[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    From what i was told "stay with me" had previously been recorded by Roberta Flack and her version had been played on some of the quiet storm radio shows. This in itself is no reason why it could not have been a single but by this time Diana had departed Motown and the company had no real reason or desire to promote the album. I don't know who decided not to release "stay with me" but i agree it would have been a better follow up to "it's my turn". Diana herself did not approve of the release of the "to love again" album just as she had not been happy with Ross78, and i can well understand why not.
    I have always thought that Diana herself had a lot to do with Ross 78. Did she not select the albums artwork?.
    Roberta Flacks version of "Stay With Me" is excellent, as are all the songs from that album. Having said that it is Diana's version i find the more poignent. I do remember seeing posters for the album around at the time, plus Motown did release two singles form the album which though nice enough, never stood a chance of becoming hits. "Stay With Me" was by far the more commercial of the three new songs. Could it have been a copyright problem?.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I have always thought that Diana herself had a lot to do with Ross 78. Did she not select the albums artwork?.
    Roberta Flacks version of "Stay With Me" is excellent, as are all the songs from that album. Having said that it is Diana's version i find the more poignent. I do remember seeing posters for the album around at the time, plus Motown did release two singles form the album which though nice enough, never stood a chance of becoming hits. "Stay With Me" was by far the more commercial of the three new songs. Could it have been a copyright problem?.
    Ross78 was a rushed project. She was meant to do an album with the producers of the Village People but that project fell through. She had been busy filming "the wiz" and there was deemed to be insufficient time to record a whole new album. Therefore Ross78 was made up of unreleased material and a few previously released songs. She was not happy with the album. As regards the artwork I honestly do not know if she was responsible for the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    So far as I am aware there were no copyright issues Ollie. They just didn't appear to want to release a song so recently linked with Roberta Flack. I think I am right in saying Micheal Masser also produced Roberta's version. There was also another version knocking about which I cannot recall at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    So far as I am aware there were no copyright issues Ollie. They just didn't appear to want to release a song so recently linked with Roberta Flack. I think I am right in saying Micheal Masser also produced Roberta's version. There was also another version knocking about which I cannot recall at the moment.
    The whole featuring Donny album was produced by Roberta and Eric Mercury. I still regard it as one of her best. I really think the person or persons responsible for not releasing Diana's version as a single all deserve a thorough spanking, even if it was 35 years ago..."wow", can you believe. IMO it was a surefire hit, at least in the UK.
    This is my little list of songs that should have been the lead single, starting from 81.

To Love Again - Stay With Me.
    Why Do Fools - Right choice.
    Silk Electric - 2nd single Love Lies.
    ross - You Do It.
    Eaten Alive - Chain Reaction
    Swept Away - Right choice [[USA). Telephone [[UK)
    Red Hot Rhythm - Shine
    Workin Overtime - Say We Can
    Force Behind The Power - Right choice [[UK)
    Take Me Higher - I Will Survive then If Your Not Gonna Love Me [[Remix version)
    Everyday Is A New Day - Right Choice. 2nd single Until We Meet Again [[Remix)

P.S i chose Telephone for the UK as quite a few friends of mine who were not into Ross liked this one song from the album.....as did i.