What Are You Doing the Rest Of Your Life,...what a great vocal and song. how could he that have been left in the vaults.
    #2 Blue... left in the vaults for 30 years....could have been a great release in 74-75
    #3 from Last Time, I Wonna Go Back There,Let Me Be The One .both of these I love.
    I think the out takes from LTISH were far better than what they actually used.once again Motown followed a classic lp with a bomb.?? just don't get it

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    I always wonder why Diana - especially being a singer who had as much on-screen experience as probably anyone except Elvis at the time - didn't adopt the music-video a lot sooner.

In Australia, our isolation meant that videos were the best way overseas artists could promote a single. A screening on our 'Countdown' show [[equivalent to Top of the Pops) often meant a huge boost to sales - just as an appearance on Ed Sullivan helped Motowners in the US in the 60s.

Although Aussie sales would have been a drop in the ocean compared to elsewhere, video/chart success in Australia for artists such as Abba, Blondie & Meatloaf in Australia from the mid-70s have been credited with helping spark world-wide success for these acts.

I wonder how much more successful Diana's career would have been from the 70s into the early 80s if even some of her chart-toppers had been accompanied with a video-clip.

For someone with a growing family [[besides her three daughters in early 76, she had her 20yo brother and 7yo nephew in the household), a music-video would have been a perfect way to boost media attention without too much extra work or travel.

Wish I could go back in time and tap her [[and others) on the shoulder.

Berry Gordy did not embrace the music video for some reason. He did not like the concept of his artists miming to their song in a setting outside of the stage or studio. Diana herself embraced the concept once she broke free of Gordy . I do think she could have taken advantage of this the way the likes of Abba and Queen did a lot earlier. It would have kept her more visual during the times she was filming or looking after the girls.
    The proposed series from ABC never got beyond the planning stages. Diana liked the idea of a weekly variety show but there was quite simply no time in her hectic schedule at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    i agree, but as usual with Motown we get everything at one time or nothing at all.
    on both Everytihg is Everything and Last Time I Saw Him , both contained some good out takes .
    #1 What Are You Doing the Rest Of Your Life,...what a great vocal and song. how could he that have been left in the vaults.
    #2 Blue... left in the vaults for 30 years....could have been a great release in 74-75
    #3 from Last Time, I Wonna Go Back There,Let Me Be The One .both of these I love.
    I think the out takes from LTISH were far better than what they actually used.once again Motown followed a classic lp with a bomb.?? just don't get it
    You and me both David. Diana and Berry were not seeing eye to eye at this point and she was already threatening to leave Motown. She felt Berry had taken his foot off the pedal and a i agree with her. She did not like "ltish", in fact she was dead against it's release. She could see it was a turkey with just the odd good song on it. I honestly do not know why the "baby" set was canned. It was far stronger than "ltish". Having said all that the failure of it made Berry up his game for a while and the black album though a long time coming was a real return to form.

honest man Guest
    Diana and Marvin project came up tops for me.[ wish we could hear solo versions before they were duet mixed]way before the 76 black album,cheers.

[QUOTE=honest man;338420]Diana and Marvin project came up tops for me.[ wish we could hear solo versions before they were duet mixed]way before the 76 black album,cheers.[/QUOTE
    In my opinion the Diana and Marvin album was a slight disappointment. Sure it contained some fine songs but for me i tend to like it rather than love it. I too would love another expanded edition with all the solo efforts on the bonus disc. I am told a couple of unreleased songs from the sessions remain in the vaultsand if that be the case the expanded version previously releasedis certainly not definitive. We also had the alternate version of "my mistake" which made it's way onto the Anthology set from the late 90's. This would be a great project and i guess i would see the album in a whole new light with all these additional bonus tracks.

honest man Guest
    [QUOTE=Bluebrock;338422]
    Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Diana and Marvin project came up tops for me.[ wish we could hear solo versions before they were duet mixed]way before the 76 black album,cheers.[/QUOTE
    In my opinion the Diana and Marvin album was a slight disappointment. Sure it contained some fine songs but for me i tend to like it rather than love it. I too would love another expanded edition with all the solo efforts on the bonus disc. I am told a couple of unreleased songs from the sessions remain in the vaultsand if that be the case the expanded version previously releasedis certainly not definitive. We also had the alternate version of "my mistake" which made it's way onto the Anthology set from the late 90's. This would be a great project and i guess i would see the album in a whole new light with all these additional bonus tracks.
    Hmmm this album IMO Was fantastic maybe- include me in your life was the bummer on the set,I seem to remember Don't knock my love ALT Was on Marvin's big box and 1 more correct me if i'm wrong,yes i reckon the Expanded version really needs updating ACE etc,can your hear.cheers.

well Supremes a Go Go 50th anniversary is coming soon, I think august. so lets see IF we see anything. I would think that , IF , it were coming, some PR would be nice....but I am sure it will remain a secret until then .
    I wasn't a huge fan of Marvin and Diana but there were some good tracks. I am off work tomorrow so I will have a listen. I do like Stop Look Listen to Your Heart

[QUOTE=honest man;338425]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Hmmm this album IMO Was fantastic maybe- include me in your life was the bummer on the set,I seem to remember Don't knock my love ALT Was on Marvin's big box and 1 more correct me if i'm wrong,yes i reckon the Expanded version really needs updating ACE etc,can your hear.cheers.
    Indeed, the box set "The Marvin Gaye Collection" includes the alternate version of Don't Knock My Love [[with Diana saying: "Take it to the top, Marv!" and a wonderful one-minute longer version of "You're A Special Part of Me" [[4:37) -- such a shame those were not included on the expanded edition. The compilation CD "Marvin Gaye: Love Songs -- The Greatest Duets" includes an alternate version of "Pledging My Love" which I prefer to the original album version although it fades too early.

well Supremes a Go Go 50th anniversary is coming soon, I think august. so lets see IF we see anything. I would think that , IF , it were coming, some PR would be nice....but I am sure it will remain a secret until then .
    I wasn't a huge fan of Marvin and Diana but there were some good tracks. I am off work tomorrow so I will have a listen. I do like Stop Look Listen to Your Heart
    I was expecting to be shot down in flames for admitting that i didn't love this album as much as i felt i ought to. Universal really do need to work on a definitive expanded version. For the record i agree that "slltyh" is the stand out track with "my mistake" another gem. That aprt i found it to be servicable rather than outstanding.

[QUOTE=Jaap;338429][QUOTE=honest man;338425

Indeed, the box set "The Marvin Gaye Collection" includes the alternate version of Don't Knock My Love [[with Diana saying: "Take it to the top, Marv!" and a wonderful one-minute longer version of "You're A Special Part of Me" [[4:37) -- such a shame those were not included on the expanded edition. The compilation CD "Marvin Gaye: Love Songs -- The Greatest Duets" includes an alternate version of "Pledging My Love" which I prefer to the original album version although it fades too early.[/QUOTE]

I, too, would welcome an expanded "Diana & Marvin"; I cadged my brother's copy as a child and so it's always had a sentimental place in my heart.

I've read that, on the Marvin collection, the "DKML" alternate also features Diana saying, "This is the song I hate!" at the beginning.

honest man Guest
    [QUOTE=Jaap;338429]

Indeed, the box set "The Marvin Gaye Collection" includes the alternate version of Don't Knock My Love [[with Diana saying: "Take it to the top, Marv!" and a wonderful one-minute longer version of "You're A Special Part of Me" [[4:37) -- such a shame those were not included on the expanded edition. The compilation CD "Marvin Gaye: Love Songs -- The Greatest Duets" includes an alternate version of "Pledging My Love" which I prefer to the original album version although it fades too early.
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHH I Have pledging my love ALT on some other cd , i know i have heard it,just can't think,my head is battered with all this uk euro MESS, does anyone know what other cd set it appears on please.

I was expecting to be shot down in flames for admitting that i didn't love this album as much as i felt i ought to. Universal really do need to work on a definitive expanded version. For the record i agree that "slltyh" is the stand out track with "my mistake" another gem. That aprt i found it to be servicable rather than outstanding.
    I agree 100% Bluebrock. both albums were just ok for me but I know they found another version of Heatwave for this collection so I think the expanded version of Go Go would be nice.hopefully. I am on vacation in a few weeks and was hoping for some new ROSS to enjoy for the week.looks like that's not gonna happen

I agree 100% Bluebrock. both albums were just ok for me but I know they found another version of Heatwave for this collection so I think the expanded version of Go Go would be nice.hopefully. I am on vacation in a few weeks and was hoping for some new ROSS to enjoy for the week.looks like that's not gonna happen
    Cheers David. I think go go will arrive suddenly and without fanfare just the way "baby it's me" did. Hopefully ross78 can make it in the short term too.

Cheers David. I think go go will arrive suddenly and without fanfare just the way "baby it's me" did. Hopefully ross78 can make it in the short term too.
    I hope not. But since I personally haven't gotten into downloading as of yet, it might very well.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I hope not. But since I personally haven't gotten into downloading as of yet, it might very well.
    There are ways and means of getting around that Reese. They will officially be digital only i'm afraid but physical cds can be obtained.

I did think they got all the Supremes stuff out of the vaults with the Lost and Found.but as they pull the tapes I suppose they are still finding new tracks. lets hope one or the other comes soon. I am in withdrawal

I did think they got all the Supremes stuff out of the vaults with the Lost and Found.but as they pull the tapes I suppose they are still finding new tracks. lets hope one or the other comes soon. I am in withdrawal
    I really doubt there is very much left in the 60's Supremes vault. There is still lots of 70's Supremes tracks languishing there and of course a few more Diana solo tracks but the well really is drying up now.

Bluebrock, I wonder if that is why they are holding back these few deluxe editions but then again,maybe not. I am hoping for a Supremes 70s Lost and Found and maybe a Diana solo. I did hear there are more tracks from Blue that are in the vaults

I think everyone is right about the volume of 60s content left. there could very well be a few things here and there but probably the majority of what's left comes down to:

Disney set
    more live sets
    perhaps a few alt versions and takes
    mistakes - versions or takes there someone is off pitch, makes a mistake. might be where they try something different or a different approach that was deemed, in the end, not a good idea. Andy has said they won't release things that show people in a poor light so doubt much of this'll be released
    late 60s Diana work - there could possibly be things from 69 where Di was testing and working with further producers in preparation of solo work

Bluebrock, I wonder if that is why they are holding back these few deluxe editions but then again,maybe not. I am hoping for a Supremes 70s Lost and Found and maybe a Diana solo. I did hear there are more tracks from Blue that are in the vaults
    David - there are certainly enough 70's Supremes tracks left to warrant a 2 cd lost and found. Such an idea has been suggested but as far as i am aware there are no definite plans as yet. The tracks involved are mostly from the Jean Terrell years. Virtually all of the Scherrie years have been released. Not sure there are sufficient tracks left for a Diana solo set unless they put together a lot of the bonus material released over the past decade or so. I have not heard about additional "blue" tracks left in the vault, but i doubt there will be many. Diana herself had no recollection whatsoever of the "blue" sessions which is quite hard to believe. She loves those kind of songs and i imagine she would have remembered at least some of these songs if they were still in the vault, but that is only my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    I think everyone is right about the volume of 60s content left. there could very well be a few things here and there but probably the majority of what's left comes down to:

Disney set
    more live sets
    perhaps a few alt versions and takes
    mistakes - versions or takes there someone is off pitch, makes a mistake. might be where they try something different or a different approach that was deemed, in the end, not a good idea. Andy has said they won't release things that show people in a poor light so doubt much of this'll be released
    late 60s Diana work - there could possibly be things from 69 where Di was testing and working with further producers in preparation of solo work
    I reckon you are right sup fan. There are indeed numerous live sets in there, most of which i imagine will be quite similar to the ones already out there. It is also true to say a few alternate versions are still in the vaults .
    The late 60's Diana work you suggest could exist is an interesting idea, and one that i wouldn't discount. I am not aware of any such work but who knows?

strange that Diana didn't remember the BLUE set but I am going to imagine that her recording schedule at the time with To The Baby, Touch Me In The Morning, Diana and Marvin and Lady Sings the Blues etc.perhaps she was overwhelmed with her career at the time

strange that Diana didn't remember the BLUE set but I am going to imagine that her recording schedule at the time with To The Baby, Touch Me In The Morning, Diana and Marvin and Lady Sings the Blues etc.perhaps she was overwhelmed with her career at the time
    She said she had no recollection of recording these songs and assumed she had recorded them around the same time as "lstb". What we must bear in mind is that it was Diana's job, and we do not always recall everything we did in our job. For us it is a hobby and we are always more interested in our hobby than our jobs.

true Bluebrock, I do think the Blue set is amazing . it seems Diana can sing anything from broadway to country to disco......very few can do that and do it well. I suppose that is why we are all still here.
    I think my favorite Diana era in 1976 -1980.

true Bluebrock, I do think the Blue set is amazing . it seems Diana can sing anything from broadway to country to disco......very few can do that and do it well. I suppose that is why we are all still here.
    I think my favorite Diana era in 1976 -1980.
    I think I may agree with you there, though 1970-73 was also excellent.

I think Diana gave us some wonderful music between 89 - 99.
    The only dark years for me were from September 81 until the release of "Eaten Alive" which although not a classic album, could at least be played through without the need to skip tracks.

The only dark years for me were from September 81 until the release of "Eaten Alive" which although not a classic album, could at least be played through without the need to skip tracks.
    They were indeed generally dark days. Things began to pick up with "swept away" after three very dodgy efforts, and with the exception of one album I hate but you love, it was a very consistent run through to 1999. Tactful or what Ollie?

They were indeed generally dark days. Things began to pick up with "swept away" after three very dodgy efforts, and with the exception of one album I hate but you love, it was a very consistent run through to 1999. Tactful or what Ollie?
    Well it did make me laugh....I nearly put 91-99, but a little voice in my head said "Aren't you forgetting a certain little album".

Well it did make me laugh....I nearly put 91-99, but a little voice in my head said "Aren't you forgetting a certain little album".
    If only I could forget that certain little album!! But having said that it was my introduction to working alongside Diana on a one to one basis , and for that I am eternally grateful. There is an old saying - never meet your idols, and in my experience that has usually been sound advice but in Diana's case she far exceeded my wildest expectations and I am proud of my long association with her.
    God bless her!

honest man Guest
    Have to disagree with you on this, i reckon there were some excellent songs from WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE Album Think im in love 2sweet surrender 3 it's never too late 4 two can make 5 sweet nothings etc so right for the time,and so glad it was released and not another chic produced set, the Diana 80 album- so boring except Upside down- Im coming out never play it- never did ,Silk electric also had some good songs especially Still in love- lovely,So close, Ross 83 hmm maybe a dud Pieces of ice about the best maybe the video influenced me there ha.Missing you -Swept Away were also great songs from 84 which brings us to Eaten Alive Experience- Chain reaction being the lead songs so in my opinion her albums from 81-85 were not that bad but songs that were good were very good in my opinion,cheers.

Have to disagree with you on this, i reckon there were some excellent songs from WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE Album Think im in love 2sweet surrender 3 it's never too late 4 two can make 5 sweet nothings etc so right for the time,and so glad it was released and not another chic produced set, the Diana 80 album- so boring except Upside down- Im coming out never play it- never did ,Silk electric also had some good songs especially Still in love- lovely,So close, Ross 83 hmm maybe a dud Pieces of ice about the best maybe the video influenced me there ha.Missing you -Swept Away were also great songs from 84 which brings us to Eaten Alive Experience- Chain reaction being the lead songs so in my opinion her albums from 81-85 were not that bad but songs that were good were very good in my opinion,cheers.
    Variety is the spice of life honest man. Glad you can appreciate some of the rca stuff but the likes of "sweet nothings" "pieces of ice" left me stone cold. Give me the Chic album anyday.

I think I may agree with you there, though 1970-73 was also excellent.
    agreed..love the albums from this era as well

I think had Diana recorded only WHY DO FOLS FALL and it was the lone such album, however, she continued to record similar style albums. I think half the songs from SE were out takes from WDFFIL lp. I think if it were the one odd album most people would enjoy it for what it was, but I think Diana tried to recapture the same style over and over again and by lp 3 it was over. to many covers for my taste ,although a few are good but a few we could do without. Red Hot was good in 89 because it was not produced by her and I feel if it were released in 83 would have done far better. I have condensed my Ross RCA playlist down to about 30 songs out of all those albums,and I really I could cut another 10 off that list. to me WDFFIL is up there with Last Time I saw Him but a little better .

It's funny how everyone has their own tastes. I loved the RCA years. I really liked Silk Electric. My favorite is Eaten alive and my least favorite is Red Hot Rythym and blues. The Chic Diana album was never a favorite. Only loved Upside Down and I'm coming out. The rest of the album was boring to me.

I appreciate that we all have different musical tastes honest man, and i am glad that you continue to reap enjoyment from those early rca albums.
    One point i have to disagree on is that WDFFIL was right for the time. I was in my late teens when this album was released, clubbing and buying everything out there. Songs like "Two Can Make It" and "It's Never To Late" sounded like they were warmed up leftovers from the late 70's. Two exceptions were "Mirror Mirror" and "Work That Body" which were most definately right for the time. I remember friends who knew i was a Ross fan making fun of this album because it generally sounded so dated in it's content. Cutting edge it was not.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 06-28-2016 at 04:01 AM.

Were Mountain and Love Hangover initially considered as possible singles?

Don't want to keep going over the same ground so I'll just say we'll have to agree to disagree on the RCA years.

There's no question that the majority of Diana's fans don't rate them quite highly but I'm glad that a few others besides myself on the whole really love them and there are some fantastic tracks - Still In Love, Touch By Touch, Swept Away, Forever Young, Chain Reaction, Crime Of Passion, Who, Tell Me Again.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post

Don't want to keep going over the same ground so I'll just say we'll have to agree to disagree on the RCA years.

There's no question that the majority of Diana's fans don't rate them quite highly but I'm glad that a few others besides myself on the whole really love them and there are some fantastic tracks - Still In Love, Touch By Touch, Swept Away, Forever Young, Chain Reaction, Crime Of Passion, Who, Tell Me Again.
    I think Mountain was always regarded as a probable single, and also hangover too, but as you know it was rush released to compete with a rival version by the Fifth Dimension. Had that version not appeared Hangover's release would have been delayed by around 3 months because Motown were convinced "ititalt" had the potential to be a major hit in it's own right and I am sure it would have followed Mahogany high up the charts had it not been binned in favour of Hangover.
    As regards the rca years your views are every bit as valid as mine and anyone elses. The tracks you mention are indeed gems and I could add "it's hard for me to say" "cross my heart" and "summertime" to your list along with perhaps a couple more tracks from "eaten alive", but I would perhaps struggle after that. I would love to tell you what Diana really thought of some of her output but I really cannot break a confidence. She sometimes visits this forum and at least one of her children is on quite regularly, and I have no desire to undo 25 years worth of good work.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Nick Ashford has stated that Berry didn't like the structure of AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH and wanted he and Val to get rid of the slow build and the drama, move the chorus up, etc. They refused and he just left it as an album track. But DJs started making their own edits and playing it and that made Motown release it as a single.

LOVE HANGOVER probably would have become a single. But its release was spurred by the Fifth Dimension releasing their own version.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Nick Ashford has stated that Berry didn't like the structure of AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH and wanted he and Val to get rid of the slow build and the drama, move the chorus up, etc. They refused and he just left it as an album track. But DJs started making their own edits and playing it and that made Motown release it as a single.

LOVE HANGOVER probably would have become a single. But its release was spurred by the Fifth Dimension releasing their own version.
    I think you are quite correct Reese, but Berry was fully behind the idea to restructure "reach out i'll be there" which incidentally was Luther's personal favourite track by Diana. Luther had some great ideas for his proposed album for Diana including another remake of a classic Motown song which many people in the know claim was actually recorded in a London studio in the mid to late 80's. Very intriguing...................

I think you are quite correct Reese, but Berry was fully behind the idea to restructure "reach out i'll be there" which incidentally was Luther's personal favourite track by Diana. Luther had some great ideas for his proposed album for Diana including another remake of a classic Motown song which many people in the know claim was actually recorded in a London studio in the mid to late 80's. Very intriguing...................
    Do you think Luther's interest in REACH OUT I'LL BE THERE led to it being put into the Return To Love set list? Luther turned up for both the opening and closing nights of that tour. Her singing REACH OUT... was certainly unexpected, but I loved her performance in concert much more than that on the record. When I saw her in 2002, I think she performed it as well.
    Last edited by reese; 06-28-2016 at 12:00 PM.

Reach Out t I'll Be There is really a good track. think the best version is on Ross 78.
    not sure what Bluebrock is talking about, but if she recorded it, maybe one day well hear it. hopefully b4 I need a hearing aid.lol